Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

indigi posted:

I met Todd Barry after a big standup show at The Bell House in Brooklyn where he also played drums for a Clash song and there were like 3-4 pretty ladies throwing themselves at him afterward so he had no time for me. I just wanted to say hi and tell him how funny I thought he was but he was having none of it. I get it, though, I'd probably do the same thing.

So what you're saying is that "getting a Todd Barry" from Delocated is actually real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

PFT legitimately looks way better with the mustache. It hides the gap in his teeth.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

dik-dik posted:

Dane Cook's joke rely entirely on his delivery. Nothing he's ever said has ever been funny or amusing, but the way he says it tricks a lot of people into laughing.

I don't really get this as a negative. Delivery and timing is a pretty huge facet of stand-up.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

If you want a girl with funny one liners, Morgan Murphy is what you're looking for

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

escape artist posted:

I find what Richards did to be way, way worse than what Tosh did. Tosh made a joke. Richards made a personal attack. I don't think what Tosh did was funny, but there's no way you can say he wanted her to get raped right there.

How in the world is telling someone that you wish they were gang raped not a personal attack?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Follow @twittels for some foam on the go

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

She was on last week's How Was Your Week telling the horror story about her pneumonia, if anyone cares.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

manyak posted:

Can anyone explain what the gently caress is supposed to be funny about Sam Kinison?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Viacom, owner of Comedy Central, just pulled out of Netflix so stand-up is going to be super thin on there now.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Was Metzger the guy who went off on the UCB Theatre without understanding what their ethos was?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Politicalrancor posted:

Funnier than his UCB meltdown was Besser and Ian Roberts doing a special I4H to dispel the idea that the theater is some cash cow for them. Like apparently they've operated at just above black for the entire time the theater has been open.

And it's a co-op environment where they use the profits from the big time sell outs to keep the entry level student shows going. And they intentionally keep the prices at 10 dollars tops.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

escape artist posted:

Oh my goodness. Now I have to find the Paul F. Tompkins radio bit where he makes fun of this. It never ceases to crack me up, hearing Paul analyze that. "You can take a helicopter ride over to the Fresh-rear end Comedy tent..."

Oh and to the poster a few posts above me: Thanks for the Kaufman recommendation!

At 1:27:10 :smith:
http://wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=2&show=32311&archive=54334

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Hey remember when we were discussing Kurt Metzger being a piece of poo poo? Well here he is admitting to choking a girlfriend and saying other awful poo poo.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

The Berzerker posted:

Apparently Amy Schumer is doing a reddit AMA today. I don't post on reddit but hopefully someone asks her why she employs a giant piece of poo poo like Metzger.

I'm sure Reddit will be very concerned about supporting a woman beater.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

He's a veteran comic. He couldn't shut down some hecklers?

It sounds like it was a large portion of the crowd, not just a couple of assholes. Also I imagine it's tough when a bunch of rich white kids with zero introspection shout catchphrase from your show that involve the N-word.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Chappelle is attracting an audience that doesn't really follow stand-up. I don't know if he can avoid it unless he just does smaller, alternative venues.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

A story pops up every few years that shows us Andy is alive. It's never true, but I get really giddy about the idea every time these stories happen.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

BIZORT posted:

Well, that's a really tired attempt at a joke but it's just exaggeration, which is what humor more or less is, so I don't see a need to get all social justice warrior about it, either. That being said, I find him really annoying.

I think that was a thing that happened on his Facebook, but anyway he seems like a giant dick aside from that and isn't funny enough to make up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

I like when Bill Burr calls the companies who advertise on his podcast stupid and/or lovely and they pull their sponsorship