Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

bewbies posted:

i would like to discuss chili colorado

There's an otherwise unremarkable mexican place here that does it INCREDIBLY well. i'm pretty sure they make the gravy, and then sear some meat real quick and toss it in (as they offer chicken/pork/steak options)

The gravy, I think, is just stock, chilis, and maybe garlic? i always get the steak and i think it is just tri tip or something else lean.

does anyone have any further information on this? it is like the most perfectly simplistic chili i've ever experienced and I'm becoming obsessed with it.

We're Texas Mexicans. My dad makes this with pork steaks. I've made it with chuck steak it's basically the same deal.

Get the biggest pan you have. Heat some vegetable oil up in it. salt/pepper some pork steaks and then coat them in flour and fry em up. Don't cook them all the way, though, just turn them nice and brown. Remove and put on a plate.

Take that same pan and throw 1/4 a container of chili powder in it. Toast it up for a few minutes. If you want to, buy dried chilis and use those but we never do it that way.

(again this is what we use, but 2 tbsp of chili powder should do the trick)

Stir it around while it's on the stove. Then you add 2 cups of water. Stir it all up so there's no more lumps. It will thicken up because of the grease/flour leftover. Add garlic powder and a bit fat pinch of Mexican oregano. Put the pork chops back in, and add more water to cover the meat. Let it cook for...at least 45 minutes (if you do chuck roast, cook the meat by itself for an extra hour or two because it will take longer to get tender before you add the sauce). Salt and pepper to taste.

Optional, but I add 1 yellow onion, cut in half. Slice up a bell pepper and throw that in as well. Small can of stewed tomatoes.

Serve with a pile of flour tortillas. The best ones are where you wipe the rest of the gravy up out of the pan with a tortilla and just eat it.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU