Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Ditch the ground meat, use the stew meat. Get your hands on the dried chiles and make your own chili powder by heating them up and blitzing them in your blender. Brown the meat (do not crowd the pan/pot). Cook the onions, garlic, and bell peppers to your liking. Use the cumin you've got. Add all this into a pot with a combination of beef broth and tomato stuff in whatever amounts you feel like (could be 100% of one or the other) to cover the whole thing. Stir it all up, cover it, and let it cook for a long loving time.

Congratulations. You have made chili. Take it from there and make it your own in whatever way you feel like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

My key rule for chili advice is really just garbage in garbage out. Use good ingredients or your chili will not be good. It really is as simple as that. If your chili powder tastes like sawdust, so will your chili. It's a stew, and all stews are basically the same in that they taste like whatever you put in it, and once it is in, there's no taking it out.

Mindphlux goes farther than most when it comes to the meat, but I would bet you any amount of money it shows in the final product. I sometimes use a bigass pork shoulder in my chili and, surprise surprise, it comes out looking like pulled pork barbeque. If your chili is destined for hot dogs, ground meat is probably preferable. It all depends on what you want. The only thing that is really absolutely required is that it tastes like chile peppers.

The bottom line is you probably know what chili is supposed to taste like. All that matters after that is finding the ingredients that make it taste like you imagine it to taste. Every recipe for chili that you ever see is just an example, and your chili should be your own. It's not rocket science.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yehudis Basya posted:

Why is it so wrong to use ground meat in chili? Assuming you use a good braising meat and cook it for hours, wouldn't the meat just shred and not be chili-like when all is said and done?

That is a loaded question and clearly you just think that shredded meat is not chili-like. I refer you to my pork shoulder chili. The problem with ground meat is that it already has the connective tissue all mangled, so if you do cook it a very long time, all you've got left is meat sand. Because of that, you have to cook it less. This is fine if you aren't planning to cook your meat for 6+ hours.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Jose posted:

What beer do people recommend? I used guinness last time because its what I normally use in beef stew and really like it but I'm open to suggestion

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

djnkro posted:

As far as cooking with beer goes. Don't ever cook with something you would not drink

I don't like this quote at all because I wouldn't drink rauchbier straight up but it adds a nice flavor to meat. I also wouldn't drink apple cider vinegar, but I'd cook with it. There are tons of things I would cook with but would never eat or drink straight up.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Jose posted:

So due to restrictions I don't have any fresh chili's for what I'm making on saturday. I have chili powder made from Ancho/Guajillo/De Arbol/Chipotle. Will rehydrating them and blending them change the taste at all or add anything that just making them into chili powder wouldn't?

Yeah you would have little strips of dried chili in there that are all chewy. Don't worry about having big chunks of chiles in there man, if you cook it long enough all the fresh chiles you would have are going to disintegrate.

If you can still have canned chiles, those are fine. Not the same, but I'm not even all that opposed to using a small can of Rotel. Use some chipotles in adobo if you can (not a lot until you know what you're in for).

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Darth Goku Jr posted:

Really? Rauchbiers make a nice rich drink on their own. I mean give me only one or two a month but still. They truly are great for any slow cooked meat though.

.and I think he meant only, you know, fully formed beverages meant for consumption, as opposed to cooking wine or using the cheapest swill possible you wouldn't ever drink.

If that's what he meant, that's cool and all, but that suggestion has really become a quotable that has gotten a lot of people I have talked to taking it the other way.

Also I knew about the existence of the chipotle ale and never though to use it in chili, so now I'm having a :doh:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've been wondering if I should try and make chili using pork ribs, is this just a crazy idea? There's a store here that sells some nice (already cooked, made then and there) ribs, been thinking what if I just chuck this in, with bones and all?

Chili aspic

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Heres Hank posted:

Thank god we haven't seen any of it in this thread yet, but I'm baffled how many people I know make their chili with Tabasco sauce. If you want your chili to be hotter, the staple of the dish is chili peppers. Just add more, and bam! You get that heat without all of the gross sour vinegar taste.

IMO you should be just using a shitload of chiles

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

SYFY HYPHY posted:

Yo, yo poo poo probably ain't chilil. Stop being terrible and asking about it.

Here's some real advice: half the point of simmering a chili is to mellow out the alcohol. Sous vide'ing the chili means that the beer has nowhere to go and is pretty much terrible. However, the meat was the best texture ever. If you're going to sv a chili, cook the meat sv, and the sauce of the stovetop.

Thanks for this, btw what is your favorite temperature for a chili? I like about like 55

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

SYFY HYPHY posted:

After a bit of googling and a while of avoiding the thread because I thought I had posted something completely incoherent, ya 55C. I've since done the same chili with everything except the beer in the SVS, then picked out the meat, added the beer to the sauce, and simmered to taste. The texture is so much better for cubed beef, but I will still always add a ground pork for some different textures goin on.

Chili deconstructed

For real though I have been thinking of cooking my chili ingredients separately for a long time, the goal being a chili that's combined at the end and has different flavors throughout. Make the meat taste like meat and the sauce taste like chiles, and you could have roasted red pepper chunks in there with the meat or something like that.

No beans though

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

barbudo posted:

The issue with that, in my opinion, is that the "sauce" derives liquid both from peppers, any other sauces or vegetables you might add, as well as juices from the meat. But it sounds interested.

So are you saying you just want meat and sauce? Cause now I'm just thinking about making chili sauce and putting it on various meats. If I put it in a tortilla it would be like having an enchilada any time I want

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

SYFY HYPHY posted:

Easy peasy just empty the meat juice from the sv bag into the sauce and make sure you get the delicious fond mallards from when you sear the meat. Or get some bones and simmer them in the sauce.

Post/av combo makes me wanna put that sauce on a burger. drat

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Pleads posted:

Does pork tenderloin fall into the realm of acceptable to cube for chili? I've had one in my freezer for a while that does not look like it will be used otherwise, so I figured I would throw it into the big pot of chili I am making this week.

But it seems like an odd meat after the usual talk of ground beef and stewing cubes and whatnot. Pork shoulder I guess is at least from the same animal.

IT'S MEAT, AIN'T IT

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

wormil posted:

I'm skeptical of lean meats in chili. Earlier someone recommended round and I fear it would just dry up and become tough unless you add it near the end and that seems to defeat the purpose. Likewise, turkey gets a bad texture if you stew it for too long.

You also don't want a huge oil slick on top of your chili, which is what happens if you use a big loving slab of chuck.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

wormil posted:

You realize that the "stew meat" you recommended earlier will contain a large amount of chuck off-cuts. I've made chili from chuck dozens of times and never had an "oil slick" so you're doing something very wrong.

Have you ever made it with a big untrimmed slab of chuck? Chuck just comes with a lot of fat if you buy a big piece of it, or if you get it ground. If you trim the fat away you might as well call it fairly lean. This is also the case if you brown it enough that the fat renders away during browning before you put it in the stew pot. I don't see a meaningful difference in fat content between cubing an already lean piece of beef and cutting away the fat from a piece of beef that isn't so marbled you can't trim the fat away, when you're stewing it for 8 hours. No amount of not being lean is going to save your meat from that. It's going to fall apart. If you are cooking your chili for a short enough amount of time that the leanness of your meat really matters, I question your technique.

I'll see about trying your advice out though. Next time I make chili I'll be sure to thread my beef with lardons to prevent it from getting an unwanted texture. I'm sure it'll make a real difference in the texture of the final product.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'd hate to see what you think blackened means

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

wormil posted:

A little off-topic but I made chili-rice tonight. Started by sauteing about 1/4 onion in lard, added about 1/3 cup leftover cooked hamburger (that had jalapeno, garlic and onion mixed in), one cascabel and three arbol ground chilies, a sprinkle of turmeric, one cup rice and two cups beef stock. Outstanding.

I will do this

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Terraplane posted:

I finally tried smoking the meat before cooking. In the past I've always just seared it on a skillet, dragging out the charcoal and smoker seemed like so much extra trouble and how much difference can it really make?

It makes all of the difference. Oh my God. It was amazing and I'll never go back.

Flavor in, flavor out

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I've made the argument before that chili is little more than enchilada sauce with meat in it. You can at least aim for that.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Ground beef chili is hot dog chili. Not saying that's a terrible thing, cause chili dogs are great when you're drunk or something, but it's bad enough.

Also if you're stewing it why bother with a higher fat grind?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

bunnielab posted:

A line has to be drawn somewhere.

Oddly enough I am snobbish as hell but have been having intense cravings for ground meat and kidney bean chili for weeks now and I think this weekend is the time to break down and make it. I will still refuse the sacrilege that is tomatoes and use the last of the chili powder I made but other then that I am going to take a picture of the back of a spice packet and go from there.

Just think hot dog chili.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah, turns out if you take one step in the right direction you don't need to take steps 2 or 3. I mean who cares, right? It's good enough.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Every time I look at this thread I get this awful pain right in my kitchen like there is a hole where a food mill is supposed to be.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm seeing lots of beef, how do you guys feel about pork and a pork stock? Beef anything is hella expensive over here, pork is much more reasonable.

I've made chili using pork shoulder, it came out with the like pulled pork bbq except with chili sauce instead of bbq sauce. Perfectly acceptable.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Chili is the dougie of foods

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Chili is a living recipe

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Well you see mushrooms add an umami element

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

There is good canned chili you make it your goddamn self and save it until you want it

Now you ahve me wanting to make chili rillettes

edit: and thats not even a good idea

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 26, 2012

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE COLLAGEN

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

when using chipotle in adobo sauce, do you normally drain them and discard the sauce or do you throw the sauce in too?

Taste the sauce and you tell me if you want it in there

Seriously chili is like the finger painting of stews, do you like it? Put it in. Keep swirling ingredients around until it's a color you like. In my case it's drat near purple from all the dried peppers

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

In my opinion the sauce is delicious, but depending on what brand you buy, it could be sort of spicy or be careful with it spicy. If I'm dealing with San Marcos brand, I'll chop up 2 or 3 peppers and add a tiny bit of sauce to a gallon or so of chili. If I'm dealing with La Costena, I mulch the entire can and put it in.

Now of course it's delicious, but ultimately you should be tasting it and seeing if its something you want to use. It keeps pretty well too, so if you like the idea of having a hot sauce to put on things, you could do worse than leftover adobo sauce. Use your judgment.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Ok, so I've whipped up a batch of chili for tomorrow, but it's lacking in the taste department.
The cube steak dissolves in your mouth, it's got a ton of heat, but it's almost bland.

Here's what's in so far:
  • 2 lbs cube steak
  • 2 lbs tomatoes
  • 3 onions
  • Pepper assortment (habeneros, green, red, jalapenos, serrano, anaheim, chiles)
  • 2 ground dried anchos
  • 32 oz beef broth
  • 12 oz Imperial stout
  • Liberal amounts of cumin and black pepper

I'm thinking... throw in another beer, triple up on the cumin, add some garlic... thoughts?

Pretty much everything you have in terms of chiles has a decent amount of heat. If it was me, what I'd do is grab some large, low-heat chiles like guajillos and make some chili powder out of them to add to the batch. I might also add something sweet like chocolate or even brown sugar or molasses, to help tone down the heat a little bit.

And of course, are you using salt? If you forgot the salt, that would actually be the first place to go.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Before I knew what the gently caress I was doing I once used thai chili powder because hey chili powder is chili powder right?

Nope

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I have had this plan for a long time to use a food mill to make a chile sauce sort of how you would make a tomato sauce. Rather than just put chunks of chiles in and dried chili powder, I would make a complete sauce to braise the meat in that would still thicken over time until what I had was chile-flavored meat chunks with a sauce almost glazed over it. I just have not gotten around to buying a food mill ugh.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Hell yes I have always wanted a use for sambal oelek

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'm a shockingly uncreative cook when it comes to new ingredients. I'm fine thinking of new ways to use ingredients I already know, but I basically stare at a jar of that stuff and am clueless. Same thing for any new vegetable or fruit or whatever. Probably gonna be a quantum leap in my cooking ability when I get over it.

edit: Could probably truncate at shockingly uncreative cook to be honest

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 8, 2012

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Very awesome chilicheese

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Kasan posted:

But I come bearing chili :saddowns:.

In seriousness, its not bad. Needs more beef and less most everything else, but still good. I made some beef heart chili a month back and forgot to take pictures of it.

Your chili shows its weakness in your lack of gumption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Bob A Feet posted:

I've eaten bean/tomato chili all my life and this past weekend I decided to shed my chains and I tried iron legs recipe on the first page.

My problems. I didnt have any corn meal (bought some today for round two this weekend). Should I be relying on that as the thickener? his recipe was a lot of liquid and came out like...beef soup. Delicious beef soup. What else can I do to thicken it? my cooking method was crock pot for 6 hours on low. That leads me to the next question-- if it thickens up, will that give it a different consistency? because after spooning it into a bowl to eat it was more like slow cooked beef chunks with chunks of pepper. Not that that bothers me.

Help a chili noob out.

You can rely on a thickener to thicken it, or you can rely on time and evaporation. The latter is preferable usually. More time will turn the chunks of pepper into a mash, which you know I don't know if you like that kind of thing or not. Personally I've been known to take a potato masher to my chili.