Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I love chili as it's, for me, always an impulse cook and I make it work with whatever I have in my freezer. I've never used a recipe and have never been disappointed in one that I've made. The chili I made previous to the one I'll outline bellow was a result of my freezer dying so I fired up the grill and made about three and a half gallons with whatever meat I had, (too many "good" cuts that do not go well in chili), but it was still drat good.

Best chili I've made thus far I braised about ten pounds of beef and pork (I forget the specific cuts) using dark beer, some sweet red wine, garlic, shallots and leftover celery (don't put it in the chili). Don't forget to brown first and season.

While that was braising I had about a quarter of a bushel of roma tomatoes and chopped as fine as possible, making it a point to not save the liquid, but I didn't go to the effort of deseeding or anything like that. I like tomatoes in my chili, use less if you don't. Also chop whatever chili is available at the farmer's market that isn't a bell or obnoxiously hot. I used Hungarian Hots, large banana/sweet peppers, fresh cayenne, pablanos and jalapenos. Also one to two largish onions. I used about five LBs of various beans, rehydrate them yourself for the best flavor and a less liquid chili. Chili without beans isn't chili, it's a topping.

Throw in a head or two (depending on strength) of garlic with some butter to get the great smells starting. Throw in the onions and peppers to color them a little.

Then toss the beans and tomatoes in, toss in another beer (Russian Imperial Stout in this instance) and start seasoning lightly.

Of course a homemade chili powder is best, [rant]but I did not have any dried chilies on hand and for some reason 200 miles means that chain grocery stores don't sell dried chilies and the mexi-mart was a fourty minute drive.[/rant]

I improvised by throwing in six whole ghost peppers (if you do not cut into the flesh, they add flavor without too much heat, good way to safely get a nice smokey pepper flavor as a dried ghost is too drat hot for most), a can of chipoltes in adobe, dried cayenne, some quickly roasted china pearl (I think?) from the garden and chopped roasted red peppers.

Once the meat is done braising set aside and allow to cool remove the celery. Skim fat and reduce the braise liquid. Throw the liquid in the pot and once the meat cools cube it small and add.

Simmer to blend flavors and finish seasoning to taste and perfection. I'll have to try fish sauce next time, but other than the standard spices, I have to put mustard seed in my chili.

I yielded about four gallons, still have some in the freezer and every time I pull a portion out, it just seems to taste better than the last.

How does whiskey taste in chili? I think I'm going to add a bit in next batch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yehudis Basya posted:

Why is it so wrong to use ground meat in chili? Assuming you use a good braising meat and cook it for hours, wouldn't the meat just shred and not be chili-like when all is said and done?
Ground meat has no texture. I might use ground in combination with a braised or grilled meat, but never alone. A nice hearty bite of a chunk of meat allows it to pronounce itself against whatever starch, tomatoes or other stuff is used.

^^^
I like to add cheddar to thicken if needed, in a bowl though, not the actual chili pot.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

They say second place finishers are more distraught then third. I've only gotten first with oxtail and rib so idk, but I imagine neither second or first used fu king filet.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What's your recipe? I've been meaning to try out oxtail to go with short rib.
IMO it's a pantry dish, so use what you have on hand and purchase what's only necessary, to you. I'd also use canned whole tomatoes over fresh. Garlic, onion, tomato, fresh peppers, beans of whatever sort, a beer or two, hot sauce, stock, rehydrated then blended dried pepper, something from worcester/fishsauce/anchovie/anchoviepaste. Braise/preasurecook the short ribs, preferably smoking some of them to get that flavor first. Be sure they're seasoned well enough that it's something you'd eat by themselves, don't forget some veggies. Sear others or all sans smoke. Separate fat from liquid and put liquid in with everything else, break up meat and put in. Season to taste. With good homemade stock you don't really need anything else.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Chili seems to be the one thing goons will get all defensive about.

Sorry your ambiguous dish's recipe will result in some abomination of cinci chili without cinnamon.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

calorie intake, useful with something as dense as cabonara.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

chili without beans is a topping for tortillas, beans or other poo poo. With beans is good solo.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

89 posted:

I think it tastes really good and fit my macros :colbert:

do a chicken tortilla or something if you must use poultry. Using leg/thy meat would actually be a reason to pressure cook too and likely cheaper. It's good to do a quick boil or boiling pour over of the meat first when cooking in the final container to keep poo poo looking good.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

bewbies posted:

I have a chili cookoff at work soon and I would like to win. I'd call myself a chili enthusiast though not a connoisseur; I make it regularly and have three basic recipes I use.

Recipe #1: generic betty crocker style, ground beef, tomatoes and beans. I usually use a mix of NM and ancho chilis plus a lot of cumin, usually a few fresh peppers as well. Kids and guests love it a lot. I've been making this regularly since I was in college so...15 years or so?

Recipe #2: something very similar to this, a meat-and-chili-only con carne. I love this one; it is my wife's favorite. I usually leave the chunks of chuck fairly large (mouthful size, maybe 1" cubed). Flavors are generally great but it can get greasy quickly (I leave out the bacon and trim the chuck as well as I can, but still gets greasy). Usually use masa as a thickener for the gravy. I've been making this for a long time also.

Recipe #3: Something very similar to this; solid cuts of meat, with tomato, and a huge blend of spices. I just started messing around with this recently; I use fantastic cubed tri tip from a local mexican meat market that cuts it for you into cubes maybe 3/8" (for carne asada applications I assume). I have not yet done it with the apparently magical chimayo chilis; usually use mix of Gebhart, NM and cali for the main powder and then arbol for the heat.

So, I've never entered a chili competition before but I have done quite a few beer and BBQ contests. In both of those disciplines, there is a clear difference between "competition" beer/BBQ and the stuff you make for actual eating/drinking. I'm assuming chili is the same way - you have a spoonful or two to impress the judges, so it is important to get as much flavor as possible into said spoonful. My audience are not chili connoisseurs either, but they are going to be mostly hard old dudes who love their meat and can handle spicy.

So, any suggestions about how I should go about it? My wife insists I should go with the "big chunks of meat", but I'm torn...I love the small tri tip, and it certainly looks more like what people think chili looks like. I'm leaning towards the small cubes plus tomatoes approach, but I feel like I need to ramp up the flavor some. Or, I could maximize the betty crocker approach and try and tap into the "mom's chili" emotions. Any suggestions/thoughts/etc?

You should make what you want to eat.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Elevate the competition then and cook what you want to eat. Just call it spicy so people think they have balls.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

people are finding out when you brown things it tastes like your browned something.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Beans good

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

loving time machines dude.

I'll probably throw in some german giberish beer in my first for the season. way too hot to share though, about as many chilies as tomatoes

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

angerbeet posted:

Why even sear meat before cooking it? It's going to cook in the stew for two hours anyways so it'll probably sear in there.

hi kris

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I got chili meat and suddenly a week of 60s. I do not want to simmer a pot in the 60s!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I want to not be outside if I'm gonna chili, so 40s or low 50s is top