Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I've never thought much about Dane Cook one way or another, but that sounded like some icky poo poo he was doing there, like on the level of a frat boy hitting an open mic on a dare. The best one of those was a guy I saw talking about eating maggots out of his dead grandmother's oval office. Really witty stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Space_Butler posted:

And the Dane Cook rant seems like something that's only worse because it lacks the context of being there.

Unless he was being sincere, the "be respectful, Dane Cook is on stage" line is actually pretty funny. The rest of the stuff that's been quoted a dozen times already in this thread is just kinda weird and douchey. If that's going to be his new persona, like some kind of new version of Jim Norton, then more power to him I guess. I'm not a big Norton fan, and I can't honestly see myself gravitating to some sort of piss fetish Dane Cook.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Bunk Rogers posted:

Bill Hicks?

If that's a direct lift from a Hicks bit, then the guy's got bigger problems than a general lack of wit. Bill was definitely capable of that kind of material, but he'd generally do it if the crowd already hated him and he felt like making things worse.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Ricky Gervais as a stand-up reminds a bit of Kevin James. Ricky's material is a little too precious for my liking, and Kevin's is incredibly pedestrian. They are both excellent performers, though. Between Ricky's HBO sets and "Sweat the Small Stuff" (I think?), I laugh a lot in spite of the weak writing and have a great time watching them.

edit: I actually just cracked up thinking about Kevin James' schtick equating eating a Big Mac to a bear getting hit with a tranq dart. It's too goddamn bad he made friends with Adam Sandler, he might have actually been in a couple of amusing movies.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 27, 2012

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I'm what a lot of people would classify as a nerd, but at the same time I get why a lot of people, typically, want to beat the poo poo out of 'em too. It goes double for nerd comics that go all passive-agressive and whiny towards a crowd that doesn't get their schtick.

It's odd that he doesn't throw Bill Hicks's name into his rant. He's what a ton of people would cite as the genesis of the alt scene, but there haven't been too many who have been more brutal to a "hostile" crowd.

His rant is atypically vague for him, but I understand fully what he's trying to convey (and whether I agree with him or not is a totally different story). He thinks that comics should be more like Lenny Clark or Nick DiPaolo, who've reacted to a crowd with physical violence, or at the very least Dave Attell or Louis CK who are a ton more cerebral in their crowd fuckery.

It's not worth pointing to who's right or wrong, because it's ultimately his opinion. But I can entirely understand his point of view, and even agree with certain aspects of it.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I had a mustache for a couple days, but my wife hated it, so... It's too bad too, because I looked uncannily like Jim Gordon.

Paul looks right with a mustache. John Hodgman just looks silly, though.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Al! posted:

Oh man this has opened up a whole wasps nest of crazy right here. Women shouldn't disrespect the sacred penis!

I admit it's a bit out of left field, but mutilating a child's body part for aesthetic/religious reasons is a pretty hosed up thing to do. I had a huge blow up argument with my Catholic wife when she was pregnant about the very topic.

If you want to go with the ironic "how dare she insult the penis!" schtick, that's great. Personally, I don't think people should go around skinning baby dicks all willy-nilly, and it is a specifically male problem/issue. I'm still not gonna get a red rear end about it if some woman makes a silly joke. You're being silly.

Well, it's male specific except for in a few of your more festive African countries. But that poo poo's just out of loving hand.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 13, 2012

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Also, congrats to all on turning this into the premier rape humour discussion thread on the Internet. I'm particularly impressed at the way no one is budging from their opinion so it's less an argument and more people shouting their opinions into the Internet.

Once I saw the comic book movie thread in CD turn into a four page argument about whether or not high heels and Scarlet Johanson having boobs were inherently sexist, I gave up on being surprised about what conversation could devolve into on SA.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Popelmon posted:

I really want to go to an open mic and I even have some material...but I live in a small town. In Germany. :smith:

This might be a broad, stupid question, but what is stand-up like in Germany? I guess I only ask because countries like England, France, and obviously Canada/America have their own distinct flavor and tropes. England being more manic and stream of conscious, France being a bit more absurd and goofball, etc.

My cousin is from Germany, and he's a huge stand-up comedy fan, but he really only follows American acts.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Kings Gold posted:

Sorry to interrupt the salacious argument about two good friends doing business together, one of whom is suffering a condition usually associated with personal charity, but it bears pointing out at about 50 seconds into this clip denigrating rappers there is a very young looking Ice-T apparently saying "Oh, gently caress you man," which sort of explains Kinison's appeal to people at the time (which I don't share either.)

My favorite thing Sam Kinison ever said was that Whoopi Goldberg was popular because the whole world got together and decided not to hurt her feelings.

And, yeah... That's about it, I guess.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

CombineThresher posted:

Kinison is only funny if you are an angry person who reacts that way to adversity on some level (the screaming/swearing, I mean). His act relied on audience familiarity to a big extent, kind of like Lewis Black today.

Kinison hit like a loving atom bomb when he first made the LA scene. His material was actually pretty edgy and outrageous, and the way he delivered it absolutely destroyed everyone because it was so fresh and fun. He was a unique comic voice, and its not out of kindness that so many people who saw him ascend the ranks thought he was brilliant.

Then comes the coke and the drinking and the gang of stand-ups he lorded over and used like a bunch of petty thugs. People stopped telling him no, which is how Rock n Roll Sam came to be, and his material went from being relatively clever to screaming human being jokes and talking about women like they were barnyard animals, and the lovely mesomorphs that think screaming human being jokes is about as clever as it gets, the same people that made Dice incredibly wealthy, thought he was the second coming.

Sam was amazing for a couple of good years, but he was a worst case example of someone becoming a victim of their own fame. Plus, I thought he was hilarious in Back to School.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Demitri's weird for me just because I really didn't do much more than chuckle when I saw him live, but I still thought his set was a lot of fun. I felt very British.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Yeah, it's pretty hard to get past that. Everyone always says how Eddie Murphy is one of the greatest comedians of all time on account of his early standup, but even ignoring the potential for his language to be deemed offensive in a reactionary way it never seemed all that well crafted to me. I've seen Raw and the other ones people cite as examples all the time and they've all felt like flat comedy trying to get cheap laughs by being edgy. It's difficult to tell if people are just looking at it with rose-tinted glasses or if it was only funny at the time on account of being revolutionary or what.

Norbit was poo poo though. I'm sure of that much.

I have no idea how old you are, but I was a kid when the Eddie Murphy specials hit, and they set the goddamn world on fire. He was the guy that was handed the torch by Richard Pryor (another guy whose work hasn't aged very gracefully imo) and, I guess it being a product of its time, was the funniest and edgiest thing going. There was literally no one I knew, kid or adult, who didn't think the guy was brilliant. There's still a few of his bits that hold up very well, but a lot of it is just plain cringeworthy now. Bear in mind, I'm from a generation that threw the word human being around pretty liberally until we decided it was time to grow up, and we also made Dice and Sam loving Kinison megastars. We've got a few things to answer for.

Speaking of old comedians, I saw that Jake Johansen has a fairly recent standup special on Netflix, and it might be almost 20 years since I've heard anything by him. Any good?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

If you're talking about "I Love You", the standup is great. But the direction/editing of the special is terrible.

I just watched it, and he's still very funny. He's one of those guys like Kevin James or Ricky Gervais, where even if the material isn't great he's a fun guy to watch for the sake of his delivery. But yeah, the direction is bizarre. The MTV editing was bad enough, but for some reason they decided to shove the camera up his nose every so often for good measure.

On second thought, I'm going to take Gervais out of the equation just because his last special was loving atrocious. Speaking as a dyed in the wool athiest, if there's one thing I cannot stand is listening to an athiest go on and on about how loving smart and clever they are. It's just goddamn exhausting and obnoxious. Yeah, we get it. Jesus was queer. Hilarious.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

escape artist posted:

Serious chat, incoming.

Alright so what's everyone's opinion on rape jokes and the c-word in comedy? Let me explain:

All of a sudden, there is so much outrage, just out of nowhere it seems, about these topics. Salon.com, Jezebel, even the Nation is writing about it. Some comics are joking that they should get a "Louis CK card" that allows them to joke about anything, because he never gets poo poo for his jokes.

Everybody acts as if people who make jokes... jokes, mind you, are MRAs or misogynists. What do you think? I mean, half the audience is women, and the whole audience is laughing.

I just wonder-- do you think in 20 years we'll look back on Louis CK and Daniel Tosh and whomever else, and think the same thing we do about Eddie Murphy now?

If you buy into Chris Rock's philosophy on stuff like that, and I kinda do, if it's funny, then it's okay to laugh at it. It's really up to your own moral barometer. There's a lot of grey area there, but what people find funny and what people find offensive is a pretty arbitrary thing.

Carlin's bit about Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd is hilarious. Tosh's bit about wouldn't it be funny if she was gang-raped isn't, but then again, there's no real joke there.

Also, and this is just from my personal experience mind you, I work with a lot of women, and I've observed men more than women getting uncomfortable with the word oval office, but it relies very heavily on context. I'm not a huge fan of guys referring to women as bitches and cunts. I had to dress down one of my subordinates for thinking the word "bitches" was interchangeable for "women".

Whatever. Long story short, it all comes down to personal taste, though prevailing social trends will eventually dictate how acceptable certain jokes will be, as evidenced by the whole Eddie Murphy discussion. If the social mass deems it unacceptable, eventually it's going to go away.

quote:

Mine is Jeff Dunham - I don't really feel like looking up the name of a Jeff Dunham special. You know, the one where he's racist and is an adult playing with children's toys and this creeps nobody out.

If you could think of the name of the special I'd be very grateful tia

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 3, 2013

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Ariza posted:

If there was any proof that this was true in any way or that the way it's dealt with was helpful in any way then we wouldn't be having this boring rear end conversation again. It's all conjecture based on feelings. As long as people on the internet's idea that 'shouting down' any idea that they disagree with is productive, there will never be an honest discussion and nothing will ever happen.

Ehh. You don't want to shout down any avenue of discussion, because talking about an issue is always healthier than ignoring it. On the other hand, I remember a thread discussing the Avengers movie devolving into a horrible three page discussion about whether or not ScoJo having tits and the existence of high heels is mysoginistic or not, and I was all "man, you guys ruin everything can't we just talk about the Hulk punching stuff".

Its annoying high wire act, but I'd much prefer people talk about stuff and scroll past the obvious chaff than people not talk at all. It's kinda the adverse of the one guy not catering to the angry megaphone crowd. It's pretty easy to recognize the stuff you're not interested in within three words and ignore it. Also, I think the discussion was better than average until the internet started shouting it down.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I asked this in the Netflix thread, but I want to get the point of view of the stand-up fans.

quote:

I have a question about the Jamie Kennedy documentary Heckler: Am I meant to take it seriously or as a joke? I honestly don't know, but I am confident that it fails badly in either case.

As much as I can tell, the parts about how it's crappy to yell poo poo at comedians while their performing are presented in earnest, but the parts with Jamie defending his films against people who were mean to him on the internet are meant to be a gag. He comes across as so gross and whiny during those parts that it just frigging has to be a joke, but something tells me he's being serious.

If you do opt to watch it (don't), keep an eye out for somethingawful.com's own Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka getting beat up by Uwe Boll.

If I was going to recommend this film to anyone, I guess it'd be you guys. But it is not good.

He seems to possess some self-awareness, and I get the feeling that much of the movie is meant to be self deprecating, but if it is, he's just so, so bad at it. I know he's been a feature performer in the Gathering of the Juggalos Fresh-rear end Comedy Tent, so the guy's got chops, but any clip they show of him doing stand-up, he is unfunny and bombing very badly.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I agree that the part dealing with actual hecklers at a show was pretty decent, but the rest was terrible. The only time I was on his side for the rest was when he was talking to the internet critic, and only because that guy was an even bigger rear end in a top hat.

I thought Louie Anderson's story about the drunk heckler was pretty funny, plus Maria Bamford's story about actually hackling other comics was pretty weird. If the movie had focused on what was supposed to have been the point of the whole thing, it might have been okay. The internet critic stuff was just very whiny. That one "rape baby" guy was absolutely awful, though. There's being an internet troll, an there's being... whatever the gently caress that guy was. Jesus.

quote:

Also the part where Uwe Boll proves his movies are good by beating people up was a real eye opener.

Everything that man does makes it so satisfying to hate him. If he was a wrestler, he'd have the audiences clamoring to see him get destroyed.

Speaking of stand-up comedians and wrestling, the Andy Kaufman documentary about his adventures in pro-graps, I'm From Hollywood, is up on youtube. It's a lot of fun.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

escape artist posted:

Oh and to the poster a few posts above me: Thanks for the Kaufman recommendation!

It's an okay documentary, but it's a little disappointing in that it was made during the era where we were still meant to believe that wrestling is real, so it lacks a lot of honest insight, and I wish we could get a bit more of an inside look at Kaufman and Lawler working together.

If you want a more complete look at the entire feud, someone posted about 35 clips covering as much of it as he could with the material he could get his hands on. It recycles some material from I'm From Hollywood, but there's also a ton of stuff I've never seen before.

Here's part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVJPAe4-lBM

And just for the hell of it, here's the complete and uncensored Lawler/Kaufman interview on Late Night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmHCx8lCl8Y

Hope you enjoy them.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

All this Dice talk has reminded me that The Day the Laughter Died is a thing that exists. Dice is a poo poo comedian, but releasing an album of yourself bombing in front of a dozen or so people is pretty amazing.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

Jackie Martling

Lemme ax you a ketchin, and if you's kin ansuh dis ketchin, you's kin gitcho diploma and you's kin gadjiate: what am tree plus five?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eSzkb_kvV2o&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DeSzkb_kvV2o

To answer you in a slightly less stupid way, Martling's very impressive in the sense that he's got an encyclopedic knowledge of "stop me if you've heard this" type jokes, and seeing him live is pretty great if you're drunk/high enough. But, yeah, he's pretty much a load, and most of the laughs he gets from his material comes from him. If we're talking about Stern show alums, he was actually a bit more fun to watch than Artie Lange.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 27, 2013

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Old-rear end comedy fans: there was a black guy who was moderately successful during the 90's. He had a flat-top, he wore loud 90's shirts, and his closer involved putting on a pair of coke bottle glasses, hiking his pants up, and pretending to be his grandpa. He used to yell poo poo about Ninja Turtles mostly.

Does anyone have any earthly idea who that was? It's been driving me nuts.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

urk the quack posted:

90s comedians are considered old now?

Well, poo poo.

I meant the fans, mostly dudes like me that would record HBO comedy specials by putting the boom box up to the TV speakers. But no, not like Kip Addotta old or anything. I'm gonna find this guy, god dammit.

edit: Ralph Harris. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8HP5EzcY-Q

quote:

There was a woman in the front row who kept bringing out her cell to "take notes for her blog" and every single comic told her to knock it off and she wouldn't and Gethard ripped into her in this incredibly polite way and it was just phenomenal. Anyway go see him.

How is this poo poo still allowed? It's not as bad as someone putting their phone up to record a live show, but if more than one comic asks them to stop, why does no one step in? It's so loving rude.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 16, 2014

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Politicalrancor posted:

Not that they were peaches themselves but growing up in southern california I feel downright spoiled by Mark and Brian. Mark could get creepy but he was mostly harmless. Is Morning Zoo style radio really like that?

They vary from lame to hacky to creepy to grotesque. There are some really gross assholes in the morning zoo biz. Mancow has always been a gross oval office, and he's somehow less odious than he was when he pretended to be born again after Howard Stern destroyed him.

The Grease Man was a personal favorite of mine. He suggested that someone should kill 4 more black guys so we could get the entire MLK day week off, and that someone should drag Lauren Hill behind a pickup truck for making "anti-white" comments. This was within days James Bird being dragged to death by a truck in Jasper, Texas. If you can find it, the audio of him apologizing for his comments on Lauren Hill is loving hilarious. It's like the Michael Richards apology on Letterman, except his wife gets in on it and berates him for being stupid in front of a room full of reporters.

There's also that "blow me up Tom" idiot from LA, the one James Adomian does an amazing impression of. I think he's been relegated to pay radio on the internet. His view of women is enough to make your loving skin crawl.

Obviously most morning zoo guys are not as bad as that, but the not lovely ones are pretty few and far between. For some reason, the morning radio audiences tend to have the highest concentration of cross eyed mouth breathers.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

Yeah, Leykis is not a "morning zoo" guy.

Huh. My mistake. He's still human garbage, though.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

rear end Catchcum posted:

Lol the irony of non delusion news in a kinane-hype statement

Are you campaigning to be the next Irish Joe or something? Jesus.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Try to find some candid interviews with him. His standup persona and his real life persona are very obviously two sides of the same coin, but he's a very bright and likeable guy when he's not doing his schtick. I say this as someone who is not a huge fan of his work, and very ready to hate him.

e: Just to be clear, I don't mind the content of his act, I just never enjoyed his stage persona & delivery. It's interesting to hear he tried something new in his latest special, though.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 21, 2015

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

loving Heckler... I was expecting a movie about comedians and their experiences with bad audiences, and it was 90% Jamie Kennedy whining like a little bitch. I didn't really have any sort of opinion on him until that piece of poo poo.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

My favorite Kinison joke was, regarding Whoopi Goldberg, "It's like the whole world got together and decided not to hurt her feelings."

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

They forgot Ryan Reynolds and Chris Hemsworth.

e: And Kelsey Grammer.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

The John Ennis picture is his screen shot when he played an actor vying for a Cyrus Dewey award. I don't know why this popped into my head two weeks later or why I remembered people asking about it in this thread.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Tony Phillips posted:

It was me and you're absolutely right. Thanks!

Honestly, I'm embarrassed it took me so long to think of it.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Jesus loving christ.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

He's either being an actual shithead, or doing that thing where someone's leaning so hard into being "ironic" that it actually doesn't matter if they're not serious because the end result is identical.

Jim Breuer or Odddzy?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Gilbert was opening for (I believe) The Go-Go's in the eighties. Someone made the mistake of telling him not to go blue because the audience was primarily moms taking their daughters out for nice concert. Naturally, he took the stage and went as dirty and offensive as possible, including throwing the c-word around very liberally.

One of his many, many apologies. Guy just couldn't help himself. Watch his doc if you get a chance. It's a very interesting peak behind the curtain.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I certainly don't defend his decision to make a bunch of children cry at a pop concert, but I always partially admired his inability to care about making people angry. It almost always came down to someone telling him not to do something. I'm one of those people who always thinks people flexing petty authority need to be punished, but I never grew the balls the size of Gilbert's. It's amazing to look at the sheer number of credits the guy compiled over the last 45 years when he seemed so hell bent on torpedoing his career.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

WerthersWay posted:

What was it like?

I'm super curious too, but one thing is certain: there was a lot of screaming.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I watched Shayne Smith's routine about being banned from karate tournaments last night. Pretty funny, laughed out loud several times. I checked out some of his other stuff, and... man that karate routine is pretty funny!

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Medullah posted:

I was a little freak when I was in 2nd grade and read at a high school level, was reading probably 4 books a week. And that was crazy excessive.

Luckily my reading level stayed at 10th grade and now I'm just dumb

I had to double check that I didn't write this in a fugue state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

I adore George Carlin. He's one of my favorite comics of all time. But somewhere I want to say around the mid to late 90's, the stuff he was doing struck me as more of an angry, bitter, old man rant and I recall being let down by an HBO special of his for the very first time. I forget which show it was but it was just...hostile more than funny.

I get why people liked Lewis and he seems like a cool enough guy. I just never clicked with him.

My dad and I are huge Carlin fans, and he always had the same opinion on his later stuff. I was always more forgiving because while my dad became kinder and mellower in his old age, I've gone in the opposite direction.