Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

You know you hosed up when you're too racist to appear with noted white supremacy launderer Joe loving Rogan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Josh Gondelman's new stand-up special, "People Pleaser," is streaming on Amazon Prime Video, and it was really funny. It was one of my two favorite specials of 2022 so far.

Oh I used to gig with Josh! I need to check this out ASAP, that dude is a total sweetheart

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Coco13 posted:

If I went to a theater for a stand-up act, I’m expecting to see someone that’s got a polished 60ish minutes that’s been pretty finely honed. At a comedy club, hopefully they have some funny bits they can rely on, but also they might be playing around with some things that they want to polish. My guess is that “a comedian at a theater” would be the draw over “this specific comedian at a theater” to a lot of people.

Yeah a polished hour is way funnier but seeing a good comedian working poo poo out at an open mic or in a club is fascinating to me.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I have a lot of respect for anyone that even tries it. I can be funny here and there and have been described as funny by some but it's always contextual and based on things that are happening naturally unless it's a joke I'm telling. For the life of me, the idea of having to be funny at exactly 8pm on a thursday night in front of a bunch of people expecting to laugh is really daunting. Like, regardless of your mood, what kind of day you had, how long you had to work poo poo out (like you said), the pressure of really needing to deliver no matter the circumstances or the environment has to be intimidating, if not completely terrifying.

I've been to some open mic nights and have thought about trying it myself and even if they're not doing well I have a lot of respect for anyone who tries. BE FUNNY on command...NOW!...Man.

It's like...imagine the difference between even finding some funny poo poo to riff on at a party in a small group compared to how funny you might be if suddenly the whole party got silent and started listening to you tell your jokes.

Hey, being funny on command is a skill, and like any skill you can train it and get better. Stand up is a bit different from the scenario you're afraid of, because people are there to laugh and be told jokes. It does take a while to get good, and you'll bomb a lot when you're starting out, but the good news about that is no one at that open mic will remember you bombing unless you say something heinously bigoted or something. And since you're probably not the type to pull that poo poo, guess what? You're already ahead of the bottom 30% of people at open mics! You can just keep building up jokes and your ability to tell them and one day you'll be able to say " hey I can kind of do this" and then a while later, if you stick with it, "Hey I can really do this!"

All that said, hitting open mics is a lot of work, and standups as a culture of people can be a very fun hang or kind of a lot. Or both! Personally it's why I stick to sketch and script-writing, because I get overwhelmed pretty easily. But in any sub-culture, you can also find your people, and there are plenty of standups who are nice and who you'll want to spend time with.

tl;dr You can do this if you want to, everyone else started out from where you are right now too, it's just a matter of how long they've been doing it.

EDIT

skeletronics posted:

Better advice than mine
Listen to skeletronics!

Strange Cares fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 5, 2023