Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
So netflix is supposed to show a live Chris Rock special in a few hours and I guess there's no hype anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, first I heard about it was today. I wonder if Netflix is hurting more than they let on from people jumping ship after they location-restricted their accounts. I know I don't even try to use it anymore.

Looking forward to checking that out after it's available though, I'm sure there's gonna be some spicy material in there.

It's weird because you think netflix would have super pushed their first (?) live event and something that would probably be buzzworthy. Oh well!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

DrVenkman posted:

First 20 minutes of Rock's show is real rough and for me he barely recovers. He hits maximum levels of restating the premise of the bit during the bit this time and comes packed with topics but not with jokes. Did you know you can't joke about anything these days?

The slap stuff is a mixed bag. I get his anger about it of course. I think it's easy to forget that not only did Smith get an ovation later on that night but he was pictured hours later on the dancefloor with his Oscar having a grand time. Now, he's entitled to of course, but it must have been insane for Rock to watch. So naturally he reserves most of his ire for Jada.

I am really, really, really, REALLY sick of seeing famous millionaires on a stage in front of thousands, being streamed on their netflix deal for millions of dollars, talk nonstop about being canceled and how they can't say anything anymore. Every loving famous comedian for the past 4 years has been bitching about how they can't talk about anything from my television set that they're being paid millions to perform on.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Zugzwang posted:

Marc Maron made fun of those comedians in From Bleak to Dark. People bitching about ‘cancel culture’ or ‘wokeness’ is a surefire sign that they are hopelessly out of touch and also probably out of ideas too.

I've been meaning to watch that one. Looking forward to it more now!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Medullah posted:

Any good new specials out on Netflix or YouTube?

I just saw Nick Mullen: The Year of the Dragon on youtube. looks like it came out a month ago? I thought it was very funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

BiggerBoat posted:

Lots of Richard Lewis tributes and interviews floating around recently. Was he really a legend? Because I never got it.

I never really liked his stand up or found him very funny but I guess he's perceived as a borderline icon. As far as self deprecating comic acts go, I prefer Marc Maron, Jim Jefferies and many others. I think a lot of it for me is Lewis' delivery, rhythm and timing, along with the sense that his entire act never had room to breathe or give any pacing to the style. It's been a while since I listened to his stuff but, from memory, it reminds me of late stage Carlin, where the whole act is just a onenote bitch/whine fest and it became more depressing than funny for me. They're different in content but similar in execution for me.

I enjoy dark comedy but Lewis (and old man George) came off as kind of playing one long angry sad song instead of doing a real set list, if that makes sense.

He's a legend to me, but he's also one of the first stand-up comedians I really liked and connected with. I saw a lot of him as a kid on Comedy Central (Channel?) in the early/mid 90s. He was one of the first comics I saw that actually seemed cool and without that hacky vibe a lot of comics have. I watched a never ending parade of stand-up as a kid and he really stood out and felt like something special. But I also really liked Carlin too so it might just be a different taste thing.