Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Leon Sumbitches posted:

What's the thread consensus on Kyle Kinane? I'm debating going to see him tonight but just want to know if he's appreciated or sucks.

Not just one of the best stand-ups I've ever seen live, but probably in my all-time Top Five.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Odddzy posted:

Super Dave Einstein, brother of Al Brooks was a writer on the smothers brothers power hour. They fostered a lot of young talent in Hollywood back then apparently.

I was reading about the Smothers Brothers today, and for a couple of square-looking folk singers, their show was really cutting edge counterculture in the late '60s, kind of like SNL before SNL (and back when SNL was actually SNL). Steve Martin also wrote for the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Medullah posted:

Any good new specials out on Netflix or YouTube?

My favorite stand-up comedy specials that came out in 2023:

Joe Pera - Slow and Steady (watch for free at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_97zE4GRZk)

Kyle Kinane - Shocks and Struts (watch for free at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWR4AMqfTNA)

It wasn't a very funny year, but these were great.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Jacqueline Novak's "Get On Your Knees" was recently added to Netflix, and it is one of the most unique, refreshing, clever stand-up specials I've ever seen. Her whole set stuck to one major theme but never dragged, and her energy, delivery, and use of language were so impressive. I was blown away.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife and I enjoyed Kyle Kinane's new special on YouTube, Ramy Youssef's new special on Max (I had never seen his previous special or his Hulu show), and the new special from a comic I had never heard of, Hank Chen, on Prime. Chen actually performs "sit-down" comedy rather than stand-up, since it was shot days after he was in a bad motorcycle accident.

We both adore Tig Notaro, but we agreed her new special on Prime wasn't nearly as good as her others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

John Mulaney has a six episode Netflix talk show and on the first episode he has the most awkward Ray J interview that goes on forever and ever.

His first guest is Seinfeld and he says not a single funny thing.

Ether Frenzy posted:

The monologues are great, that first segment on Los Angeles for outsiders was 100%. The guests are... uneven. I have no idea how Seinfeld was involved with the writing of Seinfeld the TV show.

I hate Seinfeld as a comedian and as a person. He just seems like such a smug, self-satisfied, superior, dismissive douche, and that was really on display on Everybody's In L.A. I can't stand how he comes across in all these articles whining about how "nobody can make jokes anymore" – not that he was ever an edgy or boundary-pushing comic (although he definitely acts like a dick who is above it all). Binging Curb Your Enthusiasm earlier this year convinced me that Jerry was the weakest link of the show Seinfeld. It was great in spite of him, not because of him.

Mulaney's talk show was a crazy high wire act, and my wife and I both loved it. It's rare when you sit down to watch a TV show where literally anything can happen, and it has that element of surprise. Atlanta was like that, and so was the newer season of Twin Peaks, but very little else – and especially not the calculated late night talk shows or SNL. It was so much fun! Not everything worked, but it was refreshing to see them throw poo poo and the wall and see what stuck, just doing things they thought would be funny or interesting.

Some of the greatest joys were the local experts brought in to talk about the big L.A. topic of each episode. Most of them were engaging and more interesting to spend time with than the comedians in town for the comedy festival, who didn't contribute much. The big exception was Mulaney's creepy hypnotist friend with the bad wig and thick spray tan, who took himself way too seriously. But Marcia Clark was a charming and fascinating guest who could probably carry her own talk show, and Cassandra Peterson (Elvira herself, at age 72) was delightful and glamorous. It seemed like Sarah Silverman gave her attitude, probably feeling a bit threatened.

Everybody's In L.A. also had great musical guests: Warren G doing "Regulate," Beck doing "Loser," and Weezer opening and closing one episode with songs from the Blue Album – all 30 years old this year. The Wang Chung theme song was awesome back when the movie To Live and Die in L.A. first came out in 1985, and I never got tired of it before every episode of this show.