Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish
I don't know if this particular recipe was posted in the last thread, but it's something I've been making for quite some time and I absolutely love it. I got it from a poster by the name of Slake over at Elitist Jerks. It's a 3-meat texas-style chili, super hearty and delicious. I make a big pot probably once a month during the winter for warmth and sustenance. (terrible phone photo warning:)

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 pounds sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1/2 pound ground beef
  • 12 ounces chorizo sausage, casing removed, cut into 1/2 cubes
  • 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
  • 1/4 cup chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon garlic salt
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 2 (14.5 oz) cans beef broth
  • 2 (14.5 oz) cans whole tomatoes, drained
  • 1/2 (12 oz) can Coca-Cola
  • 1/2 (12 oz) can beer (your choice here, doesn't have a huge impact what you use, just make sure it's not too lovely)
  • 1 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 2-4 green jalapenos, slit lengthwise 3 times each (alternately, 1 habanero and 1 jalapeno)
  • 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
  • Salt and pepper, to taste

Some notes:
  1. You can tailor the meat to your budget. I always get nice sirloins cut up at my butcher, but any old stew meat will work (round, etc). I prefer spicy pork chorizo (again, my butcher makes it) because the chicken stuff doesn't taste right to me. I often substitute ground buffalo for ground beef if I can find it.
  2. You can tailor the recipe to your :effort: level. You can make your own chili powder for instance. Or make your own beef stock.
  3. The Coca Cola is there for sugar and a bit of acidity, but I often omit it and just use a whole beer. I usually make it with a brown ale, something Newcastle-y. Up to your tastes. I wouldn't use a stout personally, but a porter might be interesting.
  4. This is a very mild recipe. I usually use 2 habaneros (seeded, diced) and 3-4 jalapenos (sliced). I like my chili hot.
  5. I usually add 2 cans of red beans loosely drained. Begin beans/no beans debate :supaburn:

Directions:
  • Place oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Brown the sirloin in
    batches. Remove to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
  • Add ground beef, chorizo and onions to the pot and brown. Make sure to break up the meat.

• Return sirloin to the pot and stir in remaining ingredients, except for garnishes.

• Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer for 3-5 hours (longer is better). Stir occasionally, breaking up tomatoes.

• Before serving, discard cinnamon stick and bay leaves (and habanero if you didn't dice them, don't want someone biting into that!). Garnish with cheese and sour cream, if desired.

I don't have a finished picture, but I'll try and remember to grab some the next time I make a batch. It does reduce and thicken up quite a bit, and to be honest, I think it's best the next day after it's been in the fridge. This is enough to feed a single dude like myself for like a week straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

AquaticIguana posted:

I made Iron Leg's chili today. Having never made chili before, it came out delicious. At 4ish hours it had reduced substantially and had thickened up nicely. I ended up using round steak but it falls apart pretty easily regardless. Spaten Optimator for the beer.

@KJ&AR@ posted:

I made a chili based off Iron Leg's recipe, with some tweaks, and it came out great. I bought a 5lb round roast of beef, gave it a rub down, let it sit, then seared the poo poo out of it's sides in a near-molten cast iron pan. Then I dropped it in my slow cooker with some sausage, a can of chipotles, 2 habaneros and a bottle of Sierra Nevada, along with the usual spices and ingredients Iron Leg recommended.

I let it cook on low for 12 hours overnight; when it was done, the roast fell to pieces and was absurdly tender. I never wanted chili for breakfast so bad. It was spicy as poo poo too, which pleased me.

Glad you guys enjoyed it! :sun: I've made it in the slow cooker before, but it ended up being more kitchen mess that way. Since I want to brown the meat anyway, I figure just use the pot (also allows you to deglaze and get some sauce back). I'm assuming you went without the beef stock since the roast was so big? Seems like you'd end up with a poo poo load of delicious fat/juices in there.

fuckpot posted:

Is this what you meant by cut lengthwise? I wouldn't mind doing it with some habenero but they are hard to find. I live in Australia.

*snip*

The chorizos, ground beef and onion. It was a pain removing the skin from the chorizo I don't think I did it properly.

Yeah, that's basically what I meant. Really it doesn't matter how you slice/dice the peppers. Slice them big if you want the flavor but want to actually avoid chomping on a potentially hot pepper, or dice them small if heat and chompy-ness is of no concern. The easy way to take the casing off sausage is to slice the casing down the center, length-wise, then sort of peel it off like a banana.

You guys have now reminded me that it's been more than a month since my last pot of chili. Must fix this! :science:

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

LorrdErnie posted:

Gonna try Iron Leg's Chili recipe with venison substituted for the sirloin steak and homemade chili powder! I'm really excited about my first real chili and will probably post pictures later.

Oh also, I accidentally burnt the cumin a bit in my chili powder, which I think actually gave it a really good smokey flavor, but we'll see how it turns out. :v:

I realized looking back at that post that all the pictures have died for whatever reason. I'll have to take some new ones next time I make a batch.