Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Yeah, I didn't think it was very good. He seems to have used up all of his good material on "Nerd Rage"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Past Tense Ragu posted:

You are so prickly and loving sensitive, jesus
Great post, wonderful contribution to the thread! Actually, he's been following me through the forums for weeks now, and it's obnoxious. I finally caved and added him to my ignore list. Also, aren't you the guy who's been sending me goatse photos in my PMs?

Did anyone check out the new Owen Benjamin stand-up last night on CC? I DVR'ed it.

Upcoming new hour long specials that I'm looking very forward to: Kumail Nanjiani, Kurt Metzger and Sarah Silverman.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 30, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Jesus Christ. Scratch Metzger off the list of upcoming stand-up specials I'm looking forward to.

Declan MacManus posted:

"...i choked her. Not really hard, but definitely criminally."

"On other hand, who thinks it's okay to burn my stuff because I was late. gently caress you bitch."

Seriously, I'm honestly appalled. I really liked his first album and assumed he was always playing up what a lovely person he was. This is like finding out Anthony Jeselnik really does some of the horrible stuff in his stand-up.

I can admit when I was wrong-- and I was dreadfully wrong about Metzger.

edit:

Christ, I searched "Kurt Metzger choke" and found a whole bunch of poo poo. Metzger calling a bunch of people, and I quote: "niggerfaggots"

I feel dirty just having typed that.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 1, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

The Berzerker posted:

Yeah, I spent too much time in the sun yesterday, I don't know what I was thinking.

There's actually a "Behind Amy Schumer" -- which is behind the scenes of the show-- where she discusses why she picked each writer.

"I think Kurt is hilarious and a total degenerate."

http://www.comedycentral.com/cc-studios/behind-amy-schumer/3zuasl/episode-102

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Just make sure you tell the comics where you're going to be and where to expect the light. First time I ever performed the host forgot to do that and he was dancing around the whole venue trying to get me off, because I did twice my time. I'm nearsighted and didn't notice him at all.

Time loving flies when you go up there, 5 minutes feels like 2 minutes.

I wish some places would just invest in a red light, because a lot of the times it's people holding up cell phones, which is tough to see regardless of your vision.

Oh, and don't be a dick. That sounds like a mean jape, but it's not. Some hosts are real assholes and some are really cool and friendly.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 3, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
both Kyle Kinane albums

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I'm late but Colin Quinn: Long Story Short is one of the best things on Netflix. It's not stand-up, but a hilarious one-man show about the fall of all the great civilizations throughout history. Definitely picking up tickets for his show about the Constitution when it swings into town.
Yeah, that one is essential viewing. It's hilarious, but it's also jaw-droppingly brilliant.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Well I'm glad someone got to go! I didn't think a show like that could disappoint.

Jeselnik will be at Hard Rock in October, btw. I'm absolutely going, even if I have to go alone.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Al! posted:

June Diane Raphael's Dice impression is so fuckin funny.

where can I hear this?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

regulargonzalez posted:

Posted this in A/T but was suggested to ask here.

In Denver there's a radio station with nothing but stand up comedy. Occasionally they'll play old tracks from the 50s-80s. One thing I've noticed is that anything from, say, 1965 or earlier is pretty different than modern stand up which tends to be "funny observations and 'true', real-life stuff that happened to me" to broadly generalize. The older recordings are of a more jokey nature -- again, broadly generalizing, something like "A rabbi, a priest, and Buddha walk into a bar." These sound horribly dated and are almost always unfunny, but that might just be my modern sensibility.

Anyway, when did this culture change in stand up come about, and who led the way? At a guess I'd speculate Lenny Bruce and Bill Cosby, but I'd love to hear from someone who is more knowledgeable than myself.

Lenny Bruce is correct.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Comedy Central Half-Hour lineup for 2014:

· Adam Newman
· Barry Rothbart
· Chris Distefano
· Chris Gethard
· Damien Lemon
· Fortune Feimster
· Joe Wengert
· Joe Zimmerman
· Kurt Braunohler
· Mark Normand
· Michael Che
· Rachel Feinstein
· Ron Funches
· Tommy Johnagin
· Yannis Pappas

I'm excited.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I can vouch for the hilarity of all but 3 or 4 of them. Funches will be the best. Che and Brauhnohler will be amazing, too. Just Youtube some clips. Rachel Feinstein's album "Thug Tears" is a good one. I just hope it's new material on her Half Hour.

Also, a few of those folks did sets on Adam Devine's House Party.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Ariza posted:

I tried to watch that show because I used to like Workaholics but I turned it off after ten minutes and then forgot that it existed. Are there any particular episodes that are worth watching?

The sketches are bad, but I assume the reason they exist is to pull some of the Workaholics audience in so they can see new comics. It's a good idea for attracting new people, but it's annoying for people who just want to watch the stand-up. I fast-forward through all of the sketch stuff and just watch the sets. I've seen some very good stand-up on there.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

It was a decent idea to mix sketches about Adam's party with the stand up, but it ends up cutting too much into the comics' time to really see some good sets. You got 22 minutes divided by three, then add in the sketches and you got these truncated sets where everything feels off because of the editing.

Your average late night set is only 4 or 5 minutes. So, getting 3 per 22 minute episode is actually pretty good.

Also, Michael Che is gonna be the first person to do a stand-up set on Seth Meyers' Late Night show. Gonna be a good year for him. I think he's only been doing stand-up for 4 years-- he just does it constantly, and thus has grown much more rapidly.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 13, 2014

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Saw Amy Schumer and Kurt Metzger live tonight. Both of them rocked the stage. Top notch, A+. Got to see a few new clips from the upcoming season of Inside Amy Schumer, too.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Apoplexy posted:

There's a list of stand-ups a mile long that I absolutely love, but Kurt Metzger makes me laugh the absolute hardest. I just wish he had more than one CD out, because it's SO good. To see him with Amy must be loving awesome.

Apoplexy -- in the mean time, you can check out Kurt's podcast with Sherrod Small called RaceWars. I know the name makes it sound stupid, but it's actually incredible. A good one to start off with is either called Blood Quanta or Black Baby Slippers. I can't remember the final title.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 22, 2014

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
There's a lot more to Kurt Metzger than that silly mudslinging article from the radical feminists. I met him one month ago today, and I could not believe how sweet he was. "Consummate professional" is not what I expected to describe him as after I met him. Super cool dude. His new special comes out in May.

You'll note that the mudslinging article was written by the same hivemind that attacked Patton Oswalt for not criticizing other comics about rape jokes. That's right. Not for making rape jokes, but for being the voice of reason (re: Boston Marathon bombing) and then not telling comics how to do their job.

Kurt is a feminist. He just tackles a lot of issues other people won't touch. Check out his podcast Race Wars with Sherrod Small. It's hilarious, and a great public forum.

Also, I agree with the poster who said the Chris Distefano thing made me sad. There's a Kickstarter for for a Mike DiStefano documentary, but it's got 50 days and like $500 of its $75k goal. :(

escape artist fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 20, 2014

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
^^ Sorry I didn't call you by name; I was just too lazy to scroll when I was editing that post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-i5ADmdO4E

Mike's image is used in the logo of one of the best comedy clubs in NYC -- The Stand (not Stand-up NY).

Check it out:

http://www.thestandnyc.com/shows/

Tomorrow night they've got:
Judah Friedlander, Kurt Metzger, Big Jay Oakerson, Pat Dixon, Chris DiStefano (speak of the devil), Damien Lemon

The night after that:
Pete Davidson, Seth Herzog, Adrienne Iapalucci, Judah Friedlander, Jay Oakerson, Ali Wong, and More!

XIII -- for what its worth, I've heard that the Kickstarter is going to be redone with extra promotions. So there's still a chance. I'm sure it will happen, eventually.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1991723087/support-the-mike-destefano-documentary

escape artist fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 21, 2014

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

caligulamprey posted:

Now that there's a local Comedy Scene in Portland, Bridgetown has been concentrating on getting more locals rather than big names for the last couple years, so if you're banking on super recognizable names, you might want to go with L.A. instead. I've gone to all of them except the first one and just spend the entire four days walking around in a comedy daze.

Big names or not, there's a solid 6-8 hours of stuff going down at four or five venues every day and it's absolutely impossible to be bored by it.

Edit: of course the best part about Bridgetown this year is there's no overbearing threat of Andy Dick crashing any show at any moment. Everyone was totally on edge about it that year.

Can anyone link me to the Bridgetown lineup?

Never mind. Found it. Yeah, this is the one I thought it was. I don't see a lot of local Portland comics on there. Unless local just means "Pacific Northwest", then there are a few more. Lots of NYC people on the lineup. Def. check out Adrienne Iapalluci if you get the chance. Her debut set on Letterman was so good that he invited her to the couch.

Her pregnancy/chapstick joke is one of my favorites.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 25, 2014

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
*sigh*

Rest in peace, John Pinette.

Prescription drugs take another.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I would also say Mulaney is the best right now.

Ari Shaffir was supposed to tape a Netflix special this Friday, but appears to have gone dark. Should be interesting to see how that all plays out.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Ari's Netflix taping has been cancelled.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

piratepilates posted:

Remember that time Ari shaffir drugged bert kreischer with ecstacy in his own house around his kids, right before they had to go on a plane ride or something like that? And then boasted about it and laughed talking about it on Joe rogan's podcast while everyone else was staring in horror at what a complete psycho he is.

I just watched that video for the first time.

Holy poo poo.

It's pure sociopath. No remorse whatsoever. I'm legitimately shocked.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
been planning to check out that Eddie Pepitone special myself

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
New Millenium Emo Philips is Vince Gillian with a Dane Cook haircut, whoa. Thanks, I hate it.

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Josh Gondelman's new stand-up special, "People Pleaser," is streaming on Amazon Prime Video, and it was really funny. It was one of my two favorite specials of 2022 so far.

What's the other?

Saw Gondelman on a late night show years back and I just remember that name, and thinking he was brilliant. I'll check it out

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

BiggerBoat posted:

So Doug Stanhope's house was burning down and he streamed it

https://boingboing.net/2022/11/23/doug-stanhope-dances-while-his-house-burns-down.html

Last night, comedian Doug Stanhope posted a TikTok showing his house burning down. While it's clearly not a laughing matter, he tried to find some levity in the situation by singing and dancing to the Talking Heads' Burning Down the House.

The Bisbee, Arizona resident also tweeted, "As I realized my house was on fire, I just thought What Should I Save? Phone and cigarettes was what i grabbed. I shoulda grabbed the full pack. Now I wonder if I will ever find contractors to work in Bisbee. Go Cardinals?"

https://twitter.com/DougStanhope/status/1594968939091697665

I saw him perform a month ago... he did 90 minutes in a sold out club, signed autographs for fans, then performed for about 25 people at the hotel bar's open mic. It was legendary

Glad the fire wasn't worse

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

I'm sure everyone has their own opinions, but I made a list of my favorite stand-up specials of 2022, in case people are interested:

https://saboscrivner.com/2022/12/31/the-saboscrivners-top-stand-up-comedy-specials-of-2022/

Some good choices, happy to see Gondelman on that list. He's delightful.

Eddie Pepitone put up some Florida dates btw, for the end of the month (if you're interested Big Bad Voodoo Lou)

escape artist fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 8, 2023

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
new Mulaney special is really good

Remulak posted:

That entire crew from The Stand are a bunch of unrepentant scumbags.

Might I ask for specifics?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

skeletronics posted:

I watched The Road Dog starring Doug Stanhope. Thought it was excellent. It's about comedy, but is not a comedy movie. It did get a couple laughs out of me, as well as some actual tears. I'd heard Stanhope say in a podcast that if you've read Sam Tallent's book Running the Light, it's essentially the same story and it is. (That book is also excellent, incidentally.)

Most of the bits of stand up we do see Doug's character perform in the movie did come straight from his old acts so if you're a Stanhope fan, those parts will be familiar.

Anyway, it's worth watching. I'd recommend it to any fan of stand up.

Also Greg Fitzsimmons is in it and I got to tell my girlfriend "Oh remember we saw him in the parking lot of that pizza joint" because covid made comedy weird for a while.

Stanhope was incredible in that episode of Louie about the suicidal comic. I look forward to seeing him in a full-length feature. I'll check it out soon and post my review.

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Medullah posted:

Any good new specials out on Netflix or YouTube?

Sam Tallent's special is stellar. The Toad's Morale, on YT

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I get the feeling that Lewis was on the cutting edge of certain material such as being in recovery from alcoholism and bipolar disorder (then called manic depression)

only know him from late night shows and Curb Your Enthusiasm and when I was younger I never quite "got it" but now I think he's pretty hilarious, at least for someone who was older than my dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
there's a new Dave Attell one on Youtube.