Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
DiPaolo has stated that yes in fact they did just grab that image without knowing who it was. And apologised, and is changing it. It's a weird approach to take given that his whole thing is about people being too sensitive these days.

Anyway, gently caress me the clips from his show are bad but it's interesting to see him shoehorn in language he knows will favour an alt-right audience before he awkwardly transitions to a joke that has nothing to do with what he just said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Burr kind of carries the SOUTH PARK attitude of 'You're all loving dumb' that just comes from being an older white man. But Burr is also quick to put himself down for his older white man attitude. You can see why he attracts lovely people because there's overlap between him and the alt-right views. I think it was Conan where he's talking about things like due process when it comes to things like #metoo and it's like yeah if you don't know any better you would just assume he's one of those guys.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I feel like Burr would get violent for about 3 seconds before laughing at himself for trying to be a tough guy. I can hear him ranting about it on his podcast.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

His bit about DaBaby was so dumb. He killed someone in self defence, and it happened before he released his first song. If you're ok with that and still support his music then fine, but that has nothing to do with Gay people not being ok with his homophobia. Chances are a lot of people didn't even know he had killed someone until he was in the news for being dumb.

People want to claim it's a comedy show, but it was more like a lecture. And if you're going to lecture people, at least be right

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Dave has said that he won't bend to anyone's demands and meet the people staging the Netflix walkout, which is funny because none of their demands were to meet him.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Well done if you can sit through this.

https://twitter.com/JimBreuer/status/1450541853183397890?t=mlO0CF-sw5a53i908A8AGA&s=19

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

https://twitter.com/responsiblerob/status/1460133490654019585?t=SpVuWjWB12yveX_rhHs8Ww&s=19

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Chappelle went to a high school to do a Q&A about his special, tailed by a camera crew (the kids had to lock their phones away). Telling kids you're more successful than they are is a real Dennis Reynolds move.

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1463898858757443584?t=8h-OqeAVA3jnNXKM5vAd1A&s=19

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

There's some prime forced laughter in this one.

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1469331280907149319?t=8f58ebeymQogWjSnVjxAjA&s=19

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Wild times. There's going to be more hand-wringing over the safety of comedians again. I guess we still don't know why he did it but it seemed to be planned rather than just a response to something he said.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I'm sure we're going to see a lot of the same arguments reheated. Sucks for the people who had to sit through it, and at this point there's something wrong with Chapelle who is starting to make this poo poo the cornerstone of his act.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I watched the Gervais special. Same as his other ones. Despite what he calls it, it's always usually the same topics and I know for a fact I've heard stuff here from old xfm shows.

He stops at one point to basically say "Trans rights", which was probably the most surprising part, but it just made me more confused as to what his angle is. You can't keep claiming its just irony, what, are the audience laughing ironically too? There's nothing he says that I can't go and see right now on Twitter from some guy who has 3 followers and spends all his time moaning about Trans Women in sports.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

All this got me thinking about this tweet again.

https://twitter.com/marcmaron/status/1490364814924812290?t=NKhPXGQULNQ8hdW3jC-wpA&s=19

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

Yea Maron's about as far as I can handle with the comics up their own rear end stuff and that's because at the end of the day he does know the thing has to have a loving punchline. Like, he can jerk off all day about how THE OLD DAYS WERE DIFFERENT MAN and road dogs vs homers or whatever the gently caress. As long as he tells one goddamn joke in it he's still above any given 'message comic'.

Like Bill Burr, he'll have the self-awareness to wonder if he's just being an out of touch rear end in a top hat.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

https://twitter.com/paleofuture/status/1602257153234194432?t=QwRMO61LP8uTPuL7XwRczQ&s=19

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

First 20 minutes of Rock's show is real rough and for me he barely recovers. He hits maximum levels of restating the premise of the bit during the bit this time and comes packed with topics but not with jokes. Did you know you can't joke about anything these days?

The slap stuff is a mixed bag. I get his anger about it of course. I think it's easy to forget that not only did Smith get an ovation later on that night but he was pictured hours later on the dancefloor with his Oscar having a grand time. Now, he's entitled to of course, but it must have been insane for Rock to watch. So naturally he reserves most of his ire for Jada.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Medullah posted:

Any good new specials out on Netflix or YouTube?

Certainly not Chapelle's. More tiresome talk about trans people and being 'cancelled'. Even the people who usually get angry at this sort of thing can't muster up the energy to get angry about it any more. The surest sign that you've lost the juice as a comedian is when you spend half the time talking about famous people that you know.

It's no surprise to see Gervais walk the same ground, though in his case it's like being cornered by that Uncle you used to think was funny but watches too much conservative news so now all his 'bits' are just spiteful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I love Katt Williams. Someone else pointed out the key to some of his lunacy is that he'll say some poo poo that's true and then hit you with an outrageous lie. Like he talks this stuff about Steve Harvey and Bernie Mac and then he's claiming that he read 3,000 books when he was 8 years old. But it's a real sad state of affairs when multiple comedians have hit back at Williams and not one of them has said anything funny.