Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Last night, because I have some friends who love her, I watched an uncensored Margaret Cho stand-up special aired on Logo and I seriously cannot believe how unfunny it was. The crowd went loving BUCK. WILD. though because the whole act is built on pandering to gay people. Also, a bunch of stuff about her vagina and anus. "Obnoxious" is an inadequate description.

About a half hour in, I decided it might be funny to rewind it to the beginning and count how many times she uses certain words during the ~90-minute performance. Here are my findings:

Vagina/pussy: 32

Gay/lesbian/fag/dyke: SIXTY-SEVEN (this number would've been a lot larger if I had counted queer, bi, butch, twink and bear as well)

(I didn't think of counting uses of anus or rear end in a top hat until it was too late but she told us about her rear end in a top hat at 4 separate, unconnected points during the evening. Charming).

She ended the show with a 4-5 minute-long song about how much she likes to have her pussy eaten.

To be clear, I have no problem with any of these topics as I'm amongst those who she's attempting to pander to, but it was all so repetitive and lacking in cleverness of any kind that I was honestly left baffled by her popularity. I chuckled only once and I don't even remember the joke - and I love stand-up.

I know she's been around forever and I somewhat recall her talking about being Korean all the time in the 90's, but if anyone here is more familiar with her work, I have to ask: was she always this bad? Has she ever made you laugh?

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

inferis posted:

Does anyone else also not like this thing that is popular?

What are you even saying? I'm giving my impression of a stand-up special in the the stand-up thread and asking how other people view the comedian's work and if they think she has gotten better or worse over the years.

I'm not hating on her because she's popular but because the special I saw was obnoxious and unfunny and it surprised me because I know how popular she is. I don't see how this is conceptually any different than the Dane Cook discussion earlier in this thread - or really any post made on SA that criticizes a thing that is popular.

ibntumart posted:

I'm really only familiar with her earlier 90s stuff. I thought she was funny back then, but I don't remember being impressed from my admittedly small exposure to her more recent performances. I phrase it that way because I honestly don't remember any of the jokes or my laughing at anything. I do remember a sense of her ranting and pandering more than anything, but again, I don't remember anything specific, so maybe I'm not being fair to her.

Yeah, this is basically how I felt about her until I really sat down and intently watched her special last night: a general sense that she had changed into a different kind of comedian over the years, (becoming huge in the gay community in the same way that Kathy Griffin, and more recently, Lisa Lampanelli have) and in the limited exposure I had to her, I thought she seemed less funny than I remembered but I had no strong feelings about her either way.

I should note that I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with being popular in the gay community or talking about gay issues but when you say gay/lesbian/fag/dyke 67 times in a 90 minute set, your motives seem fairly transparent.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

No, I can't fully blame her. Comedy is hard and not everyone can crank out a brilliant new hour every year like Louis CK, even if they are a generally funny person. I'm sure that for most of us, if we could find a way to continue doing what we love without having to work half as hard, we would jump at the chance. I can't imagine that it's as satisfying though. If she really has a love of stand-up, phoning it in can't feel as good to her as legitimately killing with great material.

As far as the Carlin in the 70's Effect you mention, I think it might be that the people who are attracted to LGBT comedy are not necessarily people who are also comedy nerds in general. They're new to all of this and therefore may be a bit easier to please than those of us in this thread. They're just thrilled that someone is writing jokes about them that celebrate them rather than diminish them, so they will lap up every last bit of it. I can't fully blame them either but it doesn't feel as good as being killed with legitimately good material.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

If I was talking about, say, Larry the Cable Guy and I documented how many times he said "git er done" or talked about beer and pickup trucks (or whatever that guy talks about, I don't know) and was amazed by the audience losing their poo poo over his non-jokes, no one would have a problem with it.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I saw Sarah Silverman live last Friday. She was...not good.

I adored the Sarah Silverman Program and I thought Jesus is Magic was pretty solid but on Friday, it felt like she only had like 20 minutes written and had to stretch it out to 1+ hour. Disappointing to the point of being kind of depressing. As we were leaving, I heard some people saying it sucked. I felt bad because I generally like her and almost wanted to defend her, but I couldn't argue with them. They were right. I've heard people say that Amy Schumer does everything Silverman does but better. I have to agree. I've seen her twice and she was good both times.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Aw, come on. I just read that as him being fair about it and saying that both sides have valid points and while he's generally on the side of comedians, he acknowledges that there is a fine line there. That's not unreasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Ariza posted:

He seemed sort of funny on that comedian tour with him, Patton, and Bandied, but everything since then has been dumb. I hate his cookie monster voice when he's talking about trying to get his hot wife to gently caress him and other ogrish things. He should stick to voice over work and one episode spots on random tv shows. I think without Patton he would've faded long ago.

However, his podcast is a lot of fun.

Granted, he's not so much the reason why though. Patton's one short appearance on the show was better than anything Posehn has contributed to it. Posehn's kind of a likeable dumb oaf though so I feel a little bad saying that.