Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

BiggerBoat posted:

Dice, for instance, also catches a lot of poo poo but I always looked at him as a parody and a caricature of a certain laughable stereotype, where you're laughing AT the guy and not really the material, which was always pathetically weak. I think to an extent, you had to be from Philly, Jersey or New York to "get" what Dice was doing, which to me was always poking fun at the stupidity of your average misogynistic, homophobic stupid Guido.
That kind of larger than life big character comedy when it works is sublime, Dice is one of the few I know of that pulls it off. Dice and Neil Hamburger are my favorite comedians for the record, comedy contempt for the audience, playing a character that seems mad but in an entertaining way. And of course weird and vulgur. I love that stuff, and while two very different comedians, those two delight me the most. I'm seeing Dice in a couple months too!

DangerDummy! posted:

All this Dice talk has reminded me that The Day the Laughter Died
My favorite stand-up album ever, some call it "anti-comedy" but for me it's funnier than anything in the usual relatable nice guy talking about their kids stand-up style. I love Louie CK as much as the next guy, just saying, something like that which somehow works and is crazy hilarious in an unorthodox way just rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

SeventhSeven posted:

Went to The Comedy Store last night... We walked in as Ron Jeremy walked out with a hooker.
Ron Jeremy is recognizable, but how did you know the profession of the other person? Is there more to this story? Also, two sex workers walk out of a comedy club...

Speaking of hookers, I can't wait to see Dice Clay this Saturday! What a character.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Neil Hamburger in Boston this Friday night (tomorrow at Great Scott), goddamn I'm jazzed for this. The best in the biz.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

HEY NONG MAN posted:

His shows are so loving good.

You weren't kidding! Guy tore the house town. My first time seeing Mr. Hamburger live.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, I dig Paul (especially his improv podcast characters). My comedy favs are Brody Stevens and Neil Hamburger I'd say. And everything Tom Green does is funny.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I saw him live a couple years ago, and got riffed on myself in the audience, by the TG himself! What a hero.

Also all of his on and off again podcasts and video shows over the years. Plus so much great Neil Hamburger stuff with him, Poolside Chats especially. That's some of my fav stuff.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Great time at the Comedy Cellar's Village Underground on Friday, so good. The host Ardie Fuqua rules, and his interplay with Rich Vos was so funny, lotta roasting. Eleanor Kerrigan stole the show. Tony Woods and Daniel Simonsen are really funny too, the whole show rocked.

And last month I saw Esther Povitsky at the Wilbur, she rules. Also was nice that she gave a shout-out to Brody Stevens, so got to applaud for one of my ol' favs there too, good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

BiggerBoat posted:

Lots of Richard Lewis tributes and interviews floating around recently. Was he really a legend?

Yep. But we all dig different stuff. I also think he's really good on Curb Your Enthusiasm, and I was listening to his new podcast lately, also always enjoyed him on stuff like Gilbert Gottfried's podcast. I'll say for me, half of what I enjoy about comedy is just an interesting person. I like Richard, he's interesting, he's funny, I think he's a legend for sure.