Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Volume posted:

I have a few questions about this. What's the right way to write stand-up comedy? I have a friend interested in going to an open mic night to showcase some stand-up comedy. I read what he has written and while it is very funny, I personally don't think it'll translate well to the stage.

They're more like funny blog posts/rants. He go off on an amusing tangent and it just seems to lack a punchline. The tone and subject are funny, but there's not that reward at the end of the joke.

If either of you can track down the Talking Funny special that HBO recently aired (with Ricky Gervais, Louis CK, Chris Rock and Jerry Seinfeld) it's well worth watching (one applicable takeaway to your concerns would be Chris Rock's line about how at the end of the day stand-up needs jokes. "Henny Youngman's got to be involved somewhere"). Three out of the four comedians are well worth listening to. Also, if he's not listening to Marc Maron's WTF podcast he probably should be; Patton Oswalt, Chris Rock and Louis CK all have some pretty good insight from what I remember, and if he's got any more favorite comedians Maron has probably interviewed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

ibntumart posted:

These are the sort of people who read something law-related on the internet once, usually got it wrong, and nonetheless think they're legal experts somehow. I don't blame Patton for taking assholes like these down forcefully.

They're also the sort of people who will act like giant assholes simply because there's no rule or law against it; they won't act like human beings unless they're forced to.

I came in to post the Dave Anthony thing, and it says it all.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

caligulamprey posted:

Apparently Second Show Friday is infamously terrible enough to warrant capitalizing the phrase.

Thursdays are usually seen as low-key and mainly for comedy nerds who are really into who they're seeing.

When I saw Louis C.K. it was the second Saturday performance and I thought it was great, although I have nothing to really compare it to (I was in the second balcony and everything was still crystal clear, which was awesome).

Gary Gulman was the opener and did a great job, too.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It's not super mindblowing (although I love the huge pause at the start of it that just goes on forever) but I definitely think he needed it, or something like it, up front with the rest of the "lighter" material given how heavy and dark he goes later (his joke about what happens to dead kids in heaven is one of the darker jokes I've ever heard).