Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
You know, I've been wishing for ages for Cook to have a horrific meltdown.

This is everything I wanted, except it had to involve funny people being bumped from their time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Peter North posted:

I see the guy in a different light after hearing various interviews about what he's gone through and the Louie appearance, so I am sort of tempted to attempt a defense of Dane Cook. The best argument I've heard on this is that if Louis CK said "chainsaw-loving a dirty whore's oval office," which he would, those same people would think it was genius. Or what they thought when Chappelle was doing the exact same thing at the exact same place. It sucks that people got bumped, but TJ Miller's overreaction for Dane being too offensive is horrible/hypocritical.

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHvxmYSNv68

I don't know if it's the idea of Dane alienating his audience that's funny, but this is way better than his normal stuff. No, really, it is. Bumping people is lovely indeed but had the set went well it would be a story of begrudging respect for Dane doing some real comedy instead of doing his stupid act for college girls.

What if we think CK is an unfunny douchebag who hides behind 'irony', and ALSO think storming into a club for your crazy misogynist rant is unacceptable? But do go on how funny 'chainsaw gently caress her dirty oval office' is because it's not for those dumb college bimbos :allears:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Another gay guy who can't stand Cho and Lampanelli et all. It feels exactly like pandering, she's not really making any jokes she's just kinda going "HEY! GAY STUFF! YEEEEEEEEEA!" and like, yea ok I'm down with that but there's nothing actually funny or entertaining in that.

If I remember right she's rather active in the gay rights fight and all, so gotta give her respect for that, but I don't think since the early 90's I can think of a special/set of hers that I found funny rather than just going 'yep, I agree with her statement, good for her'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Aziz rules so hard, everything he types and says sounds like a little kid who just discovered what he's talking about, he's got such a unique raw glee to everything it rules, downloading his new thing now!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"Fake nerds" is the dumbest, most privileged, thing ever. I have no idea how Munn and Hardwick aren't nerds by any metric other than bitter people desperately clinging to their persecution complex declaring them not meeting a random benchmark of social reject. It's fitting the only comparison you can make is that 'I like football' thing because it's also an insane 'HEH a GIRL liking my insular hobby?! Yea right, attention whore!' thing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

That's what happens sometimes with Marc. Part of the fun of seeing him multiple nights while he's in your town.

I'll never get how 'well you're supposed to just buy a bunch of tickets for his shows to really get it' is a selling point but you're like the fifth person I've heard say something like 'yea he's super hostile and awkward about his audience but if you just seem him a few times he gets good'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BobTheCow posted:

I won't pretend to speak for the rest of the planet, but I liked Dane Cook as of those two albums as well. It was only after 2005 or so, when he tended to begin relying more on physical LOOK HOW WILD AND CRAZY I AM bits than actual jokes, not to mention stealing material, that I soured on him.

Yep, same experience here. Those exact two albums are still pretty drat funny, it's after them when he decided to try to be Jim Carrey and base all his jokes in "WATCH ME SPAZ OUT" and then shamelessly stealing bits and generally going from a kinda spazzy goofball to a weird dick that made me go 'welp, I'm done'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DerbyTime!!! posted:

I like Kathy Griffin. There, I said it.

She's pretty funny!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DannoMack posted:

Yeah there's no reason to hate Kevin Hart. He obviously connects with people and has never been accused of plagiarism so more power to him, it's always good for comedy as a whole to have big money draws at the top. It's mystifying though, that's for sure.

Yea he's just kinda...there. I can't see any reason to dislike him but I also can't see any reason to spend money going to listen to him. I guess he has his fans, though, so rock on tiny angry dude.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
You tellin me these people in a very niche entertainment venue with only a very small amount of 'big name' venues to play in fuckin know eachother? Nice try, buddy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

Jesus, man, were you mugged by a balding pasty redhead this week?

To be fair wouldn't you be pretty pissed if you somehow got mugged by a guy like that?

Seriously though I'm hard on CK and all at times but goddamn, man's taking a dollar to recoup bandwidth and all, and of course she must have said this was ok, so why do you feel you need to fight it?

On that, I bought it the other day and it's totally worth it, I'm a fan of Tig's to begin with but man that was amazing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It's a Jersey thing you won't get it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Black went from 'oh, ok I can enjoy a guy getting angry about minor things, that's funny' to him just confused about things he doesn't understand and being super loud about it, and I'm pretty sure most of us have grandpas to get that kind of conversation out of.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DangerDummy! posted:

Demitri's weird for me just because I really didn't do much more than chuckle when I saw him live, but I still thought his set was a lot of fun. I felt very British.

I get the same thing, I don't laugh super hard at him but I buy his stuff and enjoy his shows and all. He's just one of those kinds of comedians I guess.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I personally like Kroll's characters more than his straight comedy, but I think he also has a lot of talent there too. I'm really glad his show is getting better, the first episode wouldn't have hooked me if it hadn't been Nick Kroll doing it, but it's really jumped up in quality since. That and other great comics like Schumer, are really good omens for CC's coming lineups.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I'm not a huge fan of him but the dude is original and has a talent that shows in places, it's unfair to compare him to a dude who's bit is YELLING REALLY LOUD and stealing jokes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I know it's the oldest joke in the book but I can't take anyone in tight bright leather calling me a 'human being' seriously.

But yea it is really gross remembering that a decent hunk of his old stuff was just "THOSE FUCKIN GAYS SURE ARE GROSS YEA?!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

escape artist posted:

Serious chat, incoming.

Alright so what's everyone's opinion on rape jokes and the c-word in comedy? Let me explain:

All of a sudden, there is so much outrage, just out of nowhere it seems, about these topics. Salon.com, Jezebel, even the Nation is writing about it. Some comics are joking that they should get a "Louis CK card" that allows them to joke about anything, because he never gets poo poo for his jokes.

Everybody acts as if people who make jokes... jokes, mind you, are MRAs or misogynists. What do you think? I mean, half the audience is women, and the whole audience is laughing.

I just wonder-- do you think in 20 years we'll look back on Louis CK and Daniel Tosh and whomever else, and think the same thing we do about Eddie Murphy now?

There are plenty of people who already dislike CK and Tosh's jokes in that field.

Like already said I guess I fall on the Chris Rock scale, there are some funny jokes about really taboo things, but they have to actually be jokes. Like you can't just be like CK and say 'man I like saying friend of the family, it's just fun to say, like AIDS' there's no joke there he's just saying friend of the family and knowing that his audience will go 'oh man that's a naughty word'.

Same with the Carlin 'Porky Pig' rape joke already mentioned, but on the other side of the scale. That's a joke because he's taking the concept of a rape joke to the most absurd, completely out of reality, extreme.

I think, at the end of the day, comics really need to stop hiding behind 'I'm just a comic'. Like, we're not talking about ancient jesters who were the only people in the court allowed to mock the king, you don't really get to hide behind 'hey it's just a joke' when someone says 'that was a lovely thing to say'. It doesn't make the thing you said not lovely to them, all it does is attempt to summon the Internet Free Speech Brigade. It needs to be accepted if you're going to do taboo stuff people aren't going to like it, and you just kinda have to eat that. You have the free speech to say whatever oval office and rape jokes you like, but people also have the free speech to say you're an rear end in a top hat, the two aren't in competition.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
He may have some self awareness but he's also a big manbaby, so I guess he's basically the comedy Two-Face.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
poo poo totally missed it, it drops next week though right?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I thought Dice died like...years ago...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Animal-Mother posted:

Audiences shouldn't heckle. Performers shouldn't act unprofessional, especially when they have many years of experience. I don't feel bad for the guy.

How did he act unprofessional?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Unfunny idiot punches C list tabloid journalist, whoever wins we lose.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Everyone who hates lovely comedians owes it to themselves to read Dan Nainan's terrible and hilarious obviously self written Wikipedia page.

You know I'm so tired of this, it's really insulting to say that any positive wikipedia page for an amateur, especially in an industry like comedy, just MUST be written by them. It's a downright patronizing attitude to have to people who work hard and put in a lot of ef-

quote:

With Intel, Nainan traveled with Andy Grove, the company's CEO, demonstrating the latest technology on stage at high-profile events all over the world. Nainan found the technical part of his job to be easy, but as the audiences sometimes numbered in the thousands, he experienced tremendous stage fright. To get over the fear of public speaking, he first joined a Toastmasters group,[4] then took a stand up comedy class.[5]

The "final exam" for the comedy class was a performance at the Punchline Comedy Club in San Francisco. His Intel coworkers, upon viewing the videotape, invited him to perform at a team dinner for 200 employees at a high tech convention in Las Vegas. Upon seeing that performance, the organizers of Intel's annual sales conference asked Nainan to perform for 2,500 salespeople from around the world. Many in the audience thought that he had been hired as a professional comedian, in what was only his third comedy performance ever.[6]

Notable performances

In November 2009, Nainan performed at the first TED Conference in India, held in Mysore.[11] He also performed at TEDx events in Flushing Meadows, New York and in Glastonbury, Connecticut.[12][13]

In March 2011, Nainan performed for over 2000 people at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington DC.[14]

In August 2011, Nainan was a keynote speaker and comedian at the Toastmasters International Convention held at Bally's Las Vegas.[15]

In September 2011 Nainan appeared on the Muscular Dystrophy Association national telethon along with comedians Penn and Teller and
Carrot Top. The event was broadcast live from Las Vegas.[16]

In January 2012, Nainan performed for New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg at a charity gala at the Waldorf Astoria hotel in New York City. Afterwards, [Mayor Bloomberg] said that Nainan was "hysterical".[17]

In March 2012, Nainan performed for Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak at the Apple Investor Summit held at the Los Angeles Convention Center.[18] Afterwards, Wozniak praised Nainan effusively, saying that Nainan is "The funniest guy out there".[19]

In May 2012, Nainan performed for US President Barack Obama at the APAICS Gala at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Washington DC. President Obama said that Nainan was "hilarious".[20]

Nainan has performed in several countries on four continents. He has performed in Aruba, Australia, Canada, England, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, the Netherlands, Panama, Qatar, Singapore, South Africa, Tanzania, Trinidad/Tobago, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates.[21]

Television

In 2003, Nainan appeared in the first season of NBC's Last Comic Standing, advancing as far as the West Coast Semifinals.[22] Nainan appeared in a commercial for Apple computers. The commercial, entitled "PC Innovation Lab" was one in the "Get a Mac" series with Justin Long and John Hodgman. The commercial showed Nainan in a suit of bubble wrap.[23]

Feature film

In 2006, Nainan played a small role as a cello player in Paramount Pictures' film The Hoax starring Richard Gere. In 2009 Nainan played the role of Fire Nation Warrior in the M. Night Shyamalan movie The Last Airbender.[24]

Welp.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Naiman is just legit sad honestly. I used to make fun of alt comics talking about 'corporate comics' and poo poo like that but here we have a real flesh and blood dude who's only minor notability comes from playing corporate gigs with dumb generic jokes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea if you like Birbiglia I'd say Mulaney is your best bet. He has two albums (I think?) and they're both really solid. I'm pretty sure they're both around 50 minute each so that'll handle the bulk of your trip at least.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Ape of Naples posted:

What about Mike Birbiglia on You Made it Weird? That'll eat up 2 and a half hours.

This is a mean trick to play on someone.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The_Rob posted:

So I just got back from the Eric Andre show at the echoplex and holy poo poo that was pure chaos. I got hit in the face with a bowl of spagettios. Watched them egg a kid on to yell hateful things about his teacher and call him racial slurs, and saw a grown rear end man drink Kreyshawn's breast milk. Highly recommended if you enjoy to pay people to assault you.

Eric Andre is a national treasure.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea when I heard that bit all I could think about was how I talked myself out of suicide by being too much of a pussy about every method I thought of and eventually realizing if I'm able to think about how swallowing a bottle of pills could suck I probably have something to live for.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

Bo Burnham is someone I really like but I really thought I would hate for some reason. I think there's something about his face that reminds me a little too much of YouTube superstars.

Literally everything about Bo I should hate, from his speaking voice to his face to him being a 'singing comic' and all, but yea I fuckin love that stupid rear end in a top hat.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

vizanto posted:

I think it helps that he's aware that he people should hate him and he doubles down on the self-deprecating in response but he puts so much work into his stuff and it really shows.

I think that's it, like the dude accepted long ago 'everything about me is punchable, I better make a very real effort to show I understand and that's ok'.

Plus, yea the fact that he puts a ton of work into his stuff, it's really hard to hate it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Mulaney is a massively funny stand up but wow was his show bad. You can't just have him walk from set to set doing bits from his shows with a weak thread connecting them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I bet it sucks making a show that revolves around your standup these days since you obviously want to use your gold stuff, but at the same time basically anyone who sees your name and goes 'oh I like him, let's see this show' already knows exactly what's going to happen when you're in the waiting room wondering how to get drugs without looking like a junkie.

Hell even beyond that, if I remember right (I kinda zoned out) they didn't even have some of the funniest parts like the batman nurse and the part where he says he's sorry because he thinks he's making GBS threads in the doctor's hand and all. It's like hearing your friend tell you a joke he half remembers, after you've already heard the joke for real.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Urk! posted:

I've read so many reviews comparing it to Seinfeld that I'm starting to think they're hoping for the same results as Seinfeld had, i.e. nobody watching/liking the first few seasons then it finding it's stride/audience.

The problem is nobody watching the early Sienfeld was a bad thing because those guys were missing out on a really good show. Nobody watching Mulaney, and I say this as a big fan of his standup, is a bad thing because the show sucks and no one is gonna watch that poo poo. Like, Jerry could really easily tell his bosses 'ok look we have a sleeper here' and make a case, what's Mulaney gonna do, say 'nah give it time, people love watching a guy walk from set to set just kinda saying poorly written lines that get him from one standup bit to the next'?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Megazver posted:

That was the best one out of five seen by the critics, apparently.

Unfortunate.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rob was taken posted:

Apparently a cyst burst and she had massive internal bleeding. Here's a message and video from her Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152697312752525

Can we talk about the fuckin forces of hell chasing Tig around, because gently caress man it's just one thing after another for her.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I feel like I should just listen to the album, as the only material I've heard was on PYHT and I wasn't a fan. I guess I shouldn't judge her based on that alone.

It's, in my opinion, aggressively ok. I think she's a perfectly good comic but she's never really made me lose my poo poo laughing or anything. I kinda use her stuff as more background noise to give occasional chuckles and all than 'alright I need to LAUGH' poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea if like, I somehow HAD to go to a show of his I wouldn't be upset. He's really bland and not that funny but he's not offensive or bad or anything, just, like said, a dude who's main focus is his brand so every other joke is "I'M NOT FAT I'M FLUFFY HAHAHAHAHAHAHA" and some high pitched shrieking voice because it's legitimately fairly funny when a big fat guy does a Gremlin style high pitched squeal. And like, yea gently caress it standup is a cut throat thing, if I found a niche that pays out the rear end you'd have to do some serious talking to convince me that the life of someone making ok money at best ~staying true to the art~ is better than making lots of money telling ok jokes forever.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 13, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

abraham linksys posted:

The last ten minutes are a hell of a thing :stare:

I'm excited to see him next month.

He really is one of the rare remaining examples of self loathing being genuinely funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BigRed0427 posted:

I saw Patton Oswald's new special and thought it was great. His bit about his daughter and going to the grocery store were the highlights for me.

Yea there's a part of me that wants to be all "Man remember when you said if you ever become a comic who talks about your child all the time you wanted to fuckin die, you lost your edge maaaaan" but no he's still a really fuckin funny guy.

His bit about the slow realization that his daughter called a black man a monkey because of The Lion King was amazing for me.