Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Sporadic posted:

Agreed but, on the flipside, if you are performing in public, you should try to not lose your poo poo if you notice somebody is recording you.

Would we have even heard of this if Patton just called for security and had the lady removed?

That was part of the problem it was just some restaurant that happened to be having a comedy show that night. There was no security to deal with it and the management probably had no idea something like that would/could be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

I remember seeing Pattons special when it aired on showtime and even then it was pretty eh. I even watched it a few more times just to make sure I wasn't just feeling lovely but nope it wasn't good.

Tompkins was amazing. I honestly didn't really enjoy his specials very much until this one. It feels like he and Patton switched places in my head lately which is weird.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

plastered quack posted:

Anyone plan on buying either of these? I'm really interested to see how funny Bobcat's album might be.

I saw Bobcat's special on showtime a few months ago and it was fantastic.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

HateTheInternet posted:

Does Natasha Leggero bug anyone else? I've heard her on podcasts and have heard some of her stand-up and I can't get over just how unintelligent she seems and no one has any criticisms about her. Even Marc Maron likes her and that just makes no sense to me other than the fact she's incredibly attractive. Because that's how Maron seems to roll.

Leggero's act is partly doing the unintelligent schtick but she seems to try to go back and forth with it and it just doesn't work for me either. Also she seems to be into a lot of typical pseudo-science bullshit which doesn't help. I think Eltoasto summed her up pretty well as someone whose hit or miss.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

This seems like a continuation of a trend. Go on the internet and get "outraged" (Patton, Cook, Morgan) give as little info as possible and straight up lie for internet fame. She just comes off like the latest in a developing line of attention whores complaining about comedians.

I'm not even a fan of Tosh but her saying "I did this because even though being "disruptive" is against my nature, I felt that sitting there and saying nothing, or leaving quietly, would have been against my values as a person and as a woman." then whining to the internet that Tosh upset her? Yes you're an attention whore it's exactly your nature to do be disruptive. You bitched at Tosh for attention and you went to the internet for more.

I can't wait for the next person to get butthurt about a joke. I'll put my money on someone going after Louis C.K. next because why the hell not.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Mst3kmann posted:

It already did happen to him, and it inspired an episode on his show.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3489860#post404678207

poo poo I remember that episode now. It's just beyond stupid how transparent this bullshit is. I'm surprised (I shouldn't be) so many people are taking this seriously; it's the latest trend in attention whoring. It's like a goddamn game of Clue. Zach Galifianakis offends a lesbian at the comedy central stage with an anal sex joke.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

TheAbortionator posted:

I'm pretty confused, is there some kind of spread sheet that I can check to clarify when and when its not appropriate to laugh at a rape joke?

You see only women can joke about regular rape and men are the only ones who can talk about prison rape. Don't make a gay joke in with the prison rape joke though that would be homophobic. Unless they're gay then it's cool.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Little Blue Couch posted:

It's good that someone finally came in with such a cogent and thoughtful summary of what he imagines someone's opinion might be, somewhere. How is it possible that so many people hear "hey rape is a sensitive subject that requires deft handling in comedy" and immediately lash out like they're being loving brutally oppressed. Christ alive.

Where did he express anything close to rape being a sensitive subject? He made a blanket statement that all rape jokes are horrible and unfunny then posted a link to one he suddenly finds appropriate. No poo poo it's a sensitive subject and takes some skill to make a good joke about. Seriously read Political's post and tell me how he thinks that 8 minute rape joke is ok other than a woman is telling it.

Politicalrancor posted:

I knew it was a really bad idea to check this thread.

Its nice to see a bunch of White Male Comedians defending their "right" to say rape jokes. Glad you guys have brought in perspectives of people who have a greater chance of sexual abuse, you know, women?

Rape really just isnt funny, and if you do find it funny you are a really gross, rear end in a top hat misogynist. Go ahead and continue to laugh and re-tell and defend them if you want, I can't stop you.

Most of you fucks suck, don't understand censorship, and are the problem with ending misogyny in comedy. gently caress you.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Aisha posted:

I know that lots of male comedians have defended their use of rape jokes or "offending people". But similarly it is the audience's right to react and call said comedians and their supporters on their hateful nonsense.

So female comedians doing it is cool got it.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Angry Avocado posted:

I'm all for this. Humor is an excellent way to point out discrepancies in our current way of thinking, and to push people to think about subjects they might not be comfortable with, or never really thought about. But most people who talk about societal ills don't do this, and at worst they do the exact thing you just described: creating humor that endorses bad ideas.

THIS loving THIS. A rape joke isn't an inherent endorsement of rape nor, is a joke about race inherently an endorsement of racism. If those statements are true and extrapolated then drat near every comedian that's ever worked is some kind of horrible bigot. Marc Maron hates christians for his latest album having a 20 minute bit about the creationist museum and muslims for his bit about freaking out on a plane, Sara Silverman hates so so so many people, Maria Bamford hates old people, Dave Chappelle is racist for talking about race outside of him being black. How would we draw the line with comics who have joked about relationships with regards to sexism? Both genders of comedians talk about each other for humour. These jokes don't diminish the problem either; it's just another way of talking about the issue and even drawing attention to it when done correctly.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Holy poo poo guys Natasha Leggero endorses rape or it's cool because she's a girl who the gently caress knows anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHyhLtroeF4&t=121s

I guess Dave Chappelle doing this one is cool because he's talking about men being raped and he's a man. Is it? Maybe he's endorsing male rape by making a gag out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLWlBgj0uOc

Could it be they're just making jokes and not endorsing rape?! Outrageous!

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Sporadic posted:

Ron White decided to go the same route Louis C.K took.

http://ronwhitespecial.com/

I haven't heard anything of his since his first album and the story Doug Stanhope told about him isn't too encouraging (he buys jokes from other comedians like Andy Andrist and told Doug "I buy good jokes, take the teeth out of them and than they applaud me") but who knows, maybe it's good?

I've seen a few of his specials and was never dissapointed. He's a decent comic and the only good thing to come from the Blue Collar Comedy bullshit. Goons would probably have an ok opinion of him if he had never done it.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Ariza posted:

Amy Schumer censored by Comedy Central seems like it would be pretty terrible (see It's Always Sunny). Do they ever play the stand-ups uncensored like they do with South Park real late at night?

That's how the whole uncensored thing started out. It was uncensored comedy specials and movies now it's lovely parody movies, south park, and Tosh.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Hasn't Patton told similar stories from his days as Spence on King of Queens or am I misremembering? I really hate headlines saying he has a "meltdown" every time this poo poo happens.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Given Ben Bailey's last career I would not be surprised to see him lose his poo poo now and then. Comics who have some TV success tend to have bitterness about it for along time. It seems to just take time for that old buzz to die and them to readjust.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

The Duke posted:

The Ron Funches show was great, like half the jokes I'd already heard on his standup special that aired on CC a few months ago and on various talk show appearances but it was still hilarious. We managed to get there early enough and the venue was super small (maybe 40 people?) that we ended up in the front row on the corner of the stage. Afterwards he came and hung out at the bowling alley bar for a little bit so my girlfriend and I chatted with him and got a couple pictures. He was very nice and shook my hand and appreciated us telling him we loved him on Undateable and his appearances on @midnight. I told him I'd been a fan since I first saw him on Conan in like 2011 and he sincerely thanked us. Unless he's secretly a giant rear end in a top hat in real life he was definitely as personable and loveable as he appears on TV. I feel like he's going to get moderately popular at some point in the future so it was really cool seeing him in such an intimate setting.

But did you hug him? I mean Ron Funches appears to be the most huggable comedian ever.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Guy Branum and Kyle Kinane had great albums this year.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

I know most people here give no fucks about Ralphie May but he's having a weird meltdown over the title of Chelsea Peretti's album title. There's tons of quoted tweets of him trying to justify it including announcing his IQ...yeah he's in a good place.

https://twitter.com/Ralphie_May/status/691220415255941120
https://twitter.com/Ralphie_May/status/691217383285886978

also including racism!
https://twitter.com/Ralphie_May/status/691225880832663552

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Has anyone gotten Proops new album yet? I have the feeling it's just the podcast that I've fallen way out of love with.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Not even teenager kid is in like 7th grade. Kat Williams felt so threatened by a 12yo that he felt it appropriate to sucker punch the kid and get taken to the ground by said kid. I keep imagining him as Rick James in the old Chappelle Show sketches.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Chris D'Elia: daddy is a mega producer
Pauly Shore: mom owns the Comedy Store

How the poo poo did Jamie Kennedy happen?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

So Amazon's standup subscription thing worth it? Seems a little sparce but I haven't kept up with what they've been releasing.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Michael Rapaport decided to die on defending Chris Brown against the PC Police Aziz Ansari hill.

http://www.avclub.com/article/michael-rapaport-calls-aziz-ansari-politically-cor-249130

quote:

“But Aziz Ansari, you are one of these holier-than-thou political correct police,” he said. “This little f*ck. Mr. Racial, he’s like Mr. Provocative… He’s like, ‘Oh, the brown people this.’ He’s always talking about the brown people and I get that he tries to be racially provocative. He is racially provocative… I said this once and I’ll say it again.”

“F*ck you, you little politically correct f*ck, you. I’m not saying he’s not funny. I’m not saying he’s not talented. And I’m not saying his voice isn’t warranted, but you are not holier than thou,”

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Boywhiz88 posted:

What’s dumb is that the “high schooler testifying before Congress” idea could be a good bit. Except you go about it talking about the absurdity of adults not willing to testify or listen to children saying they don’t want to be shot. So eventually kids try to do it themselves and are outright dismissed despite their very reasoanable pleas of “we don’t want to die of gun violence in school.”

"yeah well we had real bullies in our day loving pussies! They were something to really be scared of. We got our asses beat all the time" is the next step for Louis on that "joke"

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

"Kids these days" was tired when Socrates did it

Bitching about kids not wanting to get shot and trans people is literally just fox news. He's not edgy he's just a Chud.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Any comic can do something hackey. Even Chappelle turned on his own Wayne Brady and Bryant Gumble punchlines.

"Does Wayne Brady have to choke a bitch" was written as part of him making up with Brady about it.

Chris Rock disowned his most famous bit because he realized it ended up being harmful

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

They're funny they also have material that didn't age well and have some hack/sexist/homophobic etc material. It's possible to think both of these things.

Goon hyperbole: requiring people be hand held through the simplest things

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

14-24 was cooks demo they aged out

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Yeah it's pretty terrible and standard Fox News fare these days.

a combination of "YOUTHS!" and a good ol fashioned appeal of extremes to dunk on trans people. He should've capped off the trifecta and complained about avocado toast.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Odddzy posted:

Dude, do you really think that audience member was actually lusting for child death?

Yeah gently caress these kids for saying school shootings are terrible and going before Congress! Shut up dumb child and accept that gun violence is fine.

If you think it's good man you should just leave fox news on all day.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Odddzy posted:

Please quote me back where I've said it's good.

Oh sorry racism and children not wanting to die is "fine" material in progress that we shouldn't judge him for.

:jerkbag:

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Posts short essay defending bad jokes from a sex offender

"No you're melting down!"

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Odddzy posted:

You don't get to have a say on if you found a joke good or not when you don't understand it.

Odddzy posted:

Jokes really are like frogs. Once you dissect them, they're dead.

Did I think to much or not enough?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Lol just lol people going this far to defend a Sean hannity monologue as sophisticated humor

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

gently caress those kids that got shot at during school. They just hid behind the fatties. They haven't seen poo poo. I'm not listening to you dumb child. You only saw your friends get murdered in front of you.

A sophisticated and complete joke from a sex offender.

Cue more "it's just a joke" excuses

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Someone is this invested in Louis CK in tyool 2019.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

https://radio.foxnews.com/2019/01/04/video-the-medias-hypocritical-reaction-to-louis-c-k-s-latest-controversy/

hmm yes deep thoughts.

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 9, 2019

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Odddzy posted:

Can you explain what that link's about and your point of view on it? I think I've argued my point in good faith enough.

You wouldn't understand

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Odddzy posted:

That's fine, I'm just surprised that for someone that hates Fox news and their talking heads so much, you sure sound like you spend a lot of time watching their videos.

I used an esoteric website to find it you'd never figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

bango skank posted:

pretty funny that the people getting hysterical about loving jokes in the stand up comedy thread are the ones acting like theyre dunking on others, thats the true comedy here imho

just jokes brah!

https://www.stormfront.org/forum/t599807-9/