Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003
I see the guy in a different light after hearing various interviews about what he's gone through and the Louie appearance, so I am sort of tempted to attempt a defense of Dane Cook. The best argument I've heard on this is that if Louis CK said "chainsaw-loving a dirty whore's oval office," which he would, those same people would think it was genius. Or what they thought when Chappelle was doing the exact same thing at the exact same place. It sucks that people got bumped, but TJ Miller's overreaction for Dane being too offensive is horrible/hypocritical.

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHvxmYSNv68

I don't know if it's the idea of Dane alienating his audience that's funny, but this is way better than his normal stuff. No, really, it is. Bumping people is lovely indeed but had the set went well it would be a story of begrudging respect for Dane doing some real comedy instead of doing his stupid act for college girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003

Glitterbomber posted:

What if we think CK is an unfunny douchebag who hides behind 'irony'

Who's 'we'? Because at large, we definitely don't.

quote:

and ALSO think storming into a club for your crazy misogynist rant is unacceptable? But do go on how funny 'chainsaw gently caress her dirty oval office' is because it's not for those dumb college bimbos :allears:

Look, the set didn't go well, and you get a bunch of people calling him out for being gross on the internet. I think Dane is trying to reinvent himself and become an angry east coast comic like his other pals are/were. He still has the right to attempt it in the first place regardless of what you think the boundaries in comedy are. They didn't like it and they didn't like getting bumped for it either. Both of those things happen in comedy clubs quite regularly.

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003
Hey guys, what level of irony do I have to be operating on to find Paul F. Tompkins funny?

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003

Ror posted:

Are there any strong opinions on which time to pick if a comedian is doing two shows in one night? I never know if it will make a difference, if the second show is any better or worse for coming right after the early one.

depends on the type of comic you're seeing. If you're seeing someone who attracts a lot of drunks, maybe you want to see the late show, because you will (guaranteed) see hecklers get handled and it's cool to see that moment. Jim Jefferies probably has one of the higher batting averages as far as shows getting interrupted.