Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

Tony Phillips posted:

Here's a potentially dumb question about something that was admittedly minor.

Went to a show Friday night at one of the local comedy clubs. Headliner and one of the openers had some CDs for sale after the show. At this venue they'll usually be set up where you'd go by their table on your way out. Basically, they're right there as you file out. Had a good time? - say hi, maybe (please) buy a CD as well.

So the headliner basically closed his set with (I'm paraphrasing ever so slightly, but this is pretty drat close.) "If you want to talk to me after the show, I'll be... (kinda pointing back towards the area where they'll be)... surprised." A small throwaway line at the end of the set, but really drat close to a Hedberg joke. So, how close to someone else's material does something have to be before it would be an issue among comedians?

I don't exactly expect Rogan to be heckling the guy over it, but I'm genuinely curious.

I've heard that same line from several comics. It's kind of a standard throw-away line, like saying "My ride's here" if there's a siren outside. I don't think anybody'd be upset about that as far as stealing material goes, but it's kinda hacky to use recycled lines like that.

Any comedian who's been at it for a while has had the experience of parallel thought, where they and another thought of similar jokes independently. It's usually just an indicator that the joke's not that clever. A joke like this is much more likely to be a case of that than stealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
If Pete Davidson's spirituality bugs you, definitely stay away from Duncan Trussel's podcast.

It's one of my favorites.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Does anybody here perform comedy themselves, like even just at open mics?

Before the virus, I'd been doing it for around 8 years. I started in college, in a small college town, but after graduating moved back to my old home town, not far from Los Angeles.

I've got to meet and perform with some people I admired, and every single time they've been cool.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting about it: A year or two ago, a local, low-level comedian who produces shows and managed to make some big name contacts was accused by several women, some comedians, some not, of some kind of sexual assault, usually involving drugging them and raping them. I know personally two of these women and believe both of their stories completely.

So there was kind of a schism in our local scene, in which most comedians, but sadly only a few venues, stopped associating with him completely. However, he continued to put on shows, using his contacts to get big names from L.A. to come out. I was very disappointed in some of my good friends who would justify doing his shows. But they just couldn't resist being on the same stage as [big name]. Like that's going to do anything for you. A lot of locals considered it a black mark for you if you still did his shows after this news came out.

Heh, I remember him personally asking me to be on a show with D'Elia. I just never responded, cause gently caress him, and now I'm even more sure that was the right choice.
So yeah, these people exist at all levels of this business. It's really sad because I love comedy and am not being hyperbolic when I say it saved my life, but these kinds of predators are everywhere, in every business.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Oh, awesome!

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Sometimes it can get tiresome, but I like World Record Podcast with Brendon Walsh. He often does like a reverse call in show schtick where he calls businesses and customer support lines and tries to get whoever answers to talk to his celebrity guest. It doesn't always hit right, but listening to a lady who's on the clock get into a random 20 minute conversation with Michael Keaton was pretty amusing. Also fun to hear the celebrities' reactions to people saying they've never heard of them.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Got my tickets to see Stanhope in March. I've seen him 4 or 5 times before and he's always great. I'm stoked

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Isn't that the same thing that happened with Larry the Cable Guy? Dude was just doing a character to kind of make fun of a certain type of dude, and then that type of dude became his audience, which became huge?

As a performer, that kind of success has gotta be bittersweet. A little like a band whose only hit single is a cover.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

BiggerBoat posted:

I have a lot of respect for anyone that even tries it. I can be funny here and there and have been described as funny by some but it's always contextual and based on things that are happening naturally unless it's a joke I'm telling. For the life of me, the idea of having to be funny at exactly 8pm on a thursday night in front of a bunch of people expecting to laugh is really daunting. Like, regardless of your mood, what kind of day you had, how long you had to work poo poo out (like you said), the pressure of really needing to deliver no matter the circumstances or the environment has to be intimidating, if not completely terrifying.

I've been to some open mic nights and have thought about trying it myself and even if they're not doing well I have a lot of respect for anyone who tries. BE FUNNY on command...NOW!...Man.

It's like...imagine the difference between even finding some funny poo poo to riff on at a party in a small group compared to how funny you might be if suddenly the whole party got silent and started listening to you tell your jokes.

I've been performing stand up for well over 10 years. I'm still pretty much just doing open mics and the occasional smaller show. I've recently seen people I used to do shows with as guests on some of the more popular podcasts, going on tour with big names, etc. It's cool to see, but of course there's a part of me that thinks I'm at least as funny as they are, why ain't I getting on shows? I know the answer has to do with self promotion and networking. Like those people set out to get famous; I just set out to do comedy. I never try to meet bookers or promoters; I've always just let them come to me. Of course when they've all got dozens of people hitting them up, they're not going to bother going to that one dude they saw that time who was pretty funny, but never asks about spots.

I get good responses most times I perform, and I'm well liked and respected in my local scene. Getting crowds to laugh comes pretty easily to me now, but put me in a party, in some conversation random people are having? No chance. I won't have anything to add. Definitely a large part of that is the autism and my weirdness in social situations. I also tend to be really quiet, so being the only person with a microphone helps me a lot.

Anyway, all that's just to say keep going to open mics! They all need audience members who aren't comics too wrapped up in their own stuff to pay attention. Yes, a lot of the people will be new and not funny, but the sets are short enough, and like you said, watching people's bits develop over time is fun. If you stick around the same scene long enough, you can see the comics themselves grow and develop, not just their material. And if you keep going, eventually you will put your name on the list.

Really, as someone who grew up pretty lonely and outcast, getting a room full of strangers to smile and laugh with just some words I thought of has been one of the best feelings I've had in my life. There's a real human connection there I find difficult to make in other circumstances.

e: Included the post to which I was replying, on account of the new page

skeletronics fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 5, 2023

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

Coco13 posted:

Especially if you want to practice crowd work.

Hmm, I never thought amateur comedy was all that interesting, but maybe I've just been in it too long. I might do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I watched The Road Dog starring Doug Stanhope. Thought it was excellent. It's about comedy, but is not a comedy movie. It did get a couple laughs out of me, as well as some actual tears. I'd heard Stanhope say in a podcast that if you've read Sam Tallent's book Running the Light, it's essentially the same story and it is. (That book is also excellent, incidentally.)

Most of the bits of stand up we do see Doug's character perform in the movie did come straight from his old acts so if you're a Stanhope fan, those parts will be familiar.

Anyway, it's worth watching. I'd recommend it to any fan of stand up.

Also Greg Fitzsimmons is in it and I got to tell my girlfriend "Oh remember we saw him in the parking lot of that pizza joint" because covid made comedy weird for a while.