Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terraplane
Aug 16, 2007

And when I mash down on your little starter, then your spark plug will give me fire.
I finally tried smoking the meat before cooking. In the past I've always just seared it on a skillet, dragging out the charcoal and smoker seemed like so much extra trouble and how much difference can it really make?

It makes all of the difference. Oh my God. It was amazing and I'll never go back.

wormil posted:

Outstanding.

Question, when I roast dried chilies, should they be charred?

I've charred them once. My house filled with something akin to OC spray and I had to go outside for a while. Now I just roast them until they're nice and toasty. If there's a flavor difference between that and charred it's not huge and, at least to me, certainly not worth pepper spraying the entire house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terraplane
Aug 16, 2007

And when I mash down on your little starter, then your spark plug will give me fire.

Jose posted:

How does your meat look before smoking it? I'm assuming you're not smoking cubes of beef but when I make chili it tends to just be kind of long strips that I suppose look like steak. No reason I can't smoke this its just reasonably thin and I'm curious

I used chuck roast and cut it into thick strips, after it was done smoking I cut it into bite sized bits and cooked it like I normally would.

Terraplane
Aug 16, 2007

Ra-amun posted:

Does anyone have the recipe from the OP of the last chili thread? I have all the ingredients written down but I never saved the directions.

Here you go.

dunkman posted:

So without further ado, dunkman's chili recipe (stolen directly from Bluesnews 10 years ago):

5 or so pounds of beef, your choice. I got some pre-cut stew sirloin, since I didn't want to cut it up myself, but really anything works. You can even do ground beef if you really, really want to.
6 cups of Beef Stock
1/2 cup Olive Oil
12 minced up cloves of Garlic
Most of a bottle of beer
2 shots of Tequila
2 shots of Blackstrap molasses
Half a pound of Jalapenos
Optional: Habaneros, anywhere from 2-6 oz depending on how ridiculously spicy you want

Spices:
1 tbsp Oregano
1 tsp Cayenne
2 tbsp cumin
1/3 - 1/2 cup of chili powders, I mix Ancho, Chipotle, New Mexico, Santa Fe, and whatever else they have at the store until I get about the right amount.
1/2 Cup of White Flour.

Once you have that, let's get started:

Gotta make your miz.

I, like most people, am a man. And Men like beef. Regular Beef Broth isn't terribly beefy, so to enhance the beef flavor, use beef brother instead of water and try to make super beef broth using marrow bones and herbs and spices and maybe a few pieces of beef.

Slice up those peppers, you can do them big or small, they'll reduce away anyways.

While that's going, don't crowd your pot, and brown your beef, thrown in your tequila towards the end.

Once it is browned, go ahead and add in the garlic, and then the Flour and Chili Powders (add these all to a small bowl and mix them up), and beer and molasses and everything else. Constantly stirring.

Dump in your peppers! (note: this picture is about half of the peppers total) and keep stirring.

And add in your broth, constantly stirring. It should look something like this.

Let it simmer for a few (like 5-6) hours and it should look something like this. I stirred about every half hour to get the sticky bits off the bottom.

I serve mine over Rice with some Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese. It's delicious.

Terraplane
Aug 16, 2007

Potential BFF posted:

Does anyone have the OP recipe from the last chili thread on hand?

I posted it a bit upthread for somebody else, here's a link.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3451852&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post401502041