Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
All this talk about not making chili with ground beef is just wrong. Is some cubed brisket/chuck better? Maybe. Is ground chuck bad? Hell no. :colbert:

This is how I make my chili, and it's fairly popular at work and home:

5lb ground chuck
32oz petite diced tomatoes
6oz tomato paste
~10 roasted, partially seeded poblanos, small dice
3T minced garlic
2 medium yellow onions, small dice
36oz Shiner Bock
Chili Powder(whatever blend you like) to taste
S&P to taste

I do this in a 12qt stock pot.

Brown chuck, drain. Retain 2T fat in pan for onions. Sweat Onions, add garlic, cook until aromatic. Add tomato paste, form carpet on bottom of pan. Add Shiner and stir, reduce by half. Add petite tomatoes, poblanos and beef. Add in your chili powder and S&P. Mix well and allow to simmer for ~30min to an hour.

I don't personally do cumin in my chili, it should just be meat, chiles, tomatoes, and onions imo.

This is a variation of the chili recipe I was using at 24 Diner. Big differences are small diced brisket and chuck insread of ground, Fireman's #4 instead of Shiner, and 1hr of stew time as opposed to 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

bunnielab posted:

I disagree. If you add enough to taste them than your chili will be too tomatoey, if you add less then why bother at all as they add nothing flavor wise that will come through.

I don't even get this. You either taste tomato, or you don't? That isn't how it works at all. Not to mention, tomatoes don't make your chili thin.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

You can just reduce it, and concentrate the flavor, use tomato paste, maybe reconstitute some sundrieds. Chili doesn't have to be meat and chiles.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

bunnielab posted:

Yes it does, by the very definition of the dish.

Just going to go with "no, you're wrong." and move on. It does not have to be meat and chiles. You can put whatever the hell you want into your chili, and call it chili, as long as the base for the dish is chiles.

There is no "one true chili." Should I leave out garlic and onions? They're not peppers or meat. Back before refrigeration, chili was formed into dry blocks of meat and peppers that would be boiled to eat. I should obviously go back to that.

No, dishes evolve. Accept it, and move forward.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 16, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

bunnielab posted:

Then why bother naming things at all? Why not just call it all "food" and be done with it?

I'd rather just call all chili "chili" and be done with it.

Tomatoes are a huge part of southwestern food, of course chili should have tomatoes in it. But since chili was a frontier food, you didn't often find tomatoes on hand, so you went with safe preserving methods and were stuck with just peppers and meat. Just because food lacked variety way back then doesn't mean it has to now. You should not artificially limit chili to two ingredients. Instead change the definition to a stew with a base of dried chiles, or chili powder, and traditionally beef.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 16, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

bunnielab posted:

Yea, for real.

Also the bean acceptance is limited to the weaker mince beef chili where texture in needed to prevent it from slipping into becoming a chili sauce.

chili sauce isn't even like chili because it doesn't have meat and what are you even trying to argue.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

bunnielab posted:

No, like the stuff you put on chili dogs.

But I put thick chili on chili dogs, what you're describing is canned chili, like Hormel, or Wolf, or Skyline.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I made just a bit of chili today.

(with tomatoes!)

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

I am afraid to ask what the yellow chunks are.

Garlic/onions, phone takes lovely pics under our fluorescent lighting.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

render bacon, remove bacon, sear beef, remove beef, lightly caramelize onions and peppers, add garlic, deglaze, reduce 1/2, add meats back, add chili powder. I'd skip the sugar peronally. Simmer for hours.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

why would you blend guac, just fold it with a spoon/fork. Hummus is a no-go in any blender, because of the thickness, and tomato sauce should have been fine.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Just simmer your beans in salted water for 2 hours. I don't even see why you would bother cooking them any other way. Then fry onions and whatever hot pepper you like in lard until they're charred, add to your black beans, and purée. Just add some of that to your chili to thicken instead of whole beans IMO.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

bunnielab posted:

Just incase you want to eat some of them by themselves.

In this case, make sure it's something with a bone. Ham hock, leftover ribs, etc.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I make mine with anchos, guajillos, and arbol. Anchos are probably my favorite dried chile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Thaw beforehand? Alternatively, reheat is some simmering water. Can also dump into a sauté pan with some water on low heat.