Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cluricaun
Jul 31, 2009

Bang.
I've got a nice batch of chili waiting for me at home that I made last night in the slow cooker while I slept. This allows a more precise timing for me as I never know when I get to leave work and this batch went into the big crock that doesn't have a timer on it. It also gives everything all day to mingle and allows for easier fat level controls.

The biggest improvement here is that I have repurposed my never used coffee grinder into a spice grinder and so I was able to buy a shitload of cumin seeds for a buck at the local grocer and use fresh ground cumin instead of powdered dirt. The difference was immediately noticeable throughout the process and I'm damned exited about it.

I started with a 3lb eye of round roast that I cubed, salted, and dusted with paprika so the fat could do it's thing with the paprika and then I lamely grilled the cubes on my grill pan just enough to get a nice char on them and tossed these in the crock.

I then added.......

1 can chipotles in adobo that got stick blended so there's no whole chipotle surprise later on

1 giant can of whole peeled San Marzano tomatoes, I think 500 or 800 grams (I don't speak metric well)

Three cloves of garlic, smashed

A diced jalapeno

A diced medium yellow onion

A diced ancient pepper, which are these giant gnarly looking peppers that sell at the local grocer, but aren't hot at all, they're like red bell peppers from hell

Red pepper flakes to my satisfaction

Fresh cumin to my satisfaction (note: do not take a giant sniff out of your fresh ground cumin because you're excited about your newly repurposed toy, you will sneeze a lot and your mouth tastes like you've been put in a headlock by a Chicago cab driver)

A dash of liquid smoke,

A pinch on cinnamon

1 can of generic store brand chili beans because I don't really care about beans

Enough PBR that I didn't think the liquid content was out of control, around half a can. I didn't have any fancy beer on hand, but I drink it and I think it works fine in chili too. I always add it last so that I don't add too much.

I put that on low for 8 hours while I slept and then tossed in a good shake of masa flour this morning to get things nice and smooth. I stirred everyting up and unplugged the pot and lifted out the crock, went and got ready and then popped that bad boy in the fridge after it had cooled on the counter. All I need to do when I get home is throw the crock back in the pot on high to reheat and make jalapeno cheddar corn bread and it's going to be glorious dinner time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU