Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Harminoff posted:

The local grocery store chain here actually has Mitch Hedberg quotes above the checkouts.

Lucky's Market?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Ches Neckbeard posted:

drat he went all Chud.

Also there's rumor going around that Jeff Ross is a pedo and rapist.

https://twitter.com/TitusNation/status/1274581133213044736

https://twitter.com/TitusNation/status/1274579621065838593

lol that woman who punched him in the face after a show last year was right

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 21, 2020

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

BiggerBoat posted:

What do we think he's asserting here? Not saying he's lying about anything but unsure who his targets are. Ross and...?

Probably DeElia, he was on at least one of those. Might be more, I dunno.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

sexpig by night posted:

I mean to be fair he likely means it in the sense of 'they suck to hang with' and not literally 'they're all sexual predators'.

also ross was sort of the defacto head of those roasts, being the "Roastmaster General" and all. Even if no one else in the room was a literal pedophile, being led by one is probably bad enough.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

fred armisen has dead sociopath eyes and every story I've seen from women who have dated him confirms that theory

edit: here's a quote (from this Gawker article full of dirt about how terrible he is to women) from his ex-wife, Elizabeth Moss:

quote:

"One of the greatest things I heard someone say about him is, 'He's so great at doing impersonations. But the greatest impersonation he does is that of a normal person.' To me that sums it up.

and no one would know 'people doing an impression of a real human being' better than a died in the wool Scientologist

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 13, 2020

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Have you ever wondered what would happen if someone concentrated all of the ironic racism on the internet and shoved it into the body of a lovely white dude?

https://twitter.com/pengdangcomedy/status/1392147842731499520?s=21

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://twitter.com/bobsaget/status/1438562451444822016?s=21

Check out the full video. it’s like 30 minutes of Saget talking about Norm, and you can tell how much he loved Norm and what kind of guy Norm was from the perspective of one of his closest friends. Very touching.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

sexpig by night posted:

it's so loving funny he spent like a decade being a generic washed up comic and now he's just gone full mental breakdown

The Antonio Sabato Jr Special

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Is there another comedian that inhabits the space Bo does where he both came up and had to actively apologize?

I don’t know if “had” is even the right word there, it implies that he couldn’t have done anything else when there are other paths he could have gone down where he either excused or doubled down on the problematic elements of his earlier work for a different audience. I think he just grew as a person and felt the need to let people know that some of the poo poo he was saying was wrong. I’m roughly Bo’s age and while I’m not a public figure I have said a lot of stuff like that when I was younger that I would/have actively apologized for.

It also probably helps that he was so young when he got big, comedy is really not a place where a whole lot of young people come up that quickly, combine that with his aiming a lot of his more recent work at people even younger than him and you have a situation where you can’t just say “well you know sometimes tastes change” because the younger millennials and zoomers seem to want to know that people know why they’ve changed and why it was still wrong even back then.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I think this new comedy special from Jerrod Carmichael is gonna get us another round of “that ain’t comedy” arguments from dummies. And like, I might kind of understand where they would be coming from but at the same time

A: it’s still funny as poo poo because Jerrod still got jokes

B: part of the reason it came with, for example, Nanette (I think) is that Gadsby is an outsider to “the stand-up community” in many ways where Jerrod is not.

C: if it’s not stand-up comedy whatever it is is way more interesting.

Y’all should absolutely watch it when you get a chance.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Did somebody say “I want to watch a stand-up set that is just a hilarious 30 minute hit piece on Chris D’Elia and his enablers”?

https://youtu.be/O-0peCQvz_k

Incredibly funny, incredibly mean, incredibly deserved

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

BiggerBoat posted:

George Carlin documentary just dropped on HBO Max and I're read nothing but great reviews.

Anyone checked it out yet?

It’s pretty good! First part is what I watched and it goes up until the late 1970s and it’s a pretty good balanced look at the man. It treats him as the massive influence he is but also doesn’t shy away from the parts of his life that were much harder, namely his fall into addiction and how his family dealt with that, but also the moments in his career where he sort of turned into a parody of his early self. I had never seen Rick Moranis’ imitation of him, it’s funny but also very unflattering and very accurate.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm not sure I'd call that entirely accurate.

I think he got older and crankier and more angry and it was reflected in his work. He changed his approach a lot over the years depending on context, societal norms and to some extent the commercial avenues available to him. I watched a couple of his later specials and didn't find them funny at all. It was just vitriol, frustration and anger but I didn't if find it to be self parody the way that acts like, say, Kinison or Dice did to where it was just...well...like you said.

I actually found him to be MUCH different, and not in a good way.

What was sad to me, and how I viewed it, was that Carlin couldn't find much of what motivated his comedy to be funny anymore or pull the humor out of it. If anything, his later stuff was LESS like how he was in his prime, where he could skewer hypocrisy in clever, satirical ways and used his art for language and its rhythm. It was just an old man yelling at a cloud towards the end and that's basically I think where he found himself. His act in the later years was just mean spirited to me but I think, like most of his stuff, it was a reflection of the world around him.

Like the joke was over, you know?

I’m not talking about later years Carlin, we aren’t even to the 1980s yet. I’m talking about the late 70s Carlin who got so deep into the wordplay that it inspired Rick Moranis to do this:

https://youtu.be/-3j-yE49gvM

That’s based off of a very real, very stupid Carlin bit about the words “peace” and “peas,” and to hear Carlin tell it watching this impression of him made him realize that he was gonna be a relic if he didn’t change his ways. The doc also mentions Cheech Marin calling him a relic when Cheech and Chong were at the top of their game and Carlin was on his way down. That’s the only time he became a parody of himself; his much later HBO era is, like you say, way different and not self-parody but just a change in style and the perspective he took in his act.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Him, Chapelle and Louis CK will be doing a tour called UNCancelable or something dumb like that any day now

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Analytic Engine posted:

throw in Seinfeld for
The Original Gay French Kings of Comedy

I will give Seinfeld credit for this: the man has way too much control over his image to ever appear in public again with CK. I just remember that interview special with the two of them, Gervais and Rock where CK drops the n-word as Rock and Gervais laugh and Seinfeld is there like “look you do what you want but I absolutely cannot be seen saying that poo poo or endorsing anyone else saying that poo poo”.

https://youtu.be/il1sgQUtYs8

edit: this clip is funny because it absolutely showcases what a lovely loving coward Ricky Gervais is. Louis and Chris have been friends and colleagues forever and know where they stand with each other and so when Louis said that he was 100% confident that he was in the right, and Chris backed him up. Seinfeld was immediately put off and was like “no way” and held strong to that, but Ricky tried to play fence-sitter by laughing histerically, then trying to say “oh but I would never do that in a bit” to make him look good to Seinfeld and then immediately just saying it their conversation, to which Seinfeld rightly points out that it makes him look like a twat. He wants to be cool for Louie and Chris by laughing but he also wants Seinfeld to think he’s cool so he tries to play that side too and just comes off like the little poo poo he is. Gervais is such a loving bootlicker

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 22, 2022

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Guess this is what James Acaster was mocking him for on Cold Lasagne Hate Myself 1999

Acaster wasn’t mocking Gervais specifically, just the whole genre of comedians who think it’s cool to rag on trans people

Now Nish Kumar, he was mocking Gervais specifically

https://twitter.com/cowboyacaster/status/1386980286211166215?s=21&t=htzdjozTjL2o0lw-peYdzg

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Consummate Professional posted:

Wassup thread. I’m going to NYC at the end of the month (28th-4th) and have no clue what the weekly/smaller bar scene looks like. I also shamefully Like improv. Any advice?

Stop liking improv

edit: this sounds like and is a joke but also serious because COVID-19 pretty much murdered improv comedy shows, which were already suffering from a severe case of “Everyone Has Bad Labor Practices”-itis

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 4, 2023

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Remulak posted:

Holy crap Jesselnik is touring, got tickets for may. This is for a club show, he’s definitely one of the best kid-sized venue acts I’ve seen.

Sad to hear that such a great comedian is clubbing children, although his act might have had a few hints on that front

kidding, Jeselnik is really funny and so far has been able to pull off shock comedy without turning into a horrible rear end in a top hat

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I’ve literally seen more advertising for Marlon Wayans’ special about the slap than Rock’s

https://youtu.be/N4YXCYM_SOk

edit: also I think Marlon’s special is better

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 5, 2023

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Out: hecklers interrupting a show
In: a live break-up(?) in the front row interrupting a show

https://twitter.com/atsukocomedy/status/1765430929705631775?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

https://twitter.com/atsukocomedy/status/1765448461262987524?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I’m sure some of it is a little dated but the best stuff still hits. The 7 words bit is a particularly outdated since you can say a good portion of these words on network television these days but it’s really one of the high points of his jokes about words and semantics, because it’s obscene but never angry or particularly offensive unless you’re a real fuddy duddy

https://youtu.be/8dCIKqkIg1w?si=iVMLbUbODHvlj31K

edit1: another of my favorite older Carlin bits, it’s a lot better than his baseball/football bit

https://youtu.be/SSe-_SBBjI4?si=Vu6vRNT2fE-9dUfm

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I think a lot of people around my age have that experience with Robin Williams because as someone who is square in the middle of Millenialhood my first intro to Robin was as Genie and as an actor in in mostly family comedies, and the first time you see him really let loose is an eye opener. Especially because he was my dad’s age and he had very dad vibes as a guy generally. Obviously given how his kids seem to have turned out he was probably a pretty good dad on the whole, even with the whole mental illness and addiction thing.