Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Rewatched Bill Burr's I'm Sorry You Feel That Way special and, goddamn, I love his act outs and mic work. So excited to see him on the 12th!

ChickenArise posted:

Shawcroft is reasonably nuts, assuming she even ever really got clean. I've only really briefly interacted with her when she came to a torrent site I was on that was hosting Los Enchiladas! back in the day. Doug Stanhope was ranting about her recently though; apparently she's sitting on tons of unreleased material.

If what Doug said was true, I can kind of understanding her reasoning. She doesn't want to release it because she's afraid it would tarnish Mitch's legacy. Sure, diehard fans would love to hear bootleg recordings of him working out new material and things that he cut or never got quite right for a special, but other people would be like, "Oh, man, I thought this guy was good."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

HEY NONG MAN posted:

As a fellow mic'er, there's so much advice I could give (and take) but for a first timer:

-clear the mic stand if you're going to hold the mic
-try to have a punch line or pregnant pause every 20-30 seconds
-don't apologize or make fun of the fact that you're not funny
-don't worry if no one laughs because chances are the audience is 95% comics waiting to go up

So what that means is that while you're waiting to go up you should watch the other comics and laugh at their jokes. It will make you less nervous about your set and maybe have a positive effect on the room.

All good points. I would add:

- don't fumble with the mic cord, it's a dead giveaway that you're pant-shittingly nervous

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The Berzerker posted:

I did stand-up tonight for the first time, with 11 other people who were also doing it for the first time. The advice in this thread was pretty useful. Thanks, goons.

Come join us in the "I'm a (wannabe) Comedian" thread. This is more of a "I Enjoy Comedians" thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3517952

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Bert Kreischer reads his own audiobook. I've got the physical book, but haven't read the whole thing. He has some pretty entertaining stories.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Chromatic posted:

Stanhope's book is going to be loving amazing. You know the dude has stories out the rear end filled with debauchery

If I didn't already know how, I would learn to read for this sole purpose.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Goddammit, that's sad. Patton seems the type to go the Rick Moranis route and I can't say I'd blame him.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Chromatic posted:

Stanhope released a little from his upcoming book.

:allears:

http://app.snapapp.com/Stanhope_excerpt1

Welp, I came to post this because even that page and a half was enough to make me buy it!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Aha! Doug posted another excerpt (just in case anyone wasn't convinced that they really, really want to hear these stories).

http://app.snapapp.com/DiggingUpMother_excerpt2

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Well, this is my favorite piece of comedy that I've seen lately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuOnfTshpP0

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I usually love avant-garde comics like Brent Weinbach and Kate Berlant but this one didn't hit for me. Is he really like this in person or is it just an act because it seems waaaaaaaay too much of the latter? Brent and Kate are just as weird (I mean that as a compliment) off stage as they are on it.

It's a character and I wouldn't say he's going to any great length to hide the fact.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Meatlong Football posted:

Just bought my pass for JFL42 Toronto. There is only 1 Tig show so I wanted to get in early and not have to sit in the balcony. The headliners seem less impressive to me this year but there aren't any Youtube stars and that has to count for something. Maybe I'll finally get to a Todd Barry show this year. Oh hey Emo Philips is doing a couple shows.

Kindler's late shows slayed me last year so I'm definitely going to those again. He is so god damned funny in front of a microphone.

I'd love to see Emo Philips

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Bo Burnhams special is really good, better than his last which I loved.

The chip joke

Ah, see, I didn't like it quite as much as what., but still really enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for comedy that drifts closer to one man show than traditional standup.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I liked the new Jim Jefferies special, but I like Jim Jefferies in general.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Hahaha, holy poo poo, as I read your post I was thinking, "sounds like Geoff Tate." I'd love to catch him, since he's a loving killer story teller, but I don't think he's come through Denver since I've lived here.

Edit: I've managed to catch Tom Segura twice in the last two years and it was really cool to see him working through what would become his latest hour. It was a little disappointing seeing him the second time, since the hour had just released, because a lot of the jokes were the same, but that's kinda understandable when you're between hours and still expected to fill the time.

XIII fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 10, 2016

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Saw Stanhope last night. He was good. Roseanne Barr did a guest set. She was pretty good too.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Shovelbearer posted:

How was Kristine Levine?

Alright. I thought she was the weakest part of the lineup. My friends liked her more than I did though.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Hahaha wait, you gotta give us more details. He has people leaving from his own taping?

They show at least one person leaving the taping (I was listening more than watching, so there might have been more) and he mentions that it has happened at every show. Overall, I liked it. I couldn't help but be a little disappointed in the "can you believe they sell luggage at the airport" bit though. It's such a worn out premise that I assumed he was using it as a way to subvert expectations, but, nope, it was just another "who waits til they get to the airport to buy a suitcase" joke.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

If anyone's in Colorado, our annual comedy festival is this coming week! I'll be running all the shows at 3 Kings. Come say hi!

http://www.highplainscomedyfestival.com/#home-1

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, I'm planning to grab the audiobook for Stanhope's book. I usually prefer reading things for myself, but I feel like this one is better being heard.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Gramps posted:

I sincerely hope you guys are listening to Kyle Kinane's new podcast with Dave Stone. It's called The Boogie Monster and it's real good. They're supposed to talk about various paranormal/spooky stuff but they usually get sidetracked talking about food. I eagerly await each new episode. It's my new favorite thing. http://podbay.fm/show/1139926236

Seconding this. It's an immediate listen for me, every Tuesday.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Seeing TJ Miller tonight. Seeing Nate Bargatze next week. Life's alright.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The Berzerker posted:

I saw more comics last week btw. Nate Bargatze, Emo Phillips, Ron Funches, Gary Gulman, Andy Kindler, etc. - even saw Tom Green which was fine (better than I expected tbh)

What did you think of Nate Bargatze? I saw him a few weeks ago and he loving crushed. Even the bits that I already knew had me drat near in tears.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I would like to echo the last two posts. Also, I hope they put the video for his new special up for purchase. I'd gladly throw Comedy Central another $5 to be able to watch it as well.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

He's also super loving nice. I got to hang out with him awhile back at a comedy festival and he was just an all around good dude. I think the coolest thing was that, even though he was only booked on the final show of the fest, he came for the entire festival and would just hang out and watch the other shows. Most comics (understandably) stuck to the green rooms and whatnot, but Kyle watched a ton of the shows from the middle of the audience. You could tell he just loves comedy.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'd heard about the coma, but not that she'd woken up. Yay!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Sometimes people get back together.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Welp, the UK is leaving the EU, Trump was elected president, and Bill Burr is gonna be a dad. Crazy times.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Drinking game: take a shot every time Dave laughs at his own joke and slaps the mic against his leg

(only applies to his recent work)

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Haverchuck posted:

I watched some bill burr videos on youtube and now it always recommends videos of him with titles like "Bill Burr ANNIHILATES STUPID FEMINIST BITCH"

Oh, you think that's bad? Watch ONE video of Steve Hofstetter. I loving dare you

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Bill Burr's act outs and mic work are absolutely top notch. I saw him when he was working through that hour and that gorrilla bit had me crying, so I'm glad to see it into made the special.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I can kinda see his point. Schumer used to do a lot more unconnected one liners. Her first album is all one liners. Her more recent stuff is more traditional standup. I don't think I'd go so far as to say he was writing her jokes, but I definitely think there's something to the idea that he influenced her early material. I also liked her better back then, fwiw.

XIII fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 14, 2017

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

GoldfishStew posted:

Wow this thread is garbage and so are most of the posters within.

At least you're self aware

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone go to (or going to) Bridgetown?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

soggybagel posted:

Yes. It was fun.

Hell yes, it was! I flew in from Denver to help run it and it's been an amazing time. Which shows did you see?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Jurgan posted:

Just saw the Well Red Comedy Tour last Sunday. It was very funny, and if it's coming to your town you should try to see it, especially if you are a liberal and/or from the South.

Yeah, I'd planned to catch them when they came through Denver a couple days ago, but wasn't able to. Glad to hear someone's supporting them!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Why would you think Bill fuckin Burr would be able to accurately capture the perspective of a POC?

Duh his wife is black

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'm a big fan of Tom Segura (well, at least his standup. I hate Your Mom's House for some reason, but enjoy him on other podcasts) and enjoyed the new special, but I don't think it's his best work. I think his first Netflix special is my favorite of his. His first two albums were also pretty great.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Haverchuck posted:

I tried out a few episode a couple years ago, the corny intro song and all the sound bytes/audio drops made it sound like a morning zoo radio show. I thought I wasnt going to get into it. Then the very next episode was a Yoshi Obayashi episode and I had to pull over to laugh

I want to like YMH, but I just can't get into it.

\/\/JRE is what got me into Bert and Bert got me into Tom

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Popelmon posted:

The Todd Glass "Act Happy" special on Netflix is great too. It's so similar to his podcast. I loving love it but people who don't know his style (and his podcast) might be a bit lost.

Todd Glass is a super nice dude. I run a venue for a yearly comedy festival and he had a handful of shows there. He had a short list of special requests for all his shows, which would typically be annoying, but he was incredibly nice in how he went about asking and helped setup/breakdown the things he requested. When he was just hanging out in the venue, he would always ask how the shows were going and chit-chat instead of just spending the entire time in the green room. A few weeks later, he emailed me directly (he got my email from the festival director) to thank me. Sometimes you meet comics who act like they're better than the staff/volunteers, so it meant a lot that he took the time to be so kind. Little things like that really speak volumes about someone's character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Gramps posted:

Apparently Kyle Kinane has a Netflix 1/2 hour(?) coming out sometime soon. He was lamenting about how lovely it is on the newest episode of his podcast. I'm sure it's gonna be great cause he's never let me down before. Even the podcast when he's wasted and totally mailing it in is still pretty much always great. Hell, the halfassed improv-ed ads they do at the beginning of the podcast every week are funnier than most other podcasts. (The Boogie Monster for those not in the know)

Great podcast. Also, I saw him recently and, per usual, he crushed. If any of those jokes are on the half hour, it'll be killer.