Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
This might get some hate but I usually make chili with one of those cheap "15 Bean Soup" bags. Lots of cheap healthy protein and fiber as well as some real variety. Sausage or ground pork for the meat.
http://www.hurstbeans.com/products/1/15-bean-soup

Getting them soft and fully cooked is kinda of a pain and can lead to overcooking the actual chili. This last time I boiled the poo poo out of them separately in highly salted water and rinsed them thoroughly in the strainer. Because of this I barely needed to salt the actual chili and great flavor all around. Unfortunately one of those small chipotle/adobo cans is still too spicy for my wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

The Lord Bude posted:

Well I'm not sure he's making that either. I don't recall soups containing seasoning packets featuring:

Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Maltodextrin, salt, artificial flavorings (including artificial smoke flavor), silicone dioxide (added less than 2% as an anti-caking agent)

Unless this is being left out and placed in the kitchen bin where it belongs.

Ha no this time I threw that away. Although I used 1 packet of Goya Foods Ham Flavor Concentrate I picked up, which seemed like a superior version of the same thing, it's also a flavorful way to add salt. The can of Coca-Cola in addition to the usual beer is a great call, from Iron Leg's recipe on Page 1. Next time I may seek out some Hominy or Masa.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Got some sun dried tomatoes on hand. Are they worth adding to chili? Figure it couldn't hurt, they would hehydrate nicely with the chili liquid.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Used some Goya brand Yellow Hominy in my latest chili. They ended up slightly chewy in the final result which I hadn't expected, nice textural contrast. If you don't have a problem with corn products in your chili give it a shot.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
My wife made corn bread to go with my chili (short rib, ground beef, hominy corn, tomatoes, small amount of pinto beans are the main specs). But it's actually pretty bad adding it right to the bowl, it soaks the little bit of chili liquid and turns it into an unappetizing bread-chili paste with an odd sweetness. Fail.

I will probably just eat them separate.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Gotta finish with acid for the brightness. I do fresh squeezed lemon juice and malt vinegar or cider vinegar.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I always use equal parts pasilla, ancho, and guajillo to tribute the mild portion of my chili powder. Should I mix it up? I've never done an in-depth breakdown, just figured variety is good.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
This was my most recent batch. It's intentionally mild, my toddler actually ate some. Served with cheese, sour cream, Fritos scoops, hot sauce for me. I'm not a health nut or vegetarian I just like tofu. I used to use tomato paste too but I think it's better without. I like a lot of umami boosters but not Marmite like Kenji's I feel like there are tastier options.

Firm tofu drained, fine cubed
Package ground pork
Onion
Garlic
Dried Yellow Hominy Corn presoaked
1 can Diced Tomato
1 can chili Pinto beans
Can coca cola
1 lager beer (used Tsingtao)
1 ancho pepper
1 pasilla pepper
1 new mexico pepper
Liquid Smoke
Cumin
Black Pepper
Tiny piece cinnamon
Homemade chicken stock concentrate
Fish sauce
Miso paste
Chicken, pork, beef bouillon

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

von Braun posted:

Do you fry the tofu before putting it in the stew or just throw in the cubes?

I dry saute/fry the meat, onions, garlic, tofu first. It was probably not enough to give it any true color though. It may have been worth it to brown it some in retrospect.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I always use one ancho, one pasilla, one guajillo for a regular size pot. It's mild enough for my family to eat. I get them at the asian grocery store that has a latin section too. Where I live there a lot of Salvadorians around though. I don't rehydrate and blend, I just grind. Just remove a bit of the core where the stem connects.

Haven't made any in forever. Guess I should soon. Probably will use 1:1 ground meat:smoked pulled pork I already made. Hominy corn is also a signature ingredient in mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

pandy fackler posted:

Like... one of each? I use about six of each so this made me do a double take. Is it in addition to some other chili powder?

Well they're pretty big. Powdered that's like 2 heaping tablespoons. And the cumin. I could increase it but you know, family. Got to keep the chili-ness and batch size somewhat low. I would add chipotle too if I was making it for just myself/others.