Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
For the folks you mentioned, Un-Cabaret was very much a show all those folks used, don't know if it's still running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Anybody hear Whiskey Icarus, Kyle Kinane's new-ish record? gently caress, it's so good.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Patton Oswalt is awesome for hipping me to him. I also genuinely believe he's right behind Louis CK for best comedian alive.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Oh well I was hipped to Kinane through Oswalt's website, not seeing him open for Patton. I live in Northern Canada so the only way I'll ever see Oswalt is in Toronto.

I'm super excited for Oswalt's new hour though, Finest Hour was great.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 16, 2013

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Politicalrancor posted:

Please, please, please say you're from Winnipeg, Canada.

I am not. Thunder Bay.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I wish, I love those biscuits.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Patton Oswalt did an AMA on Reddit yesterday, and said he's finishing a second book covering his life/career from 95-99.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I assume The Fartist is a TV only special? Because he only has 2 albums.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Metzger is like 6 months away from having a show on Fox News or something.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Picking up Jen Kirkman's book tomorrow from the library, how is it?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The new Maria Bamford album is really good, but there is a woman in the audience whose laugh is absolutely the worst. And it's very, very loud.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Kyle Kinane has a new special, kinda. https://chill.com/kinane/dancing-around-the-poo poo-fire

Edit: Have not downloaded it, but it makes it sound like a new show from him plus other Chicago comedians. Man, bless Patton Oswalt's heart for hipping me to Kinane. He's a really cool cat.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 11, 2013

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

nerve posted:

How much of the 59 minutes is Kyle performing?

I actually don't have a credit card on my Paypal account yet so I will try to find out but I imagine you'll have decided by then if you're going to download this.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Louis also did a strong, thoughtful bit on the way we look at language and why he feels that it's ultimately okay for him to use the word. Context is everything when it comes to sensitive subjects.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

That's really it, isn't it? I think all words, subjects and terms are in play so long as they're used in the interest of advancing the joke or, like you said, establishing context. I think of Dave Barry's "oval office" bit where some lady told him to change the tone of his voice during his act.

Shock for shock's sake grows thin pretty quickly and you just wind up with Lisa Lampinelli saying "human being" and "friend of the family" for 90 minutes. It's OK at a roast but it's tough to build an act around it and it gets old fast.

Exhibit A: Andrew Dice Clay. Went from headlining MSG to being nothing pretty quick.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
People shouting "I'M RICK JAMES BITCH" is a bit different then people telling him he sucks. I have no doubt Dave could shut the latter down. If I were Dave, at this point, I'd ask them to post a sign outside the entrance saying those who shout things will be asked to leave. That might sound a little fascist but the man wants to get back to work and these idiots won't let him.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 30, 2013

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Anybody who reads twitter needs to go to Kinane's account tout fuckin' suite. Short version of the story is that he noticed way back on Nov 25th that after he said something negative about Pace Salsa they started following and favoriting his tweets, started experimenting because he was bored to see if the trend would continue (it did), asked for free salsa....and somebody may have been fired over cussing him out.... absolutely amazing. Scroll to about 6 hours ago. https://twitter.com/kylekinane

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

nerve posted:

Holy poo poo Miles hopping back in on the conversation from home is amazing.

My favorite part had to be "What's up, Arby's?".....followed by Arby's FOLLOWING HIM.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DannoMack posted:

Looks like Pace spun it into a pretty effective publicity stunt now.

IT MADE IT INTO WIKIPEDIA! https://twitter.com/kylekinane/status/407355538557509633/photo/1

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 2, 2013

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

roach cum puddle posted:

Didn't it turn out that Randy Liedtke was behind the Pace_Foods account?

Yes, and Kinane acknowledged it on Twitter. He got free salsa from another company, though, so it's all good.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The best comedy, IMO, is the stuff you relate to. I relate to a bunch of Kyle Kinane's stuff, so I enjoy it more than somebody who doesn't (I think, feel free to correct me). When Maria Bamford talked about how she talked herself out of suicide by pointing out that, if all of your ideas are poo poo, the idea of committing suicide must be a poo poo idea, too, I related, because I've been there. Sometimes when things get really lovely, I revisit that internal conversation. I got dumped a couple weeks ago, and the first few days were HORRIBLE.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BobTheCow posted:

Just bought tickets to see Kyle Kinane and Bill Burr and I'm super pumped! I've only seen Kinane as an opener and Burr do a drop-in, can't wait to see full sets from these guys. Hurray live comedy!

Would love a report about how much new material Kinane is using. That dude is absolutely on fire with pretty much everything he's in the last couple years.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MauveTrousers posted:

I don't know how long he has been doing this set, but I'd say he is getting ready for a new special. I saw him live in November and it was all new material. He didn't really do any crowd work or anything, just a really solid, polished set. I don't know how much of his new stuff is on Youtube, but seeing him perform the new stuff live is definitely worth it. He did probably an hour and thirty minutes of material I hadn't heard before, and absolutely killed (this was in Boston/Somerville where he is pretty popular.) It's all really accessible stuff except for one bit about how pillows look without pillowcases, so I assume he is getting it ready for Comedy Central, etc...

I heard a bit of the pillow stuff on Carmen Esposito's show, Put Your Hands Together. He also did a bit about how he and his sister had to eat the brazil nuts in the house as fast as possible because of their uncle continually reminding them about what they used to be called.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Yay Pudding! posted:

Was that not how he got his break?

It is, I remember a friend showing me his Youtube stuff.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Patton Oswalt has a new special coming out this Friday on EPIX. One can assume it'll come out on MP3 at that time, as well.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Just gonna leave this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZX38aoElN0

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Kurt Braunohler does not like that Mancow fella

http://kurtbraunohler.tumblr.com/post/88288153140/mancoward

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The morning people in my city are sorta irritating, but it's more "Referring to everything with a modicum of popularity as great and being mindless cheerleaders", which I at least understand, because making radio as non challenging as possible has been around forever, and it's a formula that works. Judging by what Kurt said, I'd be begging for my local morning DJ's after maybe 20 minutes of Mancow.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Medullah posted:

I have a soft spot in my heart for Mancow. He came to Detroit radio at the exact perfect time for me, where I was turning into a Republican rear end in a top hat myself and I began listening to talk radio for the first time as I entered my 20s.

I loved his show and never missed it, having a warehouse job where I listened to the radio 8 hours a day. As I became a bit more jaded and bit less sheltered, I realized all his bits were staged...I mean, I knew a lot of them were, but it turned out pretty much *ALL* were fake. Then he began to grate on me. Now I can't listen to him, but I can't hate him because he did get me into talk radio.

I feel this way about Dennis Miller. So I understand, I think.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Al! posted:

I thought it was already widely known that Mancow is human garbage.

Never hurts to reinforce that fact, especially of he's continuing to act that way.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Anybody attend Kyle Kinane's special taping recently?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

XIII posted:

Not me, but he'll be here in Denver in early September (week after Tom Segura, which is the week after the High Plains Comedy Fest). Gonna be a good few weeks.

It turns out he's shooting the special tomorrow, anyways. I am fool.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

lmao yes I am glad that it is her. Her name is Janice. She was at Chris Gethard's show I saw back in Mayand she sat, alone, in the front row with her big giant bright phone in her face, and Gethard (as well as the openers) all gave her poo poo about it. Her defense was that she was taking notes for her blog. Gethard ripped into her for, no joke, ten minutes telling her to put her goddamn phone away. it was amazing

There are very few things funnier than a comedian ripping somebody in the audience who deserves it. I remember Patton Oswalt doing a "7 split with the Melvins where it's him ripping apart somebody on a phone call during his set. It's glorious.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Any of you guys gonna go see Patton play Carnegie Hall? If so, I wanna hear about it!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

goldblums eyes posted:

So I'm ~new to stand up albums and I'm looking for some stuff to listen to.

I like: NORM MACDONALD(!!), hannibal, Louis, aziz, Gary gulman, bill burr, al madrigal, Kyle kinane, john mulaney, Todd glass, Rory scovel, um, other people.

I'm sure that doesn't help at all. I'm trying to find new comedians but the "similar to" section for every comedian is always the exact same people. I guess my question is what are the stand out albums of the last couple years?

Give Eddie Pepitone a try.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Whatever you do, don't read the reviews of Carmen Esposito's record on iTunes. Jesus.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

rear end Catchcum posted:

Cool let me head back to 2009 and give a poo poo.

Didn't you just have a pseudo-breakdown about Blink-182 (who haven't been relevant since about 2005) losing their guitarist in the punk rock thread? gently caress outta here with this poo poo.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 27, 2015

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I have seven Louis CK tats and I have lived through every one of them.

BUT DOES HE DEFINE YOU??????????????????

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Not logos you dipshit lyrics and lyrics inspired art

That's worse.

In non self-delusion news, Kyle Kinane's new album is really good!

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lol the irony of non delusion news in a kinane-hype statement

Yeah, you don't get to cast aspersions on anybody's taste. Somebody could come in here and go "That Gallagher fella is funny as poo poo" and your taste is so notably bad that anything coming from you, any comment at all, would just bury you further. Kinda like the post you just made. I don't think you know what irony is, which explains a lot about you.