Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

BrooklynBruiser posted:

The Conan O'Brien episode is fascinating and hilarious, highly recommended.

Were you looking for the Nerdist thread? Because I'm really looking forward to listening to that episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
If you are cheap, a ton of comedy albums are on Spotify. I just listened to Patton Oswalds' and Pete Holme's most recents album there. But are crazy good.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Doesn't iTunes just take 35%?

Edit: I'm listening to Hannibal Buress' album (Animal Furnace) right now and he mentioned that he wrote a sketch for SNL where the villain killed his victims by scatting. Did he write for Eagle Heart by any chance? They did that in one episode (and it was great).

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 13, 2012

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Politicalrancor posted:

Jesus, do any of you even go to shows? or just listen to pre recorded poo poo?

Not a single one of the performers discussed in this thread has ever been in my country. So no.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I just listened to Danke Cook's "Harmful if swallowed" and "Retaliation" (they are all on Spotify)and...I liked them. Most people (on the internet) seem to hate (HATE!) him. I get that there was that joke stealing thing. But that aside...most of his stuff is kinda funny.
It's not amazing but I really enjoyed those two albums.

Edit: But one of his first jokes being a "haha Asians are terrible drivers" was not a good start.

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 24, 2012

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Are there any good movies/documentaries about standup? I have seen I Am Comic and Heckler.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

feedmyleg posted:

I read it more as Ricky playing the devil's advocate at every turn, often toward an unbalanced opinion.

That's what I got from it too.
Thanks for the recommendation! Talking Funny was fascinating (and very funny).

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

TheAbortionator posted:

I promised a friend I would do it if he did it. The day came and all my material sucked. I didn't want to go back on my promise so I just ate a subway sandwich on stage tell I got booed off. Right before they kicked me off I opened a beer I had brought in my bag using only my feet and drank it with no hands. They made me clean up the remnants of the sandwich (clean up your act was the guys exact words), then kicked me out of the club.

My buddy is still doing stand up to this day.

I really couldn't get my feet anywhere close to my mouth. Impressive!

I really want to go to an open mic and I even have some material...but I live in a small town. In Germany. :smith:

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I forgot about this thread! I will post something about the standup scene in Germany tomorrow!

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Ariza posted:

So I'm trying to get into this Twitter thing. I've got louisck, Patton, Jeselnik, Kinane, and Seinfeld. Are there any other stand ups that are good to follow? I can't believe I've never tried this before. Stupid little funny jokes randomly throughout the day are good for the mind.

Nick Kroll, Andy Richter and Conan are pretty good. And follow Jenny Wade. She is absolutely hilarious.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I hope she will be okay :ohdear:.

Going up on stage after her must have been brutal.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Darkwing Duck posted:

If I could throw in a video of myself for feedback.

This was a set written in a couple of hours and I know there are some delivery issues which I'm working on for my next show.

Thanks everybody.

(Also contributing - Jesse / Jordan are just loving wonderful guys and such an inspiration. For part of my job I had to do some back and forth with Jesse and he's endlessly sweet to the most ridiculous requests.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlPZnXp0U48

I think this was neat. Reading out stuff is not great in general because it just interrupts the "flow" but you kinda made it work. Some of the quotes were a bit too long but it worked. The jokes were good and I laughed out loud a couple of times.

The only joke that really fell flat for me was the stone-sword-on-her-chest bit.

And you moved the mic away from your mouth while you were talking a couple of times (mostly when you were flipping trough your book-thingie) that wasn't great.

It's good to see that newspapers are stupid everywhere :allears:.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
The AV Club is doing a little series about horrible moments that comedians had.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/stand-down-jimmy-pardo,83200/

I loved the Jimmy Pardo and Jen Kirkman bits. Warning: You will loving hate that chewing gum ad afterwards.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Ariza posted:

He's loving awful. My friend bought tickets to go see him but I absolutely refused to go with him. We don't usually have a lot of famous black comedians to go see in my hometown, so when one shows up it sells out real quick. This is why I saw Steve Harvey do standup a few years back. I did as many drugs as I could when I left, but I can still remember some of what he said.

This is the worst review ever.

"This comic is poo poo because I got high as gently caress when I watched that one dude."

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

escape artist posted:

Not yet. I have pendulous swings in confidence and crippling stage fright. But I'm going to force myself up there, and as long as I don't poo poo myself on stage I'll feel accomplished.

I'm still polishing my set list, too. I have all the jokes, but they need to be re-re-edited and then woven together.

Bring a big hammer. If you poo poo yourself you can smash it and claim it's a deconstruction of Gallagher or something.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Really loved his special. Kumail is so loving funny.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Call Me Charlie posted:

Humble Bundle is doing a Comedy Bundle

Maria Bamford - The Special Special Special (Video)
Tig Notaro - Live (Audio)
Hannibal Buress - My Name Is Hannibal (Audio)
Jim Norton - Please Be Offended (Video)

Beat the average to get

Louis C.K - Live At The Beacon Theater (Audio/Video)
Patrice O'Neal - Unreleased (Audio)
Patrice O'Neal - Mr. P (Audio)

https://www.humblebundle.com/

That's a great deal. I gave :10bux:.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I bought the Humble Comedy Bundle and I just tried to watch the Jim Norton special and man is it bad. Is he considered to be good? I quit after ~25 minutes but I doubt it got any better.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Man I love that they also give the new stuff to people who bought the bundle initially. Also Todd Glass :woop:.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
The Todd Glass "Act Happy" special on Netflix is great too. It's so similar to his podcast. I loving love it but people who don't know his style (and his podcast) might be a bit lost.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

XIII posted:

Todd Glass is a super nice dude. I run a venue for a yearly comedy festival and he had a handful of shows there. He had a short list of special requests for all his shows, which would typically be annoying, but he was incredibly nice in how he went about asking and helped setup/breakdown the things he requested. When he was just hanging out in the venue, he would always ask how the shows were going and chit-chat instead of just spending the entire time in the green room. A few weeks later, he emailed me directly (he got my email from the festival director) to thank me. Sometimes you meet comics who act like they're better than the staff/volunteers, so it meant a lot that he took the time to be so kind. Little things like that really speak volumes about someone's character.

Reading this makes me really happy. I think finding out that Todd Glass is an rear end in a top hat would destroy me. He is like the Keanu Reeves of comedy for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Harminoff posted:

Chris rock has a new Netflix special out today (directed by Bo Burnham who's special was pretty great)

Anyone see it yet?

I just quit after like 25 minutes. Started out great but the bullying bit was garbage and it didn't get much better after that. How is the rest? Worth giving it another chance?