Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Yeah he really toned it down in King Baby, but christ, it slayed me in Beyond the Pale. I was actually kind of bummed that he eased up on it. I guess it's better that he's trying not to have it be his "thing" but that "I didn't know he was going to do bear jokes" part still keeps me awake at night giggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Tig Notaro's "Good One" and Amy Schumer's "Cutting" are both really good. Greg Proops' "Elsewhere" is also good, but it really is very similar to his podcast. And I'm gonna second "Death of the Party" because Kyle Kinane is loving hysterical.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

dik-dik posted:

On a different note, is Paul F Tompkins' recent stuff better than his old stuff? I sat through his first Comedy Central Presents special last night and laughed, on the whole, maybe once, and I think that was out of obligation more than amusement. I haven't seen anything else he's done, and before I waste any more of my time it would be cool to know if I'm in for more of the same or something different.

His first CC presents was pretty lame actually, his other stuff is really good. He's not everyone's taste, which I mean, what the heck. Like one of my good friends, a genuinely funny guy with good taste in stuff, didn't laugh even once during Impersonal. It was like finding out that he had been a girl all this time, or maybe had an extra nose growing off the side of his current nose that I had never noticed.

It's actually pretty terrible to be really stoked about a comic, and showing one of their specials to a friend, and just getting nothing out of them. It makes me feel like a failure.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Jessi Klein is another really good stand up that has a really good conversational voice. She says "you guys" a lot and it works pretty well.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Basically Daniel Tosh made a woman feel physically threatened with an extremely unfunny and tasteless comment following some of what could generously be called questionable material. I guess good on him for apologizing, but there is no way to angle this to make it cool that he said that poo poo. Plus Tosh's comedy over the last couple years has been mean-spirited and generally offensive and he sucks.

soggybagel posted:

I remember Think Progress from a long while ago. Since when did it become this all encompassing site that has someone blog about entertainment stuff? What the hell?

So your opinion is that you're largely on Tosh's side, but you don't like it when comedians like Louis C.K. say it's just words, but some of them can do it well, like Louis C.K., but they still need to think about how they make people feel, and in conclusion you can't have an act based entirely on shock. Do I have that right.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

Aw, come on. I just read that as him being fair about it and saying that both sides have valid points and while he's generally on the side of comedians, he acknowledges that there is a fine line there. That's not unreasonable.

Well you'll notice how you just said in two lines of text what it took him one million words to say, which is a start, but actually in this particular instance both sides do not have valid points. One of the sides is like, "it's okay to make jokes about rape because comedians need to have leeway in order to do their job, and this privilege may extend to making aggressive and violent statements toward a heckler, who can say really" and the other side is like, "no, what the gently caress, no." Tosh's actions demonstrate that he is a bad comedian who doesn't know how to toe that very fine line, but also doesn't know to therefore stay the gently caress away from it.

And of course comedians get special privilege on what they can say. I was reading an interview with Louis C.K. earlier, where he was talking about why he says verboten poo poo on stage; he basically said that he says it because he thinks it warrants discussion, and he wants to get into why stuff is hurtful or dangerous, and if not that, he brings it in the other direction into the realm of absurdity. Class act, that guy. But he's a good comedian.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Yoshifan823 posted:

This is just one instance, though. He does use a lot of that kind of joke in his act, but for the most part there's never been real mass outrage about it (aside from that one time it slipped into his TV show, but that's the difference between TV and live stand-up). There are plenty of comics that have had one bad night, and he obviously feels sorry, because he apologized about it.

I personally think he's an insufferable, offensive rear end in a top hat most of the time. That this all happened isn't even surprising; what he said would fit right into his TV show. People don't have to get outraged in order for his comedy to be awful. You can watch his standup specials starting with the first and he gets progressively more racist and misogynistic as they progress. Which is sad, cuz his earlier stuff was pretty funny.

Of course on this particular point I guess it's just opinion, even though seriously he's pretty awful.

Ariza posted:

I like comedy. I'm not a privileged middle class white male. Does that somehow make my opinion more valid in this pointless argument?

Pointless argument, what, this is the stand up comedy thread and we're talking about an actual thing that happened in stand up comedy

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Guys did you know that there are things like "crowd work" and "riffing" and that stand up comedy is at least partially an interaction between the performer and his or her audience, and that "listening show" stuff isn't really fair or accurate? And therefore if someone, in that situation, genuinely feels that something destructive and immoral is being said onstage, that they might also feel that they have at least some recourse w/r/t speaking back? And that even if all that weren't true, it doesn't matter, you can't say poo poo like that because it's toxic, unfunny, mean-spirited and physically threatening?

Or ok, do you guys know who Andrew Dice-Clay is? He is, or really kinda was, a stand-up comedian whose act contained awful, awful stuff, really virulent misogyny and homophobia and the like. Does he get the "just comedy" defense? He shouldn't, he made his money appealing to a crowd who shared or at least couldn't be bothered to apply any critical thought whatsoever to his hosed-up worldview. Tosh isn't on the level as Dice-Clay, but it's a difference of degree. The point is that this "just comedy" defense doesn't work; comedians shouldn't have carte blanche to say literally any hosed up thing they want onstage.

XK posted:

Why does him attacking the person have to be funny? He could've gone Hicks style, called her a stupid oval office and told her to shut the gently caress up, which also isn't funny, and isn't any less offensive than rape.

Are you kidding me.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
This is barely even about Daniel Tosh anymore I guess, more about this weird attitude that apparently, standing on a stage and telling jokes means that a person is completely divorced from any standards or sense of decency.

joff_b posted:

I think I sort of figured out why indigi and little blue couch are annoying me in this thread. They're saying rape jokes are never funny and that people shouldn't be saying them and I feel like it's my mother saying "You shouldn't do this! It's bad! Because I say so!" So subconsciously I'm thinking "I'm 22, mom, I can laugh at a rape joke if I want! You're not the boss of me, I hate you!"

I'm not saying that rape is a completely taboo subject, what I'm saying is that there is a way to handle sensitive issues and there is a way to gently caress it up. Just a few posts ago I talked about how Louis C.K. has a really good attitude toward addressing offensive material and manages to handle such material quite well. Anthony Jeselnik's offensive material works because his act is based around a totally over-the-top persona. Amy Schumer has a similar deal. And if you think that all rape jokes are funny or even acceptable then gently caress yes I judge you poorly.

-Atom- posted:

They should though.

Patrice O'Neil said it best that the material people might find offensive comes from the same place as a bit others view as being brilliant.

Yes okay lots of comedians have said that there should be no boundaries in what they can say, it's a good thing someone finally pointed this out. A comedian can talk about whatever he wants, and if he does a good job then he will have made a good joke, and if he does a bad job he will reveal himself as a dude who wrote and rehearsed this material and never once thought "hmm, wait a second, maybe these jokes are empty hurtful schlock."

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Sporadic, you have either missed the point of every post you've quoted so far, or you've posted some variation of "X comic is okay with rape jokes, so what's the problem" which, big surprise, is not the point.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

CommunistMojo posted:

You see only women can joke about regular rape and men are the only ones who can talk about prison rape. Don't make a gay joke in with the prison rape joke though that would be homophobic. Unless they're gay then it's cool.

It's good that someone finally came in with such a cogent and thoughtful summary of what he imagines someone's opinion might be, somewhere. How is it possible that so many people hear "hey rape is a sensitive subject that requires deft handling in comedy" and immediately lash out like they're being loving brutally oppressed. Christ alive.

Augh anyway. Mr. Universe was kinda weak, I thought, but the bit about Subway was so, so good. But what is it with Gaffigan and sea mammals?

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

CommunistMojo posted:

So female comedians doing it is cool got it.

Do you understand that men and women are different and have different life experiences and that it is a great deal more likely that a man is going to make offensive thoughtless comments on the subject of rape? That's why it's dumb to say "oh so a female comedian can do it and it's fine how is that fair." Yes it's fair.

Actually Mornacale put it pretty much better than I ever could, I guess if you have to pick one comment to fall on deaf ears you should pick that one and not mine. Mine is meaner, anyway.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Amy Schumer has a pretty similar sorta deal.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
I haven't actually gone up and done a set, but I did go scope one out a few weeks ago. There was a kid who got up on stage and I poo poo you not I have never seen a human being more terrified in my life. Like he was shaking so hard that his notecard looked like a hand-fan. But the best part was that his material was really funny. The one joke that sticks out in my mind is, okay, the kid is standing up there, he's shaking like a dry leaf in a strong wind, and he goes "I uh, I don't like kids, uh, I but I like goats." I was sitting there wondering if it was an act.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
"Me Doing Stand Up" is most def a funny set, may i recommend it to everyone. Norm MacDonald is a weird funny guy who does weird funny poo poo like constantly.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
John Mulaney has been mentioned in the thread before but god, can I please just recommend him again? John Mulaney is like, insane hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
I think Amy Schumer works because she has a very clearly affected persona. You never think "wow that was a kind of unpleasantly hosed up thing to say, not sure about this," you think "haha that's a bang-on impression of an unpleasantly hosed up person." I think Sarah Silverman is a funnier writer than she is a stand-up, because her bits often boil down to her being squeaky and small and saying curses. Schumer gets onstage, puts on her cruelly-ignorant-barfly mask, and just loving nails it.