Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
For fucks sake yes you can use any meat you feel like. Chili con carne, not chili con beef. I'm not going to say chili made with pork shoulder is not chili. What the gently caress

I'd just say with poultry watch out that you don't dry the meat out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I participated in my fiancee's company chili cookoff today. It had one judge and a can of Stagg chili won. Mine was the first to run out. loving sham of an event I tell you.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Found out today that my chili was 2nd place for people's choice by 1 vote. The people's choice winner tasted strongly of cloves. What the hell people.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

The best thickener in my kitchen is time

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I think there's more than enough leeway to have a chili that doesn't use spicy peppers, man.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Although beer is a regular addition to my chili, the only one I ever used that had a significant impact was a rauchbier. It was a very good addition. I may have been able to achieve the same effect with liquid smoke, but I really dislike that stuff from my experience. It wasn't a cheap way to put that flavor in though, the rauchbier I got was like 5 bucks a pint.

How much do you guys end up spending per serving on chili? Mine tends to come out pretty god drat expensive for what it is honestly. Like 5 bucks a quart at least. I need to start using shittier cuts of meat and not using beer I think.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

bunnielab posted:

Then why bother naming things at all? Why not just call it all "food" and be done with it?

The ontological chili argument. Are you loving serious? Tell me, what are the correct pizza toppings?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah, the problem is that your stick blender doesn't have enough power. My suggestion is to build your own out of a vitamix. That way you can stick blend all the avocado you want

aoh aoh aoh

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Ground meat chili is hot dog chili.

gently caress using ground meat in chili, seriously. If your defense of ground meat in chili is "you don't cook it as long" you've clearly missed the entire loving point. Sure, you do have to reduce it less if you use less liquid. I'll be sure to take your advice next time I'm making demiglace. Less water = richer stock, right?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

cornface posted:

The reason for not cooking it longer is because turning your cubed meat into mush is terrible, especially when the only reason you are doing it is to reduce the ridiculous amount of unnecessary stock and beer that you've filled the pot with. It is like ribs. Tender, but with a little bite to it.

Also it's kind of funny that you frown at "hot dog" chili while advocating using a potato masher on it.

Perhaps you could post some of your chili because I'm having a hard time envisioning it aside from your description of it as "enchilada sauce with meat."

Yeah you know what I was doing? Showing you how loving stupid it is to say what someone else likes is just bad

As far as what My Chili is like sorry, I don't have archive access, if you want that you can look in the last chili thread or I guess wait until I make chili again

For real though hot dog chili does have its place like I've said before

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

bunnielab posted:

A small amount of loose chorizo is never wrong.

When is chorizo ever wrong I mean really

Honestly I'm against just straight up ground beef because it's just such a boring thing. Now, I could see an argument that chorizo is cheating because it's already flavored by someone else ( unless you made your own ), but you know I figure I already use someone else's beer, and I could stand to taste an andouille chili. That should would be great on rice. I think I'll make some micro batches of that next time I have some real free cookin' time.

Need to make time for that next time I'm not working some ridic overtime

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Crazyeyes posted:

What's the general consensus on pasta in chili? I know someone who will mix in a lb our so if died pasta I'm the last half hour or so of cooking. It's pretty darn tasty, but no longer "chili" in my book. Helps with the high-liquid issue some non-reducers run into, however.

I believe the chili variant involving macaroni is known as "chili mac"

I personally don't like it because I think chili should be like a spoonful of pure flavor and I think pasta kind of dilutes that

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I like to put cans of chipotlobo in the blender and then have a super awesome sauce for whenever and it never goes bad

Honestly it's better than most hot sauces

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

sfwarlock posted:

I just had a great idea in the shower.

Dessert chili.

Picture this: Jellybeans, chocolate chunks, candied fruit, all in a chili-pepper infused dark chocolate sauce, topped with white chocolate shavings and whipped cream.

No meat? ugh. Just a spicy jellybean stew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The amount of "stuff" in beer that isn't water is so low that I'm not sure adding a single beer to a 5 pound batch of chili is noticeably affecting the flavor.

Depends on the beer