Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008
Thank god we haven't seen any of it in this thread yet, but I'm baffled how many people I know make their chili with Tabasco sauce. If you want your chili to be hotter, the staple of the dish is chili peppers. Just add more, and bam! You get that heat without all of the gross sour vinegar taste.

Really, using Tabasco to make chili is like using ketchup to make marinara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008
"Complex smoky flavor"? You can add a splash of bourbon for that exact same effect, which gives you plenty of smokiness with a sweeter flavor and the acidity you're looking for, without putting even a trace of sour vinegary flavoring into it. Tabasco is just red pepper, water, salt, and vinegar. There's nothing in there that you can't do better with real ingredients.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

So I made a chili with my father today. It was my first time doing it.

We used ground beef and canned diced tomato, with spice and store-bought chili powder (I know...). Basically we browned the meat, drained the fat, put back in the pot with tomato and spice and beef broth, then I added one chipotle and we cooked it for about an hour. Then we added masa flour and later we added kidney beans and a green pepper. Also my dad thought it needed sweetness so he poured in some pear nectar.

It tasted good but I think the flavor wasn't that strong. I added some raw onion, grated cheddar, and sour cream when I ate it.

For next time, what can I do better? So far I'm thinking making the chili powder, getting pre-cut sirloin beef instead of ground? I also don't think the tomato added anything and I might drop it. I have to be careful with the chiles because my family has a very low spicyness tolerance. Also my mother has diverticulitis so I also have to be careful that she doesn't get any of the bell peppers. But aside from that, I guess I haven't really seen the True Power of Chili because it couldn't have cooked for more than 2 hours. Based on this thread I should add beer or coffee (why those?) at some point before letting it cook for a long time. I don't have a cast-iron pot or crockpot, though, does that matter a lot? And will it thicken at all or just be a 8-hour stew where I dump some flour in at the end or something? The alchemy of the long cook is not clear to me. Also when does everything go in the pot? I'm guessing it's something like brown meat + spices and chili powder + onions/other things you want to be in there for a long time, then let it cook for a while, then add a thickening agent, then the bell peppers a lil before taking it off the stove?

I'm thinking about trying a chicken one, with black beans and corn instead of kidney beans and some rice, although I don't know when the rice goes in, especially if it's like a boxed dry rice. Help me understand chili :S

-Don't use ground meat. I usually go with a mix of cubed beef and pork shoulder. If you're going to use pork, make sure it's butt or shoulder. Loin gets tough and gross if you simmer it as long as chili needs to simmer.

-If you're going to include tomato, ditch the cans and slice up some fresh tomato. They're cheap, you have no excuse.

-Black beans are a good idea. My favorite bean. If you get dry beans, pre-soak them over night after a good rinse.

-Never heard of using pear nectar as a sweetener before. Sounds okay to me, but if it tasted weird, you might try honey, molasses, or agave nectar. I'll usually do one of those.

-You don't need flour or any other thickener. Just simmer it with the lid off and it'll thicken down (NOTE: If you're doing 8 hours, you may want to wait until the second half before taking the lid off).

-I don't use coffee, so I'll leave that to someone else, but the beer just stews in some good flavor, plus the acidity of the alcohol tenderizes the meat a bit.

-You really should try simmering it for at least 8 hours. I do mine for 24, but from what I've seen in this chili thread and the last, nobody else does and it may not even make a huge difference. The slow cooking is important because it softens the vegetables, reduces the chiles, tenderizes the meat, and blends and develops the flavor. The slow cook time is really really essential, and I'm sure other goons will show up to explain more about why. It's easiest to do it with a crock pot or with a cast iron pot in the oven, but stovetop works too if you keep it on low heat and baby it by stirring up the bottom every 20 mins or so to keep it from sticking.

-The rice goes in after the chili is ready. Rice is not part of the dish. Rice is a side you serve the chili on. Cook it separately. If you mix it in, the rice will tend to absorb all liquid in the leftovers when you try to freeze or refrigerate them, making your reheated leftovers dry and gummy.

-The proper order is: sear meat (doesn't have to be cooked all the way through, and ideally is not), mix in spices, add liquid ingredients, then add your chile peppers (and any other vegetables you mean to include).

And above all else,

-Chile peppers. They are the namesake of the dish, do not skimp on them. De-seed them if you must to wimp them down, use only jalapenos or similar weak peppers, but don't skimp on them. That's flavor, and it's the most important part of the dish. For five pounds of meat, I'll use over a pound of peppers. You must not skimp on the peppers. Bell peppers do not count, those are not chiles. Only include Bell Peppers if you like the taste or want to add something nutritionally or are feeding a lot of people and need to bulk up the volume of your end product. If you are feeding someone who is allergic to bell peppers or otherwise can't eat them, don't use them. If you have family who cannot eat peppers in general, do not feed them chili.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008
Did my chili yesterday/today.

Ingredients:

3.5 lbs mixed cubed stew beef and pork shoulder
2 lbs assorted chiles
1 Bell Pepper (sorry my wife likes it)
3 Tomatoes
2 Onions
6 cloves Garlic
1 shot Honey
1 shot Tequila
1 bottle microbrew
2 cans Tomato Sauce
2 cups dried black beans, soaked overnight before starting
1/4 cup Flour
5 Tbsp Chili Powder
1/2 Tbsp Oregano
1 Tbsp Cumin

Get your ingredients together.

Peppers. Lots of peppers.

Cut the peppers.

Cut everything else.

Sear the meat, then dump everything in a crock pot. First meat, then spices, then liquids, then produce.

Simmer that poo poo for a fuckin' day. You heard me. 24 hours.

Eat it. I had mine on rice with a sharp white cheddar and chopped cilantro.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

branedotorg posted:

Especially an INTERNATIONAL society.

I don't get it. Chili is not an international dish. I don't give a gently caress what Canadians tell me about how to make tacos or what a Japanese dude says about making spaghetti.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008
I've never worked with liquid smoke before. Sounds gross. The rest of it seems just fine though.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008
Yeah, pretty much the only way I let anyone tell me how to make my chili is adjusting how spicy it is. I'll go one habanero to seven habaneros, but the rest of the recipe is mine and I'm not going to worry about someone's cumin issues or wanting carrots in it or something stupid like that. They all eat it and they all love it (though some of them add sour creme which I don't like but that's just fine).

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008
I do not cut down the spiciness in my chili. If other people can't suck it up and take it, I get to eat more.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Scientastic posted:

You must have a lot of friends.

Accommodating your guests is pretty much the first rule of being a good host, so cooking for people and not trying to make sure they enjoy what you cook isn't something to be proud of.

Who says I cook it for them? Is cooking for yourself some kind of evil thing that is the new beans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Well, you did, when you said:

When I cook for other people, I try to accommodate them, even if I don't share their tastes. I have an image of you having friends round, watching them sweat and feel miserable because they aren't quite so used to spicy food, smugly saying "hot enough for you?".

Yeah, no, that was a miscommunication. I was referring to being used to room mates who would eat my leftovers unless I made them so only I could eat them. When I cook FOR other people who can't handle spice, I don't make chili.