Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

redmercer posted:

a.k.a. the Wendy's Method of chili

Isn't that just the remnants of any hamburgers that they accidentally overcooked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

NightConqueror posted:

I had a kind of epiphany when I realized bell peppers had no place in the chili. When I substituted them for a variety of different chili peppers, the flavor was so much better. Bell peppers really don't add anything except for texture and water.

Thank god, somebody else realizes this. Looking up a dozen different chili recipes and besides the usual (beans, chuck steak) 8 out of 12 would have bell peppers. I want to know who decided to keep this abomination alive in the culinary world.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

fuckpot posted:

How long does chili usually last when stored in the fridge? The good ol' smell test would be adequate enough to test if it's safe for eating wouldn't it?

A week but chili is something you can stick in the freezer and reheat without much difficulty or taste loss too.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I managed to find some nice looking fresh poblano peppers the other day. I'm not sure as to whether I should put them in my chili or stuff them and use them as an appetizer. Anybody have any experience using fresh poblanos in their chili?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

marshalljim posted:

I'd stuff them, especially if they're hard for you to find. They're not going to stand out much against the dried peppers in your chili, but they'll be great stuffed.

By managed to find I mean "finally noticed them on the shelf". My local market only carries 4 peppers for whatever reason: a giant heap of jalopeno, a slightly smaller heap of poblano, an even smaller heap of habanero, and a bunch of small bags of dried ghost pepper. I can only feel sorry for whoever picks up the ghost peppers since the bags aren't labelled as it being super hot.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

marshalljim posted:

I'd stuff them, especially if they're hard for you to find. They're not going to stand out much against the dried peppers in your chili, but they'll be great stuffed.

I combined the two and stuffed the peppers with the chili I made. It was glorious.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
That label on liquid smoke that says Shake Well is not a suggestion. It'll separate out into disgustingness. I know this from experience.:smith:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I'm not exactly sure what the poblanos would be doing in there besides adding some volume, their taste is going to get absolutely lost against all those other, stronger chilis. Otherwise it looks like a pretty rad recipe.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

mindphlux posted:

do this

or you know, just buy another can since they're like .69 cents

Where do you live that you can get them that cheap? I have a hard time finding them for two bucks as it is.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Just make sure you cook kidney beans thoroughly if you're doing them from dry beans since you can get kidney bean poisoning otherwise. It's more a problem for slow cooker recipes.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

Walmart carries several varieties that may or may not be shoved in the "ethnic" aisle and in comically huge containers. I don't think Aldi does but the overpriced local for the sake of being local chain around here carries a wider variety in smaller packages

Aldi has started to carry them, they're pretty expensive for what amounts to something like a 3 oz dried chili package. YMMV because every Aldi's has weird inventory selection and purchasing.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

If you live near the 'hood', check a Sav A Lot store. They have a whole refrigerator section of random pig parts. "Poor people like they pork."

Bravo supermarkets also have a bunch of random pig parts for sale though they're mainly in the south.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 4, 2015

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

reality_groove posted:

I got a crock pot slow cooker for Christmas. Are there any adjustments I need to make to stove top recipes to make them suitable? Presumably using less liquid?

If you're using beans in your recipe make sure to use canned kidney beans instead of dry. Primarily because most slow cookers will not reach the temperature where the poison inherent in kidney beans is cooked out if you use dry. Not doing that will cause hellacious diarrhea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

EagerSleeper posted:

Is there any legitimate taste/quality difference by cooking microwave-defrosted beef like this (1:37 for before, skip to 3:48 for after defrost)
and by having the meat thaw in the fridge/sink?

It's going to be more 'well done' as you're sloughing off cooked portions of the exterior and dumping them into a pot so you can continue cooking the frozen interior portions.