Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Skip My Posts posted:

Funny stuff lmao

Hey SMP, have you done standup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

BiggerBoat posted:

I know nobody really reads this thread but I like it.

I just read a cool book called "I Killed", composed of road stories by various comics if anyone cares about that sort of thing .

I'll check it out.

While were on the subject, are there any book recommendations on joke writing or comics material analysis? I'm curious about the writing aspect of the standup trade.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

He's been retweeting and mentioning a bunch of right-wing dudes since yesterday. I honestly think it's part of a bit.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

ol yeller posted:

none of that is really what he was getting at (as he explained on the stern show a couple days back). he was saying that sexual assault is, unfortunately, a very common thing, with known support systems for victims. and what ck and roseanne went through (being famous and suddenly publicly blackballed) is fairly uncommon. he then adds that he doesnt really understand what the endgame of blackballing is, and that it is unrealistic to expect that ck and barr should just kill themselves or disappear, or if that really helps anything.

i dont necessarily agree with him but to say hes fighting the sjws is kind of misleading.

More specifically, he said that he didn't think the current model of blackballing someone for saying or doing the wrong thing and no way for him or her to gain foregiveness is untenable in the long term and that he put Roseanne in contact with Louis CK because no one else in his friends went through what they did (being blackballed by an industry).

Also, lumping Roseanne with people that commited sexual misconduct is hosed up and insulting to her, and victims of sexual assault.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

The Berzerker posted:

nobody posts in here but if you like standup and joke writing or maybe are one, the podcast "Good One" is great and today's ep with Chris Gethard was really good. The host basically gets a comedian on, they pick one specific bit, play it, then analyze it / how it was written etc.

Interesting, thanks for the recommendation!

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Gramps posted:

New Series premiers on Netflix tonight at midnight. Several absolute monster comics are involved. I am much excite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgrPpI91-XI

I won't watch it unless there's one (1) positive review in this thread and/or no more than two (2) average reviews.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
RIP Super Dave.

Also, Lol when people believe outright that Dave, Norm and Chris aren't funny. This current wave of comedy can't leave fast enough. I don't know if I want it to go back to what it was in the past but drat.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

WerthersWay posted:

There is no such thing as the current wave of comedy. It's something you made up to feel better. All comedy ages poorly. Literally, all comedy from the history of comedy.

Sure, we've passed and outgrown a lot of stuff when it comes to comedy, but the new stuff doesn't make me laugh at all. the state of comedy currently is kind of rough for my tastes. Like it's all manufactured and not really coming from an interesting point of view, it's all just about trump on TV for example. Open mics where I live (not the US) have comedians making jokes on the wall and it's just incredibly cringe. I've never done stand-up so I can't talk about the state of it for people on stage, but I do feel like people are more interested in finding and exaggerating their outrage on the subject of a joke instead of enjoying silliness for it's own sake.

Edit : I've been watching a lot of kids in the hall sketches these past weeks and by god those guys had/have an interesting points of views on things. most stuff nowadays has absolutely no edge in comparison.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 5, 2019

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Did people here actually listen to the Louis CK set that was leaked? Honestly it's on par with all the other stuff he's done and I wouldn't qualify it as right wing or bad. Not to everyones tastes sure, but now that I've listened to it I find there wasn't much to be outraged at.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Zoracle Zed posted:

"my jewish kike human being doctor won't let me eat ice cream"

How about the five minutes he spent before the punchline where he would set up how his doctor is great, loving and competent?

He worked on setting that punchline for five minutes by saying how nice and gentle and comprehensive his doctor was. The joke comes from the fact he likes the guy until he snaps all of a sudden when he learns that he can't eat ice cream anymore because of too much cholesterol. The punchline of the joke aren't the slurs, it's about how immature and stupid Louis is to hate the man because he can't eat ice cream anymore.

Zoracle Zed posted:

Also the I thought what was most strikingly right wing about the whole thing was the crowd reaction to a lot of it, like the guy in the crowd shouting "yeah gently caress them!" when the parkland kids came up.

Dude, do you really think that audience member was actually lusting for child death?

The set was fine and for something that's getting worked on I found it pretty sharp in some spots. The last joke was killer. The parkland bit was a bit flat.

Jokes really are like frogs. Once you dissect them, they're dead.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Yeah gently caress these kids for saying school shootings are terrible and going before Congress! Shut up dumb child and accept that gun violence is fine.

If you think it's good man you should just leave fox news on all day.

Please quote me back where I've said it's good.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Zoracle Zed posted:

I just said I thought they were lazy. You're the one trying to prove they're funny.

I laughed at some of the jokes, some were silly and puerile but you can take it on faith and if not we've got nothing further to say to each other.

quote:

Oh sorry racism and children not wanting to die is "fine" material in progress that we shouldn't judge him for.

Nice meltdown.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Posts short essay defending bad jokes from a sex offender

"No you're melting down!"

You don't get to have a say on if you found a joke good or not when you don't understand it.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Sinteres posted:

I still think the main problem for Louis is that he relied on goodwill to take the edge off a lot of his humor before, so he got a pass for saying things a lot of other people wouldn't have gotten away with, and he just doesn't have that amount of goodwill left to rely on right now. On top of that, whether he or you or I like it or not, people really have gotten a lot more sensitive about a lot of topics over the last several years, and while he managed to swim against that current to a large degree for quite some time (though he modulated a bit here and there too), he might have been better off playing nice for a bit if he wanted people to like him again. Maybe using his daughters to rehabilitate himself would have been lovely in another way, but talking more about them without calling them cunts could have probably helped.

Obviously he's rich and can do whatever the gently caress he wants, so if he's fine with alienating a bunch of people, good for him. I just don't think he's going to be very happy with the audience he ultimately ends up with if he decides he doesn't give a poo poo about all of this.

I agree, what he did is going to taint everything he's going to do for a very long time (ever even perhaps), but when I read what people were saying I was really expecting something bad whereas in reality, it was just very very similar to his older sets. It's not the jokes or his edge that changed, it's his audiences goodwill like you say. To me at least.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Did I think to much or not enough?

If you have to ask the question, You already know the answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYmn3Gwn3oI

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 8, 2019

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Zoracle Zed posted:

Yeah like personally I think the guy's a piece of poo poo but I always thought he was an incredibly talented standup so I expected him to (cynically) work out a set where he would toy with the idea of guilt and redemption while setting up long ways around to punch lines, kinda like Chapelle did with the trans stuff. I just think the set didn't exhibit any evidence of thoughtfulness or effort to avoid the most obvious routes. And like you said the crowds he's working in front of seem perfectly happy with the meat he's tossing them so it's hard to be optimistic about the future. It's pretty weird to see the main defense of it is "actually he's always been this hacky" but maybe I'm overrating his earlier work.

I agree with a lot of what you've written here. I don't think his material in the past was all that incredible but his new set doesn't sound all that different from his older ones. I'm sure time will tell.

I love Chapelle, I find him quite competent at introspection and he's got an interesting point of view when it comes to race inequality and justice. Although he has some backwards ideas on trans identity I believe he isn't completely malicious with it (There's no way for me of being sure, but all i've got is my gut as I've never met the man).

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Cael posted:

I don't think many people find it malicious. More that after being called out on it he doubled down and--I don't remember exactly what he said in the second special so I'm majorly generalizing--he effectively pulled the transphobic version of "look I don't have any problem with gay people but two dudes kissing THAT IS GROSS I DON'T GET THAT poo poo".

I don't remember his original comments on trans people that well, but I felt like he acknowledged he wasn't being very nice when he made that joke while still coming from a place of genuine introspection. To me, it felt like he was still uncomfortable with trans people. But he didn't think it was something anyone should be dragged out in the street and beaten for. That tension between what he feels and what he knows to be the right thing (letting trans people be) is an interesting idea for him to explore as it talks to his sensibilities.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Zoracle Zed posted:

Even if I agreed with that it would only make it all the more bizarre that his defenders are saying it’s just as good as his earlier work then.

For the record, I watched his new set because I was curious as to how bad it allegedly was, I listened to some of his sets over the years but never was a fan or interested enough to give him a dollar. The only thing I remember in his routines is the bag of dicks joke, comments about his daughters and how much he hated marriage.

I do agree with Megazver that it's a recorded bootleg, It's being worked on and ironed out. And that even if he's now considered a non-person, it doesn't change much if I listen to it or not and shouldn't bring ire from anyone. Just like it doesn't change much when I stop in the street to listen to an evangelical in the street and find entertainment that way.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

bango skank posted:

do you have a source for this bit? because everything i read is that if a woman didn’t consent or confronted him about it afterward he was apologetic

There was an article I read a while back that tracked the career of the women, some did some stuff, most didn't really progress all that much after the events although I'm not sure if they were really going places before either. Not trying to be snarky here.

https://www.thecut.com/2018/08/what-about-the-careers-of-louis-ck-victims.html

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

quote:

ok so you think it was bad because it's a work in progress and might be good in the future, whereas I think it's bad because it's lazy?

If we are oversimplifying things, yes. I'm not sure why you need to be right on this when we can both be, it's a subjective truth.

I don't know if his set is going to be great in the future BUT I believe that there could be a chance.

On that subject, stand-up Comedy is both art and science, the artistic part of it is subjective and you can find it lazy/bad/uninteresting/whatever. The Science part of it is observable and simple: did they laugh? If yes, the set is funny. Everybody here that listened to the set couldn't argue against the fact that the room didn't laugh their rear end off.

quote:

what does that even mean? who in the world said he wasn't a person?

It's an expression, is this really the first time you hear it? Calling him a non-person is in reference to the fact that no matter what he does now, his crime will forever be a taint on him in the eyes of many people. This isn't a new expression and you really must not be arguing in good faith like that guy obsessed with Fox News if you have to question everything I say like that.

quote:

what are you even trying to say here. in this metaphor, the evangelical is saying a bunch of dumb poo poo and you're pointing out the street preacher has said dumb poo poo before so... what? or eventually he's going to have a great sermon by the time he does sunday service? you're gonna have to spell this one out man

It's an example on the subject of being able to listen to something without it being an endorsement of that thing.

To get back to the subject of me saying I can listen to an evangelist in the street. I meant that even if I myself am not religious, if an evangelical dude in the street is screaming about judgement day coming upon me (or if the guy is a nazi, a jehova's whitness or whatever) It doesn't mean that I can't sit back and check out what he has to say.

Louis's set is kind of like that, you sit back and examine what you find interesting if that's your thing. If some people think that's a crime or a waste of time, good for them. I'm sure they've got nothing more interesting to do like compare him to some people I don't know about on Fox or whatever.

Louis Theroux for example did a ton of documentaries on Nazi's and listened to them and spent time thinking about what they have to say, the guy himself never turned into a Nazi.

In the same way, I can listen to Louis CK's stuff without it making me complicit in his crimes.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Someone is this invested in Louis CK in tyool 2019.

Talking about Louis CK on the Stand-Up Comedy Thread on a Comedy Forum. Who could do such a thing?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Can you explain what that link's about and your point of view on it? I think I've argued my point in good faith enough.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Zoracle Zed posted:

This whole thing started because you didn't understand why people thought it was bad. Then you agreed that it's bad, but allowed we just disagree on why it's bad. Then you said anything that gets big laughs is inherently good (so Dice is the greatest comedian of all time I guess), then you pivoted to some weird thing about how it's impossible to have an opinion on anything, and then brought up Nazis for some reason ??? Sorry man I kinda feel like you have no idea what your opinion actually is.

btw I've literally never heard the term 'non-person' before and it's weird as hell, sorry.

First, I don't think his set is bad. I think his parkland bit isn't as funny as the rest. His set is fine for a free forty minute bootleg of a comedian standup on youtube. It's not particularily great if I go by how highly regarded he was before his crimes came to light.

You didn't understand me at all even though I spent a lot of words to try and make myself clearer. I guess it's useless.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Zoracle Zed posted:

and like if someone said 'hey that nazi sucks' you'd say 'hey it's just a rough working set, it's too early to judge!' ?

I specifically used "evangelical" in my previous example so that even a moron wouldn't go around throwing hyperbole like it happens way to often now when people start saying Nazi. Thanks for proving my point.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

You wouldn't understand

That's fine, I'm just surprised that for someone that hates Fox news and their talking heads so much, you sure sound like you spend a lot of time watching their videos.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Laterite posted:

Hey, here's a hot take: Louis CK can suck the poo poo straight out of my rear end in a top hat.

He'd probably be into it tbh.

:itwaspoo:

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Zoracle Zed posted:

you literally said "or a nazi" yourself ya goof

As a second example because you needed clarification on the first one dumbass. You asked remember?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

RandomPauI posted:

For context, when a white person claims they're treated like a non-person they implicitly mean they're treated the way they treat minorities. I don't think the claimants ever self-reflect enough to make the connection.

It's not just minorities (although it often is, I'm not disagreeing) but people accused of crimes or that have gone to prison also get the treatment of being a non-person. Atonement and forgiveness is almost impossible to get nowadays in a culture that lives on outrage and "otherizing" people (hope that's the right word).

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Look, at this point this is just a circus, I'll just leave this here, It explains what I think and that's that. Anybody else that want's to dunk and gently caress around is welcome to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AhcSHLNZuQ&t=280s

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Sinteres posted:

I don't feel like he actually said much there. I mean of course Louis CK is going to still be able to find an audience if he wants to, and I don't think anyone's advocating for the comedy police to physically bar him from performing forever. Some people may actively wish he'd go away forever on his own, or that he'd be denied major platforms, but I personally just wanted him to show some evidence of growth/contrition and find a way to be funny again. I'm not personally owed an apology because a comedian I liked was a creep, or if his comeback isn't working fo rme, but as a fan it's still disappointing, and any excitement I had for his return is pretty much gone for now. If he does better material later on, maybe I'll check it out (especially if it's outside standup, where I don't think he does his best work anymore), but I won't blame anyone who thinks he's had more than enough chances at this point.

Going back to the murderer thing from the Norm clip, yeah, murderers probably should be able to get jobs once they've done their time, but realistically if you were employing a murderer, you'd probably be a bit more vigilant when it comes to inappropriate behavior from that employee than someone else. Forgiveness is great, but it doesn't mean everyone's memory of the past is erased.

Of course the victim has it worse and a murderer is a bad person. I don't think Norm's going to be disagreeing with you there and he says himself that it's self evident but I like the fact that he's got enough nuance and tact to think about things through.

As for the rest of what you wrote, I agree with you and I think it's well said.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Tig Notaro, Ellen Degeneres and Jeaneane Garofalo all have some great specials you can't go wrong watching.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

An Apple A Gay posted:

does anybody tape their shows and then sell the tapes afterwards like pearl jam

I don't think anyone that's a big name does that. They will have CD's and merch of previous material but usually they want to keep that stuff under wraps and sell it as a special to netflix or other networks once it's killer.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Nick DiPaolo is one of the most desperate people in comedy. He wants his thing to be a thing and so few care.

Well he lost his writing job on a show because of something he wrote on twitter that I don't remember, people got mad and so he just decided to go all in with the conservative humor because a liberal audience will never like him anyways even if he tries to atone for something.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

nah, it was something a few months ago.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
People saying Burr is Conservative don't know poo poo. He never once voted consevative as far as anyone knows. He hates Hillary but also hates Trump. Is married to a black woman that is very sensitive about race issues with whom they talk about often on their podcast. He doesn't trust cops. Was an avowed conservative in his young days and moved hard left later on as a comic and moved more towards the center where he probably is now when he started making money.

I doubt he'll stay left with all the money and fame he's getting nowadays. But people trying to say he's right leaning aren't involved or interested in what he has to say as a comic and should shut up.

Sure, he has a right leaning audience and the left hates that, but his act is often about things that people on the right and left should be able to agree on if you're not extremely online. One of his great skills in comedy is actually doing an act that doesn't go on one side at the expense of the other. His material on gun control for example where he admits having a gun in his home, but then starts insulting the NRA people and gun culture because he doesn't have the appropriate gun (according to them in his scenario) in his house.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Harminoff posted:

How many conservatives do you know that drive a Prius?

I have no idea what you're getting at.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Harminoff posted:

Bill Burr is an avid Prius driver, I've never met a conservative that would drive a Prius.

He's cares about the environment to a certain extent, sure. But he also has some right-ish leaning views, and some left leaning views publically. Equating the car a guy drives with what party he votes for is a bit extreme in most cases.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Jippa posted:

I'm english , saying some one is conservative doesn't mean they are a hard right monster. I wasn't saying he was. Like I said I find him funny and likeable in his actual comedy bits. Please don't over analyse what I said.

Fair enough man. I apologize. I think I'm just kind of tired of conversations about politics in the only thread on the subject of standup comedy on a Comedy webforum.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

DrVenkman posted:

Burr kind of carries the SOUTH PARK attitude of 'You're all loving dumb' that just comes from being an older white man. But Burr is also quick to put himself down for his older white man attitude. You can see why he attracts lovely people because there's overlap between him and the alt-right views. I think it was Conan where he's talking about things like due process when it comes to things like #metoo and it's like yeah if you don't know any better you would just assume he's one of those guys.

Yeah, you're pretty much on the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
a funny thing with burr was how he said in his first special he wouldn't ever get a dog. in the next special he had a dog and said he'd never get married. In the next special he had a dog, was married and said he'd never have a kid in this current world because he's too old, etc... in the newest special he has a dog, a wife and a daughter. As much of a crank that he portrays himself to be, he also does want to improve and bring positivity in his life. I like the fact that although he's negative about a lot of things, he wants to improve himself.