Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Anal Tributary posted:

Pro tip: Spotify has a ton of comedy albums on it for free streaming. Off the top of my head, it has every Patton Oswalt album, the Comedy Death-Ray compilation, and, most importantly, greatest comedy album of 2010 My Name is Hannibal by Hannibal Buress. loving love that CD.

Thanks! I've had Spotify for a while and never thought of this.

Anyone else like Al Madrigal? He was hilarious on John Oliver's CC show and Free Agents before it got cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Inveterate Dunce was the name of my post-rock project in the late 90s.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

There's a clip out there from CC promoting Mulaney's special where he pretends he's a Def Jam comic from the mid-90s. You should probably watch it.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I first discovered Moshe Kasher doing a short set on Conan earlier this year, and he killed, especially talking about his deaf parents. Then I found out he had just written an autobiographical book called Kasher in the Rye, and I was really excited to read it. It was one of the most depressing books I've ever read, though. He had a miserable childhood and did a lot of lovely things as a drug-addicted juvenile delinquent. It's good to see how much he has turned his life around, but I was stunned by his honesty and willingness to portray himself in such a horrible (and accurate) light.

Listen to his You Made It Weird if you wanna hear about his hosed up sex life. And definitely listen to The Champs with Moshe, Neal Brennan, and DJ Dougpound. They only interview black guests (for the most part) and it's a real "guy's guy" podcast with poo poo-talking and frank talk about race, sex, and women that's far away from the incestuous Earwolf love-fests.

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 28, 2012

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

soggybagel posted:

Saw Aziz working some new material at Crash Test at UCB last night. Was fun. He told one guy to please not record him because its new material and the guy didn't laugh the rest of the set which was funny because he had no reason to be pissed. He was asked nicely.

I saw Aziz come out unannounced at Crash Test in September and it was the same thing. But Nick Kroll came before him too and had to call out an audience member too. It's just inescapable these days, even at a venue where the comedy IQ is higher than most. Frankly, not everybody is a comedy snob who knows it's a faux pas to film someone working out new material. It's not their fault if they don't listen to every podcast to learn the inner workings. But yeah, that guy sounds like a little baby if he stopped laughing.

Ralphie May is loving funny.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

SKULE123 posted:

I presume he's touring the material from Caligula currently, which is the name of his next special and the basis of his material from his show of the same name at Just For Laughs Montreal -- all new since Shakespeare.

Once you record an hour, you generally don't just do that material again regularly. I don't mean the whole Louis CK model of doing a new hour every year and throwing it away 12 months down the road. But when you release Caligula, for example, it's a promotion for people to see you live with new stuff. Not hearing tracks 1-16 from Caligula in person.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

SKULE123 posted:

I'll be in LA for a Friday/Saturday/Sunday stint around April 5th. What are the best standup venues/shows to hit on those nights? Generally a pretty big podcast fiend and a regular Just For Laughs Montreal attendee. Anything I should arrange in advance or is it all show up and line up?

Any show that's cash only/at a small theater you can just show up. Anything at the 3 big Hollywood clubs (Laugh Factory, Comedy Store, Improv) or places like UCB you're gonna want to get tickets in advance.

I recommend the show Power Violence every Sunday on Santa Monica hosted by 4 skaters. In the last two months, Zack Galifianakis and Bill Burr have done surprise sets.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

A student posted:

Crossposted from the LA Thread

What is are my best bets to see comedians like Paul F Tompkins, Patton Oswalt, Maria Bamford trying out new stuff in LA? Who are some good comics to watch out for?

Maria co-produces a free show called Whats Up Tiger Lily every Monday in Hollywood. She's also performing at the aforementioned Power Violence show tonight.

Un-Cabaret is still going. Now it's Downtown.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Mob posted:

Kroll's show has got me all antsy because I know Gil Faizon and George St. Geegland are going to show up sometime but I want them NOW

I think they're on tomorrow's episode.

"In Europe you have to complain about how unfair Israel is but also be really cruel to Arabs. And we HATE racism but all call black footballers "monkey"... and that's real."

http://youtu.be/8AlueAAkxgo

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Just check http://www.thecomedybureau.com/ the week you're in LA.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Kristen Schaal's special was the poo poo. Highly recommended if you like absurdist comedy.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

SKULE123 posted:

I was going to see a TV taping of Sullivan & Son with Steve Byrne while in LA because I've never seen a tv taping before, but it just got called off because a cabbie broke Steve Byrne's jaw. :/

You lucked out unless you wanted to watch a bad sitcom for 5 hours instead of 22 minutes. That's pretty loving crazy about the cabbie story though. I obviously don't know anything about the situation or Steve personally, but I feel like you have to be a pretty huge dick to get a cabbie to punch you in the face. Especially if this was in NYC.

http://www.laughspin.com/2013/04/03/report-comedian-steve-byrne-sustains-broken-jaw-sullivan-son-production-halted-for-six-weeks/

Also, a moratorium of the term "anti-comedy" would be great. Just because you don't think Andy Kaufman, Tim & Eric, Monty Python, Kristen/Kurt, or Chris Elliott doing a 30 minute Showtime special about FDR's life isn't funny doesn't mean it's anti-comedy. Anti-pasta, maybe.

It's a different kind of comedy. It's not antithetical to comedy. It's still trying to make people laugh. I don't like Jeff Dunham's style of comedy but it's still comedy. Bad comedy is comedy. Good comedy is comedy. Comedy you like, dislike, detest, love so much you tell all your friends, is comedy.

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 3, 2013

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

If you're in LA and want to see Patton, he's doing a Tuesday residency through July at the Fake Gallery to prepare for his new hour. He's also doing a bunch of Largo and Irvine Improv shows to get ready as well.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

escape artist posted:

Not yet. I have pendulous swings in confidence and crippling stage fright. But I'm going to force myself up there, and as long as I don't poo poo myself on stage I'll feel accomplished.

I'm still polishing my set list, too. I have all the jokes, but they need to be re-re-edited and then woven together.

Don't worry about polishing them. Just go up and try it, you can polish them if you decide to keep going. Besides, you probably won't be saying any of those jokes a few weeks later anyway.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

That's way overpriced for a comedy show that isn't the resurrected corpse of George Carlin.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Is it a charity event, or something? $55-65 is kind of crazy, even for that line-up.

Website says $39-49 before surcharges. Much more reasonable considering it's not just comedy show X at comedy club Y but a theater show that's part of Just for Laughs. Wonder where he got the $100 figure from.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

^^^^^The key to Katt Williams specials are:

Is he sweating profusely through his pimp suit? Then it's a good show.

The Original Kings of Comedy is on instant streaming the last time I checked.

Eddie Murphy's first two specials are on Netflix and required viewing for any stand-up fan. Also a fun time capsule of an era where it was fine for a popular entertainer to use the word human being. Not like today where someone like Tyler the Creator is vilified and his career ended because of it lol just playing.

George Carlin has a poo poo ton of specials on Netflix and since they were all on HBO, they shouldn't be affected by the Viacom pullout. Complaints and Grievances is one of his better later specials despite an untimely rant against airport security a couple months before 9/11. Carlin does a couple bits and then just goes down a list of stuff that pisses him off ending with an edited list of the 10 Commandants.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Plus a lot of his hatred towards gays was really just self-hatred since he's most likely a closeted gay/bisexual.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Ariza posted:

Don't forget, ignore exists on these forums and is a beautiful tool. I put all the mean and rude people and people who take the internet seriously on there. It's so much nicer. I already had that person on ignore too!

Is Bert Kreischer's standup any good? I think I may be insane, but I bought myself a ticket to go see Gilbert Gottfried. He's funny as poo poo in tiny doses, but I have no idea what a full set from him entails.

I haven't watched it, but he has a special on Netflix streaming if you want to make a judgement off that.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I literally thought The Fartist was The Artist (also on Netflix) for MONTHS until Posehn mentioned his special on a recent podcast. I have bad eyesight but that's a case of great parody artwork being too good!

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Seems like cool guy.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

If you've seen Moshe's special, I recommend checking out Brent Weinbach AKA the audience member plant at the end of the special AKA Anthony Rivera from Comedy Bang Bang. He's got this odd mix of a weird monotone stage presence when he's doing jokes and a great ear for impressions of the crazies you interact with in California. Both of his albums are on Spotify.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr0E7438p3s

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Sign up for a free month trial of Spotify Premium and you'll have a ton of choices.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I'm late but Colin Quinn: Long Story Short is one of the best things on Netflix. It's not stand-up, but a hilarious one-man show about the fall of all the great civilizations throughout history. Definitely picking up tickets for his show about the Constitution when it swings into town.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I thought Dice died like...years ago...

Nope. In Woody Allen's latest movie.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

He's a veteran comic. He couldn't shut down some hecklers?

Dae Chappelle quit doing comedy partly because of hecklers. It's not that he can't shut them down, it's that he doesn't care about shouting them down and would rather not do comedy than deal with drunk assholes.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Medullah posted:

Saw the Oddball festival last night and Chappelle spent the first 10 minutes making fun of himself for the Hartford incident. He said "When I got home I said to myself 'Ohhhh poo poo...I pulled a reverse Kramer'. But seriously, you guys have no idea how hard it is getting heckled by a bunch of dudes with crocodiles on their shirt."

It was a genuinely great performance. Some scripted stuff, but a lot of off the cuff remarks as well. He really is a great comedian, it's just a shame he has some issues. :(

On the other hand, I am a huge Flight of the Conchords fan and they were TERRIBLE (Detroit show if anyone wants to agree/disagree). I really think you have to be a fan of theirs to "get" them and their style. But they didn't make it any easier on the people who hadn't heard them before by choosing a bizarre setlist. They have a lot of pretty easily accessible songs (The Humans Are Dead is one that I think pretty much anyone can appreciate the humor in), but they did songs like "Song for Sally" and a really bizarre version of Rhymenoceros vs Hiphopopotamus.

I'd say they were pretty much universally panned last night, but there was a dude behind me that was REALLY into it and laughing obnoxiously loud, including a constant sputtering laugh, and a loud "YES!!!! I LOVE THIS SONG!" with every song. Weird.

Did the venue/promoters make any effort to tell the crowd not to heckle or were you guys just a better crowd? I heard the immediate show after Hartford had to put up signs and the show went off without a hitch.

Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth had some funny Tweets about the incident. Called the Hartford arena the worst venue in the country and said a promoter told her that it only sells out for DMB and Pearl Jam.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Norton isn't for everybody. After all, his most famous bit is about him and his grade school buddy giving each other blow jobs under a porch.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

Posted this in A/T but was suggested to ask here.

In Denver there's a radio station with nothing but stand up comedy. Occasionally they'll play old tracks from the 50s-80s. One thing I've noticed is that anything from, say, 1965 or earlier is pretty different than modern stand up which tends to be "funny observations and 'true', real-life stuff that happened to me" to broadly generalize. The older recordings are of a more jokey nature -- again, broadly generalizing, something like "A rabbi, a priest, and Buddha walk into a bar." These sound horribly dated and are almost always unfunny, but that might just be my modern sensibility.

Anyway, when did this culture change in stand up come about, and who led the way? At a guess I'd speculate Lenny Bruce and Bill Cosby, but I'd love to hear from someone who is more knowledgeable than myself.

A very broad, generalized answer:

In the early 20th century, modern stand-up as we know it started in the Catskills in NY which was a popular vacation destination for Jews. The (mostly) Jewish comics who performed for Jewish audiences in the so-called Borscht Belt were known for their joke-telling and one-liners. Famous people from that era included Soupy Sales, Mort Sahl, and Henry Youngman (Take my wife... Please!). The comedy was, obviously, very Jewish-American: Self-deprecation, embarrassing situations, nagging wives, etc. They stayed away from political humor or anything that was too racy.

Which leads us to 1960s in America, which needs no further background explanation. Lenny Bruce wasn't the only comic doing political, racial, satirical or controversial humor, but he was definitely the most famous and arguably the best. After Bruce, Carlin and Pryor took the torch and continued his style of humor, but in a far-less stream-of-conscious way and replacing his Jewish "other" experience with that of the Catholic and black other experience, respectively. An important thing to look up is George Carlin's act prior to taking on his hippie-ish persona. He was a nightclub comic with a partner, Jack Burns. They dressed in suits and had shaved faces and mostly did the kind of stuff popular in the Borscht Belt.

Bruce, Carlin, and Pryor might as well be considered the holy trinity of stand-up. Pretty much all modern stand-up from the 70's to today is rooted in what they did. Of course there are exceptions, like Rodney Dangerfield and Anthony Jeselnik, who tell straight-up jokes, but most follow the holy trinity's combination of finding humor in everyday observations and personal experience.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

Thanks, interesting stuff. Would you consider Jackie Martling a throwback as well? Cause he tells "jokey" jokes and holy hell are the clips of him absolutely wretched. I swear the only reason the audience laughs is cause he's laughing and so they assume it must be funny. He's his own laugh track.

To be honest, I haven't listened to much of the Howard Stern Show. Except for late night viewings of his E! show while I was in middle school that are a great memory.

Doing a 180 from history talk, if anyone is in NYC or LA and you like experimental or surreal comedy, you should check out Kate Berlant. Her set is entirely improvised and really hard to explain. There are a couple of bad quality YouTube videos and even a NY Times piece on her, but even those pale in just seeing what she does.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

synthacide posted:

I just watched it, hella funny!

side note, what a good source to find local stand up?

I live in the bay area and seriously there isn't much and what i do find is garbage (tommy t's)

I don't think SF has a centralized website for comedy a la The Comedy Bureau in LA. So I would just follow the funny comics you've seen around town on Twitter or FB stalk them; eventually you'll see them promote shows.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The_Rob posted:

I scored tickets to the Eric Andre show live December 3rd at the echo. Should be pretty nuts considering Eric Andre is nuts. I saw him recently at hot tub and he was hysterical. And I imagine his show live should be great. I'm also guessing Hannibal will be there too so of course that's always a plus.

Byron Bowers has been filling in for Hannibal for the current tour. Hannibal was there when I saw TEAS live at the Henry Fonda this last summer.

Don't wear nice clothes. That's all I'll say.

edit: Hannibal was at last night's show according to Eric's instagram so hopefully he's back!

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 20, 2013

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

If you're in LA, Maria Bamford is doing a weekly residence at The Palace's Thursday show for the immediate future.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Ariza posted:

I tried to watch that show because I used to like Workaholics but I turned it off after ten minutes and then forgot that it existed. Are there any particular episodes that are worth watching?

It was a decent idea to mix sketches about Adam's party with the stand up, but it ends up cutting too much into the comics' time to really see some good sets. You got 22 minutes divided by three, then add in the sketches and you got these truncated sets where everything feels off because of the editing.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

This weeks Ari Shiffir's Skeptic Tank spends like half the episode discussing the poo poo talking Metzger does behind the back of that weeks guest, Joe DeRosa. They're all friends, but it leads into Derosa going off on Metzger for being a video game nerd. It's just a great episode featuring a lot poo poo talking in general; Pete Holmes is involved as well as Ari's manager and lots of gossipy relationship stuff about NYC comics.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Cael posted:

I'm thinking about going to Bridgetown this year. Has anyone been before and have thoughts on it i.e. great idea to go see all of your favorite stand-up acts or am I better avoiding crowds and just flying out to LA some random weekend and catching who's in various rooms?

If you're going to make a vacation out of it, just go to Bridgefest and have an awesome weekend. If you fly out here to LA for just a weekend you'll miss a show when your Lyft gets stuck in traffic one night or be distracted by the bazillion other things to do on the other night.

Or you could just book a hotel in downtown LA + plane way in advance for cheap and wait for next years Riot Fest.

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 25, 2014

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Can't wait until I have time to watch the Sklars newest special on Netflix. I saw them do a solid amount of the new material around LA last year and it was great as usual.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Oddball 2014 hasn't been announced yet, but Maron let slip that it will include him, Louis, Aziz, Attell, and Silverman.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Yeah comedy sucks outside in my opinion. I don't see the appeal of sitting in a 15,000 seat amphitheater to watch stand up. Even a 15,000 indoor theater like MSG doesn't sound fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The Meltdown pilot is online and free.

http://splitsider.com/2014/07/watch-the-pilot-for-the-meltdown-with-jonah-and-kumail-on-amazon-for-free/