Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Zedlic posted:

Today I'm making chili.

This looks phenomenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

What can you do to make it come out less tomatoey? Other than hurt use less tomato.

Is this a trick question?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Just use [img][/img] tags and this link: http://i.imgur.com/Hd92El.jpg

Kenning fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 17, 2012

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Welcome to the side of light and righteousness.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Heh.

edit: But seriously the only non-spice non-broth/beer ingredients in my chili are chili peppers, meat, and garlic. I feel like people add onions and mushrooms and tomatoes and stuff because they don't really commit to their chili peppers. They're afraid of the heat. You should not be afraid of the heat. Use so many peppers.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 11, 2012

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Moritas are the loving poo poo.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Kickshaw posted:

None of us is actually vegetarian, I just have major texture issues that limit what meats I can eat so I usually make vegetarian chili if it's just me. But for all three of us I have to use chicken breast, since it's the only chili-friendly meat that doesn't gag me and my dad won't eat vegetarian meals.

Braising the chicken is a pretty good idea, and definitely workable. I always make chili in the morning so it sits all day, and it'd be easy to braise a few breasts just before serving. Thanks for the advice.

What are your texture issues.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah that chili looks boss as gently caress.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Death Pits of Crap posted:

Just try buying and soaking the beans yourself dude. Also you already are cutting up tomatoes, sub more fresh ones for the cans of tomato product in saline solution. Nothing is really worth paying for the "convenience," except maybe those huge bags of factory-separated garlic.

Canned tomatoes are great. They're certainly preferable to the unripe and flavorless fresh tomatoes you get 9 months out of the year. Fresh tomatoes should be understood to be a strictly seasonal food. Canned tomatoes are generally picked at the peak of ripeness, and shipped a very short distance to a canning facility, so in fact they have much better tomato flavor and are much closer to the ideal of a tomato than anything you can get between September and May.

He's not paying for convenience, you're paying for lovely "fresh" tomatoes.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Also acid. Try adding the juice of a lime or two to your chili to undo the bland factor.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Where do you live that there are no dried chilis? I live in California, do you want me to send you chilis? I did it for Dane a year or two ago, since he lives in the blighted northern wastes.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

femcastra posted:

Help, I'm looking for the beans and rice recipe that I think was posted in this thread, it includes pickled pork...I think?

I just bought a whole bunch of pork and I want to make this recipe very much.

I posted this recipe recently in some thread somewhere, perhaps that's the one you're thinking of?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I would eat the gently caress out of that chili goddamn.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Anyone have a favorite convenient way to freeze/store chili? Would like to bring portions of it to work to reheat in the microwave.

Line a mug or a jar with an appropriately-sized Ziploc freezer bag, and portion it that way. You can easily just defrost/heat one portion for work or whatever.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That's a solid chili recipe and looks great. Good job! I'd probably use more chilis, but that's me.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Spicy chili is why God made beer.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

signalnoise posted:

I participated in my fiancee's company chili cookoff today. It had one judge and a can of Stagg chili won. Mine was the first to run out. loving sham of an event I tell you.

Hahahah that's a farce.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

How do you get it to reduce in a crockpot? One would think that the covered pot would keep most of the moisture in.

I put too much liquid in my crock pot chili a couple days ago and I ended up having to transfer it to a stovetop pot to reduce for an hour or so. That plus some masa harina tossed in did the trick. Masa is amazing for thickening up a stubborn chili.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah see, I would use 5-6 of those in an entire batch of chili (say, 5 pounds of meat), along with a few lesser peppers. I wouldn't just chop one up and add it to a single serving hahah.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

My hands dry out and crack easily due to some lovely eczema or something and the last time I chopped up a bunch of chiles without gloves on the juice soaked into the cracks and it was seriously one of the worst nights I've ever spent. I tried every folk remedy in the book – soap, milk, whiskey, vinegar, olive oil – but nothing got rid of the burning for more than a few seconds. Falling asleep for the evening when your hand feels like it's resting on a bed of coals is pretty difficult.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Dick on a bed of coals :(

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Heart is muscle. There's no organ flavor. Heart just needs to be trimmed and cleaned well because it's got lots of chambers and stuff so it's got silverskin and other connective tissue and all that to hold it all together, but otherwise it's just muscle.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It will be substantially more awesome. The thing with chipotles in adobo is that the peppers themselves have decent heat, but the adobo is super spicy. Depending on how many chilis you use in the rest of your chili, I'd toss in anywhere between 4 and 7 chipotles. You can chop them up, but they'll probably dissolve for the most part anyway. Use the adobo to up your heat if necessary.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Honestly, I could probably make an entire chili using only Red Fresnos and Serranos if I had enough chili powder/chipotles in adobo to dope it with. I'm pretty sure that dried chilis have the most chili-friendly flavor, so I'd always lean toward adding more of those for heat. It just does wonders for the complexity.

Speaking of, I made a paste of anchos, guajillos, New Mexicos, and arbols for the last chili I made by just soaking them in hot water and then food processing them with a bit of the soaking water. Any ideas on good applications for the leftovers?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That sounds really good, thanks.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

You're talking about those random bagged chilis you can find at stores? Is there any special way to prepare them for use in a chili??

I finally picked up a can of chiptole adobos based on seeing it on every page here. I'm excited enough that I might make chili again even though I am just finishing my batch ahah

Oh man you've gotta get on that dried chili game. There's crazy flavor to be had for cheap. You can start by making your own chili powder.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

No, trust me. That night when I chopped a pile of chili peppers with my cracked, dry hands, I learned that all the folk tricks are just loving bullshit. I washed my hands with every non-toxic fluid in my house and nothing worked. Wear the gloves.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

If I'm adding garlic, which I don't always do, I don't go overboard. For my last batch, which used just over 5 pounds of meat, I used like 8 or 9 cloves.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Arguing about what is chili is half the fun of a chili thread.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

There's nothing like a good-sized dab of for-real Texas-style chili in a baked potato. That poo poo has so much flavor you can pretty much just use it as a condiment.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The seeds don't add heat – the white ribs they're attached to do. You remove seeds if you want to improve the texture, or to avoid the (minor) bitterness they can sometimes add. When it comes to chili I don't bother. Gravity has, uh, other ideas.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, I like good Texas chili as a fairly homogenous meatpile, rather than cubes-of-meat-in-spicy-sauce. But then, I tend to use it as almost a condiment, putting it on toast or in a baked potato or whatever.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've got a pot of chili going right now. One thing I've been doing lately is charring my poblanos on the stove (I use a stainless steel pan – I wish I had a comal so I could do it straight abuelita style) before chopping them and tossing them in. I'm hoping to get a good smokey flavor in this batch – I also deglazed my browing pan, which was super caked with char, and made up a chipotle-heavy chili powder

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Electric range, otherwise I would. I bought like 6 extra so I could make rajas and just snack on them all day.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I can't imagine cooking with it, that sounds weird as hell. Especially in chili. It's nowhere near sour enough to be subbed in for lime.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

How much meat was that? That sounds like no chiles at all.. When I make chili with 5-6 pounds of meat I usually use 5-6 habaneros, 8 or so serranos, a fistful of Red Fresnos, and 6 or more mild varieties, like poblanos or Anaheims. I'll also use 2-5 good tablespoons of homemade chile powder.

If you want it spicier you should add more chiles.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That's a nice looking chili recipe. Doesn't look very spicy though :raise:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Well lamb loves chili peppers, and it's got a strong enough flavor that I doubt you could totally cover it up that easily. I'd go for it, goat/lamb chili sounds great.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah I'm with bunnielab on this one.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The main reason to make chili powder is so you have chili powder sitting around. It's a nice seasoning! But if you just want it for a batch of chili the paste will do the trick, since that's essentially what the chili powder turns into once it gets into the pot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Butch Cassidy posted:

I'm bummed that the local candy store owned by a chile head was sold and no longer sells dried peppers. The lady had a bunch of them at decent prices and the sad selection I can find in my county are mostly marked up way too high. :smith:

But, luckily, my mother-in-law sent me a giant sack of milder peppers that make decent base that I can doctor up with other chilis I find reasonably priced. But it is running low. Any decent webstores with bulk dried chilis worth ordering? Or should I nag my wife's mother to send me another jumbo sack she can just buy cheaper than dirt on the side of the road?

Where do you live? I could potentially ship you chili peppers and it might still end up being cost-effective cause where I'm from in California the things are dirt cheap. I sent a big box of chilis to Dane and Happy Hat a couple years ago.