Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
after a couple months where it broke 100 almost every day i will eat a bucket of chili on a 68 degree day. no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I got chili meat and suddenly a week of 60s. I do not want to simmer a pot in the 60s!

What? The 60s are a perfect temperature for chili! So are the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 70s, 80s, and 90s.

Nothing is good in the 100s though.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

90s and up I love to eat my chili cold

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

pandy fackler fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 22, 2024

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I want to not be outside if I'm gonna chili, so 40s or low 50s is top

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Doom Rooster posted:

Nothing is good in the 100s though.

Ice cold beer is excellent when the weather is hot.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

pandy fackler posted:

Like... one of each? I use about six of each so this made me do a double take. Is it in addition to some other chili powder?

Well they're pretty big. Powdered that's like 2 heaping tablespoons. And the cumin. I could increase it but you know, family. Got to keep the chili-ness and batch size somewhat low. I would add chipotle too if I was making it for just myself/others.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Is it true that all chiles basically have some bug eggs in them that will eventually hatch?

Can I vacuum seal and freeze extra whole dried chiles, or do I need to process all of them into paste and freeze that?

Help me I have too many dried chiles because penzys had a sale and I didn't realize how much 8 oz of chile peppers is...

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Rescue Toaster posted:

Is it true that all chiles basically have some bug eggs in them that will eventually hatch?

Can I vacuum seal and freeze extra whole dried chiles, or do I need to process all of them into paste and freeze that?

Help me I have too many dried chiles because penzys had a sale and I didn't realize how much 8 oz of chile peppers is...

i did buy a bag of thai chilis that had weird little beetles in it but it only happened the one time. if you're worried about it you could freeze them long enough to ruin any small passengers days and then store them in the pantry.

i've never actually felt the need to freeze dried peppers so i don't know if it causes issues. anyway dried peppers last forever on the shelf if stored properly.

i would probably process into flakes/powder. lasts forever like whole dried and if there are bugs in it you'll never know.

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 3, 2023

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Rescue Toaster posted:

When I vac seal whole dry chiles I just store them at room temp. I haven't noticed any degradation over roughly six months, I've never tried longer. If you're worried about bugs I guess freezing would be good.

I can put up with some nonsense in chili, but I draw the line at stuff like bell peppers and corn (maybe hominy/pozole is okay, getting into stew category then though) or more than just enough tomato for a little acidity. Even vegetarian chili is better without those.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I store my dried peppers in the freezer, I think they retain the most flavor that way.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Made an amazing chili for the season, after several years of tinkering with the Kenji baseline of Texas chili.

https://www.seriouseats.com/real-texas-chili-con-carne

Changes:

1) better than bouillon beef stock is perfectly fine for this
1.5) you can just microwave the chilis rather than toast them. Hit them for 15 second bursts until fragrant.
2) after you puree your chilies, send them through a fine mesh sieve. Very worth it.
3) after adding the onions, I like to add a 1/2 pound or so of fresh chilies. I use whatever I can find at the grocery. However, bear in mind that that these will disintegrate other than particularly tough skins. So stick to softer skinned chilis or chop firmer ones up more finely.
4) dry brine the beef chuck overnight. It’s only going to improve flavor
5) I like the beef chuck in 1 inch cubes. They cook more quickly and just work better imo.
6) after the beef is tender, I like to saute a pound of chorizo, then make a roux with the masa flour rather than just add it directly. I also add more fresh chilis as well as a couple cans of pinto beans to simmer for another 20 or so minutes. The chili thickens with the roux, and the chorizo and fresh chilis don’t disintegrate.
7) at the very end in addition to the fish sauce and apple cider vinegar I also add brown sugar. There should be some fruity sweetness to the chili. Treat those as your final balancers to taste.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I will insist that making a hearty beef stock at home elevates the whole thing. The collagen alone is adding a ton, let alone the flavor. It's a pita but you can get a huge fuckoff stock pot and freeze it in portions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Bald Stalin posted:

I will insist that making a hearty beef stock at home elevates the whole thing. The collagen alone is adding a ton, let alone the flavor. It's a pita but you can get a huge fuckoff stock pot and freeze it in portions.

That was the only shortcut I took. I normally do make a beef stock. You could cheat and add some gelatin packets to the better than bouillon as well. If making a beef stock specifically for chili, definitely roast some peppers with the stock ingredients for it.