Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

Brett Gelman's latest, uh, thing, is certainly something.

Care to elaborate? Is his new album called NAZI SUPERMEN ARE OUR SUPERIORS or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Well, that sucks. Thought he was moving towards sobriety after listening to his recent appearance on You Made It Weird, but I guess not.

In defence, he was probably trying hard. Heroin's a TOUGH thing to kick.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Somebody gave him poo poo over a transphobic joke on Veep. He pointed out he didn't write the joke, and that his character is supposed to be a dickhead. Somebody asked him why bother to address a concern from somebody with so few followers, and accused him of attention seeking, he basically told the guy he was an rear end in a top hat. It should be noted that both him and the initial questioner seemed to be fine with one another by the end of the discussion. It was just the one guy who was still salty. I don't think he came off vindictive. Defensive, maybe.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
A vinyl version of Kinane's album is coming out, and it has an extra track http://splitsider.com/2015/05/check-out-a-new-unreleased-track-from-kyle-kinanes-i-liked-his-old-stuff-better/

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That Tig doc is gonna be on Netflix July 17th, also. Looking forward to it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Just saw Stewart Lee's special on Netflix. Great stuff, amazing delivery.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

jyrka posted:

Which one?

41st Best Comedian of All Time

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
My good folk, is Owen Benjamin any good? I don't particularly like going by clips on Youtube because I think most standup works poorly piecemeal, anybody seen him live? I'm gonna be in Minneapolis on a weekend he'll be performing at the club in the Mall of America.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Yeah, I'm in, that little excerpt flowed well, Doug's a natural at writing longform.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/755091636548472832

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/755093693875515393

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I saw the new David Cross special today on Netflix. Really sharp stuff. His bit on the glut of mass shootings is great.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
While we're on the subject, what's this I hear about Brian Posehn having a meltdown on the radio? I mean, I heard it from AVClub's comments section, so grain of salt

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SousaphoneColossus posted:

Can you post a link? I can't find any reference to it on the AV Club or elsewhere.

You have to load more comments, but apparently he said some racist stuff on Twitter (explains why his Tweets are protected now) after getting into a verbal altercation with a lady in Times Square

http://www.avclub.com/article/exclusive-brian-posehn-hates-times-square-mms-has--240566

A shame, I like Brian's stuff, although like a lot of comics he repeats himself a lot.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 25, 2016

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SousaphoneColossus posted:

Hmm. I only saw one comment about it and it read like a joke based on what Anthony Cumia did, not an actual allegation of anything Brian Posehn actually did.

Ah. I didn't know about the Cumia thing, so I took it at face value. I am glad Brian is not racist.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 25, 2016

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Kinane's new album is good stuff. There's an inspired bit about Fred Phelps and his goons on there that I won't spoil, but I thought was great.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Haverchuck posted:

I remember seeing kevin meaney on dr katz professional therapist which was maybe my earliest exposure to stand up comedy. rip

One of the very first episodes of the Just for Laughs compilations I ever saw had him doing his "We Are the World" shtick. That may be my first exposure to standup as well, actually.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I thought they split up?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

XIII posted:

Sometimes people get back together.

I get that but the way it was told in this thread made that possibility sound remote, I guess.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Megazver posted:

Chappelle has three specials coming out on Netflix next year.

This got me jazzed, his SNL episode was good. And his standup has been ridiculously good since he was so insanely young, it's almost unfair to other comedians.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

XIII posted:

Drinking game: take a shot every time Dave laughs at his own joke and slaps the mic against his leg

(only applies to his recent work)

poo poo, he's been doing that since Killin' Me Softly (an all-time great special, IMO). I guess the nice way to look at it is if you don't think your own material is funny, it probably sucks.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The new Chappelle special is very good, eagerly awaiting the 2nd one out tomorrow.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

JFL42 is coming up again in September, the line-up is really good this year. The headliners are Ali Wong, John Mulaney, Tim & Eric, Bill Burr, Tom Segura, and for some reason the My Favorite Murder podcast. I've gone with Mulaney but will probably pick up a ticket for Ali Wong. I'm not getting a Tim & Eric ticket because I'm seeing them during the fest for some other day time thing.

Full lineup here: https://www.jfl42.com/the42/

I'm booked to see Jenny Slate, Morgan Murphy, a bunch of Andy Kindler's showcase shows which are always good, Kyle Kinane, Rhys Darby, Jay Pharoah and a few others... I take the week off work and try to hit 2-3 shows a day for the week, always a good time.

I watched the MFM people do a live show with some of the Cracked After Hours folk and it was good and cool. Perhaps they'll have some comedians join them.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
This Patton Oswalt interview is good and cool, which adds up, since Oswalt is good and cool.

http://www.playboy.com/articles/playboy-interview-patton-oswalt

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Boy, you're really not good at this.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Agreed on the Neal Brennan comment. That special was strong.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gramps posted:

New Patton Oswalt is on Netflix for everyone who lives under a rock. It's great.

It might be the best of his career.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Hey, everyone should watch The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, if you have Amazon Prime. It's a witty, wonderful show about a Jewish housewife who becomes a stand-up comic in 1958 New York City, and it's hilarious and awesome. It goes a bit into the history of stand-up (Lenny Bruce is a character in the show), and it's funny as hell. The actress, Rachel Brosnahan, doesn't have any stand-up background, but she does an amazing job.

Did they get anybody interesting to play Bruce?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
At least one of the new Chappelle specials is extremely good, and has a great closer

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

GraPar posted:

Both the new specials are really, really good, much better than the last two. Equanimity is more of a pure stand-up set, Bird Revelation feels a bit more off the cuff.

Equanimity was the one I watched.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Also perhaps he'd rather not smoke but he capes as an alternative to the process

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/amandacohen27/status/959711304624701442

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

Word going around on Twitter that Canadian legend Mike MacDonald has died. :(

gently caress. Mike was one of the first comedians whose stuff was so good that I bothered to remember his name and such as a young person. He helped build Just for Laughs(I think he appeared at like, the first 15 festivals or something), and should have been a bigger deal.

Confirmation http://www.metronews.ca/entertainment/2018/03/18/comedian-and-actor-mike-macdonald-dead-at-63.html

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/jimjefferies/status/974131137290227712

Incidentally, is his show any good? I enjoy his standup a lot, but that doesn't always work out...

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 19, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Kinane's got a new half hour on Netflix for those who are interested. I liked it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gramps posted:

Can confirm Kinane's new half hour is really funny. I judge comedy by how much it makes me actually laugh, and I laughed a lot. It's real good.

It was just okay until he got to the stuff about the KKK

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The cops claim her book changed nothing but that might be them covering for the fact this guy is an ex cop

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/kylekinane/status/991041206594322432

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Norm's the same dude who genuinely thinks Reagan's the best president of all time. I don't think it's a bit.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnRoycomic/status/1099079892241530881

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Andrew Dice Clay would be a good example, too. He got really loving tired of doing the dirty limericks and the cigarette tricks and all that entailed, I even remember him ending up on a sitcom where he ran a record label in the 90's where he made a big deal out of removing Dice from his name. He can't get away from it, though.

George Carlin got to a point where he HATED doing the Drill Sargeant bit, because whenever variety shows would contact him, he found he only had a set amount of material he could do for TV (S&P being where it was at the time), so he'd do variations of it, like the Drill Sargeant on the Mayflower, for instance.

Jim Jefferies, also. He had a bit in his newest special where, as a birthday present, Mariah Carey booked him to play the birthday party of the fella she was dating (some billionaire, don't remember his name). And he was just doing material he thought would do well, and in the middle of it, the guy realizes who Jim is and why he was booked, and basically demanded he do the gun control bit. Jim figured he might not get paid if he didn't so he went along with it.

I think Sam Kinison might have ended up in a similar situation, had he not passed. It seems like screaming about women had almost become a set part of his act at that point.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 6, 2019