Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010
WHO VOLUNTARILY GOES DAYS WITHOUT A SHOWER FOR NO REASON? DIS GUY

PLEASE SHOWER YOU GROSS FUCK
Oh man. It's so great to see all you guys again. I've got a thing I'm working on and when I get a decent camera I'll show you guys. I can't wait.

e: for content

Jose posted:

What beer do people recommend? I used guinness last time because its what I normally use in beef stew and really like it but I'm open to suggestion
I like to use a dark, thick, juicy English Porter. I tried an IPA once, because they're fashionable now and everything, but the whole chili just tasted like an IPA. Maybe I was doing something wrong though.

barbudo fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010

Humboldt squid posted:

When I use dry chillies, I cut them into strips with a pair of scissors, then rehydrate them in a deep walled vessel. Then I hit them with immersion blender to make a pepper smoothie. That's really the best way to go about it, I think.
I like to go half and half with my chilies: half fresh, half dried. I toast the dried ones with some cumin seed.

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010

for new year's eve dinner tonight i'm making my usual chili, a recipe that has been kicking back and forth between me and a friend, getting better every time. usually we use chorizo and flank steak, with fresh tomatoes (peeled and de-seeded), garlic, onion, and bell peppers, simmered with a pint of English porter, adobo peppers, a homemade dry chili powder, and a blend of as many fresh hot peppers as our local Mexican grocer has in stock (this blend usually ends up a beautiful bright-green liquid - take one deep sniff of this stuff and your whole upper respiratory system will empty its contents). Anyway my dilemma now is that I want to move away from the flank steak, but I only have about 8 hours to get it done, so I need to get moving. what kind of meat would you guys recommend? How do I incorporate it?

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010

I just cut the flank steak really really fine this time because I couldn't get chuck from my mexican butcher - they have mostly pork - and didn't have time to go to the megamart. It fell apart pretty nicely.

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010

If you have archives the last chili thread had some good ones. Let me know if you don't and I'll dig them up for you.

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010

The issue with that, in my opinion, is that the "sauce" derives liquid both from peppers, any other sauces or vegetables you might add, as well as juices from the meat. But it sounds interested.

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010

I add onion, garlic, bell pepper, and tomato. I should have mentioned that. Still , I think the meat confers an essential liquid. Let me know how your idea goes, though, because that sounds awesome and I've been wrong before.

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010

Yes and yes.

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010

well, you could try reading the thread... really, though, chili is simple but there are a ton of different ways you can go about making it, I don't think anyone in this thread could reasonably give you an absolutely perfect recipe, nor do I think anyone has made the same pot of chili twice.

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010

As a general rule, the finer you dice your peppers the less you will perceive their taste and the more you will just get heat from them. I personally purée mine. But I would recommend using a larger variety than just one or two, so the taste of any individual type of pepper shouldn't be important- look at that beautiful photo a few posts up for reference.

barbudo fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 27, 2012

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

I like to use freshly brewed plunger coffee in my chilli, instead of beer.

I have always used beef for chilli but after reading this thread I am interested in Pork... Is Pork shoulder the preferred cut?

Also, I read that some people add Chorizo... what proportion pork to Chorizo would you reccomend?

Chorizo is great and will go well with anything. If I'm using steak (I have never done pork+chorizo) I will use a 1.5/1 proportion of chorizo to steak. But be warned, if it's fresh (don't bother with it if it's dried or pre-cooked) it's going to give you a lot of liquid. There may not be anything to deglaze using beer/coffee, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. You can and should still add another liquid.

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010

loving chili snobs.

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010

I mean, if you just go beyond spice packets, that step alone makes ground beef and bean chili really palatable and awesome in its own way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010

paraquat posted:

It tells you that, whatever I do, my food is de-li-cious! :-D
okay, I was trying to stick up for you before, but that's loving weird.