Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

To be fair, when I watched the Louis special, I immediately thought "This is awfully similar to that David Cross bit". But I didn't think he stole it.

I never thought Dane Cook "stole" those bits from Louis, either. They were simple premises that were not all that close in execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Space_Butler posted:

I was wondering when this was gonna show up in the thread.

Likewise.

Dave Anthony created this brilliant thing

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Sporadic posted:

Is Patton's upcoming special really ruined if some lady uploaded a piece of a bit he is working on to YouTube?

Yes. People have an expectation when they watch/listen to/go see comedy that they're going to hear material they haven't heard before. It's not like going to see a band play your favorite songs. The element of surprise is often critical for the humor to work.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I haven't seen much Gaffigan, but his "inner voice" schtick gets old really, really fast. Is that his gimmick, or did he just do it incessantly in that one special?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The "Laboring Under Delusions" DVD has a 16 minute encore (for a total of 90 minutes), a behind the scenes look at the Tompkast, and audio commentary by "Garry Marshall". loving awesome.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Kaptain K posted:

I just constantly have the distinct sense that there's something I don't "get".

comedy

also, human beings

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Just running down the Comedy genre on my iPod...

Patton Oswalt - My Weakness Is Strong
Patton Oswalt - 222
Patton Oswalt - Werewolves & Lollipops
Patton Oswalt - Frankensteins and Gumdrops
Patton Oswalt - Pennsylvania Macaroni Company
Patton Oswalt - Patton Vs. Alcohol Vs. Zach Vs. Patton Ep
Louis CK - Word (I would have all the Louis CK albums if I didn't already have the shows on DVD)
Brian Regan - All By Myself
Robin Harris - BeBe's Kids
Maria Bamford - The Burning Bridges Tour
Maria Bamford - How To Win!
Maria Bamford - Unwanted Thoughts Syndrome
Dave Attell - Skanks for the Memories
Mitch Hedberg - Do You Believe in Gosh?
Mitch Hedberg - Strategic Grill Locations
Mitch Hedberg - Mitch All Together
Greg Proops - Elsewhere
Greg Proops - Joke Book
Sarah Silverman - Jesus Is Magic
Dan Telfer - Fossil Record
Tig Notato - Good One
Katt Williams - It's Pimpin' Pimpin'
Aziz Ansari - Intimate Moments for a Sensual Evening
Jimmy Pardo - Pompous Clown
Doug Benson - Potty Mouth
Todd Glass - Thin Pig
David Cross - It's Not Funny
David Cross - Shut Up, You loving Baby!
Todd Barry - Falling Off the Bone
Todd Barry - From Heaven
Todd Barry - Medium Energy
Dana Gould - Funhouse
Dana Gould - Let Me Put My Thoughts in You
Paula Poundstone - I Heart Jokes
Paul F. Tompkins - Freak Wharf
Paul F. Tompkins - Impersonal
Jake Johannsen - I Love You
Jake Johannsen - Jake This Dot Com
Jake Johannsen - Live at Cobb's Comedy Club
Various Artists - Invite Them Up
Various Artists - Un-Cabaret: The Un & Only

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

dik-dik posted:

On a different note, is Paul F Tompkins' recent stuff better than his old stuff? I sat through his first Comedy Central Presents special last night and laughed, on the whole, maybe once, and I think that was out of obligation more than amusement. I haven't seen anything else he's done, and before I waste any more of my time it would be cool to know if I'm in for more of the same or something different.

Check out his other stuff. Patton Oswalt's first CC Presents is pretty weak too.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

toanoradian posted:

Besides Sarah Millican, is there any good female stand-up comedians? With recorded material like CDs or DVDs?

Yes.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Sandra Bernhard owns, you fail.

I like Wanda Sykes too.

I got bored with Garfunkel and Oates very quickly.

People should dig Paula Poundstone more.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 15, 2012

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

DangerDummy! posted:

Speaking of old comedians, I saw that Jake Johansen has a fairly recent standup special on Netflix, and it might be almost 20 years since I've heard anything by him. Any good?

If you're talking about "I Love You", the standup is great. But the direction/editing of the special is terrible.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

New Maria Bamford album! :dance:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

escape artist posted:

*sigh*

Rest in peace, John Pinette.

He go now!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

XIII posted:

Jim Gaffigan's new special, Obsessed, debuts tonight on Comedy Central at 9pm (so, in twenty minutes) for those of you that like him. I'll probably wait til the cd is out and just listen to it.

Boy, I hope he's still doing the "inner voice"! That NEVER gets old!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Politicalrancor posted:

Lol yeah we had Leykis out here for forever, but for some reason im thinking he was afternoon drive time, though I could just be flat out wrong. He is garbage though.

Yeah, Leykis is not a "morning zoo" guy.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Never, ever judge a show based solely on the first episode.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Listening to Kumail Nanjiani's Beta Male, and on the track "VCR", he totally steals a bit from the classic 1992 Jake Johannsen special This'll Take About an Hour:

Jake Johannsen posted:

Then I tried to fix the toaster, which... I don't know why I thought I could fix a toast... it was a guy thing, I thought I, you know. "I'm a guy, I can fix it! I'm bigger than it!" So I go right for the screws on the bottom, and they know that's right where you're going 'cause they put that warning on: "Don't take these screws out!". Obviously, that's for someone else [whistles, mimics opening toaster]. Get the toaster open and I, I realize I have no idea what I was hoping to find in there, it's like a shoelace is untied maybe I could fix that. Snowman with his hat blown off... "Let me get that for little fella!" [mimics putting a hat on a tiny snowman] "That must've been it."

Kumail Nanjiani posted:

So I lift the cover off, and the tape is buried under layers and lay... I don't know what I was expecting. Like I'd just be able to get the tape right out, there'd be like a little, like, snowman. "Here's the tape you wanted!" Like, "Thank you, this has been wonderful! Here's your hat...."

What do you think: thievery, homage or coincidence?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Apoplexy posted:

Speaking of Amy, does anyone have any doubts that Anthony Jeselnik was totally writing her stuff for the first years (when she was funny)?

Does anyone have any doubts that Apoplexy is a misogynist piece of poo poo?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

But please tell do us more about how one of the finest and most respected comedians working today is making the worst mistakes. Your obvious expertise is so enlightening.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'll take Dane Cook at his worst over Jeselnik's "I'm so edgy" bullshit any day.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I watched his episode of "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" and he didn't say one funny thing. It was weird.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Odddzy posted:

Name twenty comedians better than Burr.

And what would be the point of that? I could do it without breaking a sweat, but why bother? You'd just say "nah, they're not better".

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Odddzy posted:

Ok, how about ten. You can't say I'm not doing this in good faith.

Easy-peasy baby!

I can say it and I will. You are very loving obviously not doing this in good faith. You can't just leave it at "this guy doesn't like Bill Burr as much as I do"?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Louis CK?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHObS7_0MEc

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

mrfart posted:

Man, I could really use a standup show with just jokes like this right now. I guess nobody does that anymore?

Demetri Martin is pretty similar. Not as good, but similar.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'm just weirded out by how much he looks like Peter Capaldi now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The new Todd Barry special is up on YouTube. It's... a little meh? Like, not bad, but not quite as good as his previous stuff.