Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Why are people still cooking out everything good about extra virgin olive oil? Use an oil that doesn't turn bitter as soon as it gets hot.

Yes, that is the problem with that recipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

We should ICSA for chili, it's been a while

If there is a chili ICSA, I will have a go :shobon:

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Scientastic posted:

I didn't read past the oil choice.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

A Grand Egg posted:

4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
2 medium ribs celery, chopped
¼ cup tomato paste
2 cups chopped seasonal vegetables
4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 large can diced tomatoes
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 bay leaves
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Freshly ground black pepper
1 table spoon curry powder
1 cup shell pasta
1 can cannellini beans
2 cups baby spinach
2 teaspoons lemon juice

Throw it all in a pot for and hour or two.

does the daycare appreciate your soup recipe?

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
how in the world is there pasta in that recipe. and how in the world is the pasta just added in with the rest of the ingredients. I’m in no way a chili purist but there’s not pasta in chili!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Chili mac is definitely a thing some places. I was surprised when I first ran into it, but I guess was a way to stretch the chili with a cheap starch? My partner who was raised in the Midwest gets nostalgic for it sometimes, so I've had it a few times now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Scientastic posted:

I agree wholeheartedly with this, repeated discourse might reveal further truths.

We must, regrettably, defer to Nietzche when he states "Es sollte nicht erlaubt sein, im Zustande der Verliebtheit einen Entschluss über sein Chili zu fassen und einer heftigen Grille wegen den Charakter seiner Gesellschaft ein für allemal festzusetzen: man sollte die Schwüre der Feinschmecker öffentlich für ungültig erklären und ihnen der Chili verweigern: — undzwar, weil man der Chili unsäglich wichtiger nehmen sollte!"

This initial infatuation with the arguments presented must not blind us to the essential arguments required: without the didactic critique, we are lost. In philosophy, as in science, results are validated by repetition.

As the current reigning chili authority, your request is accepted.

Prepare.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Elizabethan Error posted:

does the daycare appreciate your soup recipe?

this is a better reply than me telling them to :gb2gbs:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ICSA 70: Chili Redux has been posted: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3943010

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Scientastic posted:

It's a big warning sign, tbh

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

nice. I'm gonna make white bean + green chicken chilli just to ruffle some feathers

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

nice. I'm gonna make white bean + green chicken chilli just to ruffle some feathers

That poo poo rules. Just make sure you use poblano/Anaheim/cubanelle peppers. Fresh hatch chilies are a luxury, but if you can get ahold of them, you're golden.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

whos that broooown posted:

That poo poo rules. Just make sure you use poblano/Anaheim/cubanelle peppers. Fresh hatch chilies are a luxury, but if you can get ahold of them, you're golden.

I don't think it counts as green chilli without them. Hatch are my go-to but jalapenos are also required.
If I get a chance to smoke this pork butt then I'm going to throw a couple of fresh poblanos on there to pick up some smoke too.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Lol at hatch being required for green chili when literally every chili starts out green.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I tried this last time and no one made fun of me, maybe you'll have better luck!

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Lol at hatch being required for green chili when literally every chili starts out green.

Plenty of celery and green bell peppers yes

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

von Braun posted:

Plenty of celery and green bell peppers yes

Stupid and not relevant, cool.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

how in the world is there pasta in that recipe. and how in the world is the pasta just added in with the rest of the ingredients. I’m in no way a chili purist but there’s not pasta in chili!

You are right that's the worst part, when you cook it that long it turns to mush so even if you like pasta in minestrone chili it's going to be mush.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Carillon posted:

Chili mac is definitely a thing some places. I was surprised when I first ran into it, but I guess was a way to stretch the chili with a cheap starch?

I fairly commonly do chili over rice, which I assume is the same.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

ulmont posted:

Chilli over rice is a great way to not only stretch your chilli but also revive your terrible leftover refrigerated rice.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Chili on top of almost any starch is going to work well.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah. Chili over a baked potato is a lazy winter lunch for me.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ulmont posted:

I'm not sure why, but this (over plain white rice) is, like, the stereotypical way chili is served in the UK and has been ever since we first heard about it back in the 1950s. Like so

Truly, we are a deviant people.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
LOL @ condemning chili on french fries

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

droll posted:

LOL @ condemning chili on french fries

Chili cheese fries with mustard and onions please.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

toplitzin posted:

Chili cheese fries with mustard and onions please.

:hmmyes:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Make mine a garlic sourdough bread bowl.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Thinking about repping some cincinnati style chili. But copy cat recipes involve just boiling raw ground beef in water. Adjustments need to be made.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
It’s chili season y’all, post more.

https://twitter.com/kwholesaler/status/1322666721027776512?s=21

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
These are loving FIRE with Texas Chili.

oh yeah I made Texas Chili:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Dave's scorpion pepper sauce is delicious and hot gonna figure out how much for my next batch

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

These are loving FIRE with Texas Chili.

oh yeah I made Texas Chili:

Trip report: Just busted out a container of this that I froze and it's still fuckin' fire. Probably even better now.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Made my first chili, came out pretty good but I need to tweak the recipe. I think I used too much peppers when making the paste and then spices, and I need to tweak the type of peppers/powder I add. I used cinnamon and chocolate too.

My father liked it though. It had some mild heat which was good.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Looks great!

I have a chunk of smoked brisket in the freezer just waiting to go into a pot of chili. My new neighborhood has a chili cook-off some time this month, these fuckers have no idea what's coming their way.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

User Error posted:

Looks great!

I have a chunk of smoked brisket in the freezer just waiting to go into a pot of chili. My new neighborhood has a chili cook-off some time this month, these fuckers have no idea what's coming their way.

What kind of beans will you use?

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Not sure yet, I usually do black beans and some kind of red bean, dried.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
(I'm in the Midwest beans are standard and good)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I made some bomb rear end vegan chili with ghost pepper flakes, pressure cooked dehydrated beans w cashew bits and soy chorizo, then added spices, slow cooked it with simple salsa poured over it and chopped peppers. It's drat tasty

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Has anyone experimented with amaro in chili? I am thinking some Cynar or Averna will be delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Ok, so I made this today and both my parents went back for seconds. It seems like it worked better than my first time. I am giving estimated sizes of the powders but to be honest I just eyeballed the thing to our liking so it's probably not exact but gives an idea.

1 to 1.5 lbs of ground chuck/sirloin
2 cans beans, used Bushes hot/spicy kidney beans
6 cloves garlic
1 orange or red bellpepper
1 poblano chili
1 jalapeno chili
2 serrano chili
1 white onion
2 dry ancho chilie
2 dry guajillo chile
2 dry pasilla chilie
2 chipotle in adobo
1 teaspoon arbol chili powder
1.5 teaspoon mexicane chili powder
1.5 teaspoon cayenne powder
1.5 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
1 teaspoon garlic salt powder
1 tablespoon coriander powder
1 tablespoon cumin powder
1.5 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1 piece dark chocolate
Generous sprinkle of Mexican Oregano
1 can diced San Marzano chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoon tomato paste
3/4 packet of beef stock

1. Remove stems and seeds of dry chilis and cut them in half so they are in pieces
2. Cook dry ancho, dry guajillo, dry pasilla for 3 minutes on hot skillet
3. Get boiled water heated in kettle
4. Dump dry chilis and hot water in a blender, just enough water to cover the chilis or a bit more and let sit covered for 10 minutes so chilis soften…can cover with cloth so some steam can escape
5. Blend dry chilis after 10 minutes are up until smooth and in paste form
5.5 Chop onion, red bellpepper, poblano, jalapeno, serrano
6. Use a cast iron crock pot, either ceramic interior or well seasoned and temp on medium to med high
7. Add olive oil to coat bottom of pot
8. Cook beef and add half the salt till meat is browned and liquid is gone to the point the moisture is gone
9. Add onions and garlic and cook until onions are soft and clear looking and meat looks a bit caramelized and garlic is fragrant
10. Add all the chopped peppers and chili and cook until slightly softened, we want some bite
11. Add remaining salt, arbol chili powder, mexicane chili powder, cayenne powder, smoked paprika powder, garlic salt powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, oregano and salt to the pot and cook it for 2-3 minutes
12. Then add the chipotles in adobo and the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, hopefully there is some fond at bottom of pot by this time and meat has some sear
13. Now add beans and chopped tomatoes and give everything a good mix and cook for 1 minute so it's all heated
14. Add the beef stock and cinnamon and stir it all a few times
15. After it comes to a simmer and is bubbling turn heat to low
16. Cook for 3 hours, stirring and mixing every 15 to 30 minutes
17. With 1 hour left, add piece of dark chocolate and mix and set to simmer

Pour into bowl and add cheese and sour cream, have a side of cornbread and drink with a beer

Gatts fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 29, 2021