Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Iglesias was on WTF last year and like Larry the Cable Guy and other comics who have really dumb, specific material, he's actually really smart and totally cognizant of what he's doing with his brand. If you go to Vegas, airports, or malls, you'll see kiosks devoted entirely to merchandise with his catchphrase/nickname, "Fluffy."

As a Latino, I find him really annoying and as a comedy fan I think he's totally unfunny, but I understand his business savvy. There's a big market out there for Latinos since George Lopez is essentially retired from stand-up and Carlos Mencia's huge drawing days are over. And by Latinos I don't mean "Hispanic comedy fans" but couples who go to the Laugh Factory for date night and just so happen to be Guatemalan. So good for him for getting some money in a tough industry, I say.

But if you want to see good Latino comedians, check out Last Comic Standing winner/East LA native Felipe Esparza if you're into dirty, raunchy stories or The Daily Show's Al Madrigal whose POV is more nuanced since he's half-white and grew up lower middle class. He has this super funny bit about his son's cholo soccer coach that I recommend listening on Spotify.

I was about to say I really liked one of Iglesias' old bits but I misremembered, it's actually Freddy Soto and he's pretty funny. Alex Reymundo also springs to mind when I think of Latino comics.

Al Madrigal is a great story teller. To me his voice sounds a lot like David Cross and he has a similar delivery so I really enjoy him on another level for that.

This is not related to anything else, I just think Tig Notaro is brilliant.
Stool Movement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Thanks very much, I did the same thing as The Duke.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Apoplexy posted:

Moshie Koshie.

Is this from his stand up or do we just pretty much have the same brain?

Also, I watched the Matt Braunger special Big Dumb Animal and it's even better than Shovel Fighter. He's getting to be one of my favorites.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

FitFortDanga posted:

Listening to Kumail Nanjiani's Beta Male, and on the track "VCR", he totally steals a bit from the classic 1992 Jake Johannsen special This'll Take About an Hour:

What do you think: thievery, homage or coincidence?

That sounds a bit like an homage. The image of the snowman is so unusual that I can't imagine it's a coincidence but I'd like to think it's on purpose.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

He was already kind of a dick and everyone just gets worse as they age. How bad is it?

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Ariza posted:

If anyone's seen it, is it just sad or is it sad and funny enough for non-fans to enjoy it?

If it's the one I saw, it's not sad at all. It's following her on a tour where she performed at peoples houses. It's really interesting and there are some touching moments but it's mostly just really funny.

Edit: Whoops, that's just her comedy special. I think this doc is something new to me so I'm pretty excited to see it now. She's on the Comedy Bang Bang podcast to talk about it today.

jodai fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 13, 2015

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Demitri Martin has a new special on Netflix. I'm probably going to watch it but his last one was kinda hit and miss.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

All of those guys seem like they'd be a blast to hang out with. I'm pretty jealous.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Medullah posted:

I liked it. Basically if you like Demitri Martin you know what you're getting. Nothing surprising or way out there, but good and funny.

I watched it and I agree. There were a couple really laugh out loud moments and it's interesting to see him mature as a comedian. However, I still think "If I" was probably one of my favorite specials of all time so it's hard for him to beat that.

Speaking of I Like His Old Stuff Better, I've listened to that Kyle Kinane album three times in the past two days, I am not sure what exactly it is but I really love it.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Did you use HBO Now or did you actually subscribe and watch it on demand? I've been curious to hear people's impressions of HBOs new service.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

crazy cloud posted:

Post-Erin Harmontown has been particularly amazing and bleak af.

Introspective Dan is always good. I'm really looking forward to Harmonquest, it seems like he got some really good guests for that.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I liked the new special but for some reason some rear end in a top hat in the crowd decided to try to get a hit off his vape. I loving hate hecklers but especially when it's being filmed.

Also, I watched the new Todd Barry and it feels like more of the same, which is not bad but if you don't like him already, you might not care about it. There's something about his delivery that just really.makes me laugh, even if the joke sucks.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I just got to see Dave Stone on Saturday. I've only seen his stuff on youtube, some of which I didn't really like but in person he was really funny. He had a few bits that he seemed to be working on a little but overall it was a good show. Maybe he'll put out an album if the Boogie Monster doesn't get picked up as a tv show.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

His other hand is not visible because the whole time he was jacking it to how wise he is.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Well, I think Jim Breuer is specifically rubbing me the wrong way because I did not find his actual stand up funny and that video posted felt like he was trying to walk a line where he can say he's not on either side, he's just commenting on society. It feels very grifty, like he just wants an audience but he doesn't care what message he's actually amplifying.

So I guess I could have said that initially but it was easier to call him a jack off. I guess that was pretty hack but I get paid the same either way.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

It's so hard to pick specific albums but I don't think you can go wrong with Kyle Kinane. I really like David Cross' "Shut up you loving baby" but it's a nostalgia thing, I don't think it aged well. Hannibal Buress' "My Name is Hannibal" still makes me laugh and pretty much any Tig Notaro, though I usually only listen to Live with other people who haven't heard it before(and want to hear it, I'm not trying to force anything on anyone).

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I'd throw Nate Bargatze in there with the clean comics, if I remember right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I enjoyed the new Demetri Martin special but he's always been one of my favorites. Not as much music in this one but that's fine, it looks like there's going to be a direct sequel to the stand up special, which is already a funny idea on it's own.