Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

jimcunningham posted:

Anyone hear about Dane Cook imploding last night?

Hmm...not until you brought it up. Here is a brief summary of what you're talking about, I think. Ouch.

Edit: apparently AV Club has some adware crap on it. The link is here, so click at your own risk.

Taken from the site:

The AV Club posted:

Last night, audiences at Los Angeles’ The Laugh Factory were treated to a surprise set from comedian Dane Cook—and by “treated to,” we mean “bombarded with,” and by “set,” we mean “the egotistical ramblings of a narcissist who has lost all touch with humility and quite possibly humanity.” At least, that’s the basic gist of several eyewitness accounts from some of the comedians who were there—some of whom, like Daniel Kinno, found themselves bumped so that Cook could take the stage for as long as he wanted while he worked out new material, a raw process of discovery that Kinno describes thusly: “Watched him spiral for 45 minutes before I left. Could have been worse, he could have done his act.”

YouTube star Jenna Marbles was slightly less charitable or pithy, saying, “Dane Cook took a poo poo on everyone. Might as well have been literally.” And stand-up comic and Late Night With Jimmy Fallon writer Ali Waller provided a more specific appraisal, saying, “Glad Dane Cook stopped by the Improv tonight, otherwise I'd never hear the story about how he ‘chainsaw-hosed’ a ‘disgusting whore's oval office.’” (Aww, you missed that? Yes, you missed that.)

But no one offered a more detailed—or more scathing—review than comedian and actor T.J. Miller, who spent last night and much of this morning unspooling his assessment not only of Cook’s set, but his entire career and current state of mind. Here it is, in chronological order:

“loving Dane Cook is eating [poo poo] at the laugh factory. He bumped [Bobby Lee] and is being just mean… The hubris of this man unfortunately led to his fall, but I'm afraid he is a damaged man & well, that's about it. He [is] certainly not a comedian… Watching him try and work through his own poo poo on stage when he is saying, ‘Go gently caress a dirty whore. That's the best therapy.’ #lord… Dane. You've been doing standup for so many years and you still believe it’s okay to bomb and talk about your issues? You. Didn't. Earn This…

I remember hearing [about] someone named 'Dane Cook' in college on Napster. I heard Harmful If Swallowed after college… Then there was a backlash (there always is, it's inevitable), but it grew. It was more than I could believe, and it was due in part to him… I liked him. His snake bit, a lot of sort of absurdist stuff. Suddenly he was on SNL, he was the 'king' of MySpace, [and] he was famous. Good Luck Chuck and Vicious Circle sealed his fate in contemporary culture.

And then last night, he got on stage and was vicious, misogynistic, cruel, and arrogant. He talked about not paying for an abortion. He talked about finding some whore to gently caress to take out his anger at his ex-girlfriend. He talked about how girls would do anything for him ‘because I'm me.’ He got mad when people were texting. ‘Dane Cook is onstage,’ he said. ‘Have some loving respect.’

Here's an idea, Dane: have some loving respect for the audience that gave you the chance to be what you dreamed of being, and don't be mad at them because you hosed it all up from hubris and thirst for fame. Don't disrespect the people that gave you a chance. Don’t do an hour of mean-spirited trash. And Dane Cook, certainly don't ask anyone to feel sorry for you. If you are the person you were onstage last night then you are not a good person. And the way you talk about women is disgusting and pathetic, but really just hurtful. So Good Luck Chuck. [You] need all the luck in the world to realize you need to go to therapy & figure out how to not be a hateful person. Stop performing until [you] do so.”

Cook has yet to comment on (or notice, perhaps) either Miller’s review or his own performance, although he did respond to one fan’s expression of gratitude for stopping by, saying, “Incredible night. Felt connected/something special happening.” Sooo.... “special” like “forging a bold new comic voice” special? Or like “chainsaw-loving a dirty whore’s oval office” special?

Urk! fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Most Americans today probably know him from the Golden Globe stuff first and from creating The Office (UK) second, with stand-up being a veeeeery distant third.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
It's also nice to see the comedians have complete creative control of the final product, just like podcasts :)

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
A new Dana Gould Hour dropped today. Pretty nice since it's been a once-a-month schedule and he's released one already this month.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Pretty sure he's also live tweeted other sports events that aren't so boring (boxing comes to mind), so yeah he probably is excited/has cash riding on someone doing well.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

toanoradian posted:

Jim Gaffigan releases his new stand-up special, Mr. Universe today! It's available for 5 dollars and you can download it directly from his website, just like the one by Louis C. K. and Aziz Ansari. I can't fathom why you wouldn't like Gaffigan, so go and download them.

Also, don't forget for every purchase $1 goes to the Bob Woodruff Foundation.

Edit: And Reggie Watts does the music!

Urk! fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 11, 2012

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

jyrka posted:

PFT's special was great, Oswalt's not so much.

I agree with you that what Comedy Central showed for Patton kind of sucked compared to his other specials. Oswalt's performance suffered from the editing that basic cable stand-up usually has to put up with. However the full-length album is far better than what they put on since Comedy Central removed some of the best bits from the special completely, and because CC neutered the bits they did play. I still think Finest Hour is a far better album than what was shown, and fans should seriously check this album out.

I really enjoyed PFT's special as well, even though I'd heard some of the stories on podcasts beforehand (his Weird Al story is on an old episode of CBB). If you're a fan of PFT or his Tompkast and have seen his special, he posted his encore performance which is incredibly similar to the usual intros to his podcast.

Urk! fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 27, 2012

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

FitFortDanga posted:

The "Laboring Under Delusions" DVD has a 16 minute encore (for a total of 90 minutes), a behind the scenes look at the Tompkast, and audio commentary by "Garry Marshall". loving awesome.

The encore is available for free here.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
So a couple of new comedy albums came out today; Graham Elwood released Palm Strike Dance Party and Bobcat Goldthwait released You Don't Look the Same, Either.

Anyone plan on buying either of these? I'm really interested to see how funny Bobcat's album might be.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Hmm, you probably own most if not all of these albums, but some "must own" albums for me are:
both PFT albums
Patton's first and third album
Jeselnik's Shakespeare
Marc Maron's This Has to be Funny
Todd Barry's Falling Off the Bone
Louis CK albums (Word - Live at Carnegie Hall just came out. It's great, and it's only $5)
and the blatantly obvious older albums from Cosby, Carlin, Rodney Dangerfield, Hedberg, ect.

Some albums I enjoy but aren't maybe for everyone are:
Dan Telfer's Fossil Record (it's really short but great)
Dana Gould's Fun House (early Dana, so hit-or-miss sometimes)
The Absurd Nightclub Comedy of Eugene Mirman
Greg Behrendt is Uncool
DLM Premium episodes (suprise! But really, $2 for an hour and a half of pretty good entertainment is a bargain)
NNF Seasons

Probably that entire list is blantantly obvious to everyone here, but hey you never know. :)

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
I doubt you'd see that kind of comedy line-up often. Then again I've never lived in a city that'd host something like this, so maybe it's common? Guess that'd be the deciding factor for you. I have family in Chicago and they've never mentioned a line-up like that before. God drat it, I've really got to move to a major city like Chicago.

If you aren't crazy about the comedians though and it's too much money, then why ask?

E: That'll be an amazing DLM though (assuming Doug can pull that off...)

Urk! fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 11, 2013

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
It looks like all of the online comedy sites are reporting about Bob Odenkirk teasing a Mr. Show tour and possible reunion on Monday's Speakeasy with PFT.

Which, coincidentally, might explain this old tweet from Scott Aukerman:

@ScottAukerman posted:

look at these weirdos

I'm guessing we get some (probably in-the-can already) material from Earwolf whenever the group decides to do whatever it is they're doing. Should be awesome.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
So has anyone listened to Posehn's new album? Any opinions?

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Has anyone watched Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee? It's Seinfeld interviewing other people in the comedy field while they drive to a random diner for breakfast in a random car.

I've watched a few and, while the guests and the interviews are interesting, Seinfeld occasionally seems kind of passive aggressive.

Not sure if anyone else felt that way, or if it's just me.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Shovelbearer posted:

Kyle Kinane just released a $5 special called "Dancing Around the poo poo Fire" on Chill.com:
http://chill.com/l/P6R

Awesome, thanks! Going to watch it now.

E: Just so it's clear, this is a special Kinane produced and opens up for, but not a purely one person stand-up special. 10-15 min. of Kinane tops.

Also add me to the list of people loving the new Bamford album. I think it might be my favorite of hers.

Urk! fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 23, 2013

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Has anyone listened to Braunohler's new album? I haven't heard much of his standup but he's definitely great on podcasts/radio...

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Groucho Marxist posted:

I don't know if he can avoid it unless he just does smaller, alternative venues.

If word got out Chappelle was doing sets at UCB, the audience would quickly shift from what it is now to the douches he's trying to avoid. It'd damage the venue.

Unless he did alt venues randomly and unannounced, maybe that'd work. I know he did a tour through the South recently that had little to no advertisement, maybe it succeeded.

The cynic in me thinks, even in UCB there's going to be at least a few people shouting at the guy. That'd be far better and more manageable than other venues, but still annoying.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

NienNunb posted:

Is I Am Comic any good? Cause that's the only part that really piques my interest.

It's worth a watch. I think it's on Netflix streaming too if you have that.

They're making a sequel to it called "I Am Road Comic" which apparently features Doug Benson, fyi.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
drat, I'm jealous of all of you who get to see these comedians.

I need to move to a major city.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Just wanted to say if you enjoyed Jimmy Pardo's "Pompous Clown", you'll love his new album Sprezzatura.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

The Berzerker posted:

I saw Maria Bamford again tonight, she was on Andy Kindler's Alternative Show (along with a bunch of locals, and John Mulaney, and Jon Dore, and Kyle Kinane, and Aziz Ansari showed up as a surprise). Also saw Mulaney do a full hour earlier in the night, he was fantastic. It was all new stuff.

Awesome, can't wait for a new Mulaney album. Even though his first two albums cover a lot of the same topics, they're both funny as hell.

Actually that whole lineup is solid, jeez.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Apoplexy posted:

Man, Patton's new special is only on Epix and I can't get at it. :I They loving advertise that they are giving out free 14-day trials, but they apparently don't think to actually send the loving emails out for it, or whatever the goddamn deal there is. It's been 12 hours and I still can't watch it.

So what did everyone think of the special?

I loved it (Patton is one of my favorite if not my favorite comedians), but I'm not sure I enjoyed it as much as his other specials. The stories were interesting but somehow seemed lighter on the punchlines. Still a really funny special though.

Also, kudos to him for releasing it in a pseudo-free format. I'm not sure he planned the watch-for-free-with-free-trial thing when he signed on to epix, but he definitely tweeted about the trial before the special aired. And thanks to ya'll for the reminder, I almost forgot about that.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Louis CK just sent out an e-mail to announce he's releasing his old indie film tomorrow on his website.

Apologies for the wall of text, but here is Louis' description of the movie:

Louis CK posted:

...I made this movie, meaning I wrote and directed it, back in 1998. I was a struggling comedian and TV writer at the time and I pulled together my savings and some of my fiends money to make this movie on black and white 16mm film. There are some great people in this movie. Steve Carell, JB Smoove, Wanda Sykes and Conan O'Brien are some that you might have heard of. Robert Smigel, Chuck Sklar, Rick Shapiro, Heather Morgan, Nick Diapolo, Martha Greenhouse, Greg Hahn, Carey Prusa and Joseph Dolphin, you may have heard of a little less but they are all terrific. In fact all these people are comedians and actors I had been working with and around back in the 90s and I wrote all of their parts for them specifically. To me, that's what this movie was for, to create performance opportunities for all my favorite funny people. And to photograph them with prime lenses on Black and White reversal film.

Tomorrow Night is a bizarre little indie film and it gets pretty weird. It was a labor of love for me. It's how I learned to direct and there are some wonderful performances in it. The crew included some folks that still work with me today on my FX series "Louie" including director of Photography Paul Keostner and production designer Amy Silver.

Tomorrow Night screened at the Sundance film festival as well as other festivals from Seattle to Sweden. But it never got distribution. Any black and white movie is tricky to get a market for and this one is particularly strange. But it's funny and it's well worth watching. That's what I think, anyway. It certainly isn't for everyone.

In any case, Tomorrow Night has been sitting in storage in film cans for 15 years. No one has ever seen it. There are no tapes of it or even clips of it anywhere.

Once again, TOMORROW NIGHT will be available tomorrow at noon (I know that sounds funny) at louisck.com for 5 dollars. You can pay with paypal, amazon payments and odwalla or whatever that other one is. I think Odwalla is the company that makes fruit smoothies.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Not a fan on Juanita's? Don't blame you.

I'd take the trip, just for the hell of heading out of the state.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Ah, I gotcha. I read 4 hours as one-way and figured you meant out of state.

Either way, sounds way better than Juanita's :)

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

nerve posted:

The new Todd Barry is up

https://buy.louisck.net/

Just a heads-up, this isn't a prepared stand-up set with a large amount of crowd work in it. The entire special is Todd doing crowd work.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

nerve posted:

I just finished it and it's incredibly funny, I recommend you all purchase it.

Yeah, I second that. Definitely a funny special.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

DangerDummy! posted:

Old-rear end comedy fans... during the 90's...

90s comedians are considered old now?

Well, poo poo.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
For anyone who enjoyed the documentary "I Am Comic", Jordan Brady has released the sequel about road comics.

I Am Road Comic posted:

Interviews with T.J. Miller, Pete Holmes, Marc Maron, Doug Benson, Jim Norton, Judah Friedlander, Alonzo Bodden, Maria Bamford, Jen Kirkman, Auggie Smith, W. Kamau Bell, Nikki Glaser, Wayne Federman, Seth Milstein, Oni Perez, Alysia Wood, Kris Tinkle, Traci Skene, Brian McKim, Tim O’Rourke, Tom Rhodes, Kyle Kinane and yours truly.

I haven't seen it yet, but the first doc did a good job of explaining a lot of stand-up terms and had great stories. I bet this one will be good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
I've read so many reviews comparing it to Seinfeld that I'm starting to think they're hoping for the same results as Seinfeld had, i.e. nobody watching/liking the first few seasons then it finding it's stride/audience.