Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

QBit posted:

Is the topic of starch pairings with chili as divisive as beans?

I prefer rice as the foundation layer to serve chili on, but that's probably because it's what I'm most used to. Is there a regional breakdown of preferred sides to chili like there are regional trends in other foods?

I've always found cornbread to be the best option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
When I add tomatoes, I grate them. Cut them in half, and use the largest holed side of the cheese grater. You're left with a pile of tomatoes on one side and tomato skin in your hand.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Horse Clocks posted:

Has anybody ever made a pork rib chilli?

Any tips/recipes?

Also, Chipotle embargo? Off to whole foods to stock up on cans of the things.

I've done country style ribs, which made good chili, but I found them to make it pretty greasy, so I trim the fat some before cooking. Never done real ribs though.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Cornbread is my favorite chili starch by far.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

5436 posted:

It was a complex recipe so it'd be hard to pinpoint. I'm not familiar enough with the flavor profile of the chilis to know what to modify. I thought the chili I made was decent, not bad, but not mind blowing. I think I wanted it to have a slightly sweeter profile and a different chili taste. How to quantify that is hard because of how many ingredients go into the chili. I have about a week before I need to cook for like 15-20 people. I am pretty busy though (Thanksgiving/travel) until the day.

By semi-spicy I mean like your typical hot wings at any bar/pub. Not burn your mouth off but also not mild.

I saw a recipe a few pages back that won a chili cook off I might use. I guess I'll go with a mix of pork shoulder and beef stew meat. My gf does want hers to be ground beef so if anyone has recommendations for a recipe that uses ground meat that'd be helpful.

I for the dried chiles, I tend to lean heavily on ancho. They are pretty mild and have a sweet almost raisiny flavor. I always add in a few others, whether it's dried chipotle, pasilla, or guajillo. To up the spice, I usually go chipotles in adobo and fresno chilis or red jalapeno. none of those are particularly spicy chiles, and they wil tend towards a little sweetness. You could up that if you want by browning your onion some more, adding and browning some tomato paste after the onion is done, or even using maltier beer as a cooking liquid. Just a few thoughts.

I personally don't go for ground meat in chili. It's much better with meet chunks. Also cornbread is the one true chili side.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

FaradayCage posted:

I've never included tomatoes in a proper Texas style chili. Possibly because of this thread. What sort of flavor can one expect? Is it kind of like spaghetti meat sauce but with dank chile flavor and heat?

I usually go with light tomato, grating a medium tomato or 2 romas into a pot that'll serve two with some leftovers. At that level it's not nearly as tomato-y as spaghetti or anything. I realized I haven't done it without in ages, so I'm not sure offhand what exactly the difference is. Maybe next time.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

xergm posted:

If I need tomato, I either add some paste to the food processor, as I'm making chili paste, or I add whatever leftover salsa is open in the fridge.

I really hesitate to do this with jarred salsa, but I'll admit to doing it with leftovers from a Mexican restaurant with good fresh salsa.

Ranter posted:

I won.

Well done!

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

chili does not need sugar :bahgawd:

Agreed. Use sweeter peppers like red jalapenos or fresnos or if you go crazy even red bell pepper. You could caramelize the onion a bit after you brown the meat and before adding everything else. You could even caramelize some tomato paste early on. Even "sweet" paprika wouldn't be as out of place as sugar.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Doom Rooster posted:

I prefer the typical fattier cuts, but if dude likes his lean cuts, that's personal preference.

It's a little more work sometimes, but I've taken braising cuts and trimmed the fat the end result less greasy. That's more with things that can get real greasy like boneless county style pork ribs.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Leaving aside the issue of baking spices in chili, that seems like a lot of nutmeg.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

bewbies posted:

So here's a chili challenge.

I'm in the process of moving a couple states away and nearly all of my cooking gear and spice collection including all of my fancy wonderful chili powders are boxed up. I'm alone in my new house for a couple of weeks. I have a small skillet, a medium size pot (with lid) and a grossly overpowered six burner pro gas stove.

What are the bare minimum ingredients necessary to make a decent batch of chili? I'm thinking something like:

Chuck roast and chorizo
Onion
few fresh peppers
Gebharts
Cayenne
Cumin
Oregano

If stripping it to the bare minimum, I wouldn't call Chorizo necessary.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

EDIT: Actually I wouldn’t mind some instructions for toasting dried peppers and cumin seeds too.

For peppers: https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/how-to-clean-and-prepare-dried-chilies-chili-powder-substitute.html. Basically stem, seed, and microwave in short bursts until fragrant and pliable. Cumin, throw in hot pan tossing until fragrant.

Ben Nevis fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 8, 2018

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
The period snuck into the html tag. https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/how-to-clean-and-prepare-dried-chilies-chili-powder-substitute.html

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Edit for your edit: 5 lbs of meat I'd probably add a tsp each of Worcestershire and fish sauce or 2 anchovies. That doesn't seem like nearly enough chilis. I'd probably double that.

I always do fish sauce. I worry about the other flavors in Worcestershire, they're pretty distinct. Does it come out OK?

I kinda want to make a bunch of chili using all different umami sources. Soy sauce, vegemite, miso, gochujang, fish sauce, kombu, parmesan rind... The possibilities are endless!

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I love cornbread and chili. I typically split it and put it at the bottom and pile chili on top. A more savory cornbread is desirable here, I think.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

Personally, I love to just toss a handful of frozen corn, like 1.5-2 diced jalapenos, and half a bag of shredded pepperjack/some other hot cheese into my cornbread before baking. Gives it a bit of kick, bit more moisture, and some texture as well. Depending on a few things, I'll either eat it with the chili or spread some butter on there and drizzle honey over it.

I like making it with cheddar and bacon, and using bacon grease in the skillet rather than butter. That being said, a favorite dessert/treat growing up was cornbread with maple syrup on it, and cheddar bacon doesn't evoke those same memories.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I'd probably do something like a lime wedge with each bowl, apply as needed.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

I made this recipe but added a bottle of Guinness. The chili came out pretty good but was a little thin and SOMETHING was missing. I was thinking about using some gochujang paste for heat and a umami kick next time.

Also for thickening it up, should I use flour / a roux / reduce it more next time?

I usually just cook it for longer or not add as much liquid to start. If it's good and you want it thicker, masa would be traditional, but crumbling in corn tortillas or tortilla chips works fine. Just careful of salt if you use chips.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Ranter posted:

I must be very stupid because I don't understand. The category was 'no beans'. You're saying this makes sense logically if the voters felt that it was in the wrong category? Hm ok.

Say there are two lists. Best Punk Band and Best Band. Now Green Day could potentially appear on both lists. Let's say the best punk band was the Ramones. They just beat the pants off of Green Day. It's still entirely possible that Green Day appears higher on the Best Band list, especially if that's judged by total album sales or weeks at #1 or number of times their songs get played at prom. The suggestion would be that there's a different metric for best overall chili than there is for best no bean chili. Maybe No Beans gets judged (privately and subjectively) on meatiness, overall spice, and thickness while Best Overall is judged (again subjectively and privately) on balance, spice, and texture. There'll be some overlap there, but it doesn't necessarily imply that the best no beans is the best overall.

That being said, it's a strictly philosophical point. I think you're right that it's likely winner fatigue.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The last time I did short rib chili I cut off as much fat as possible and the results were great.

Agree here. I haven't had too much problems with short ribs, but if you use something like country cut boneless pork ribs, you definitely want to trim the fat. I think skimming tends to cut down the spiciness a bit, given the fat solubility of capsaicin.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I usually go fresno or red jalapeno. They have some of the red bell sweetness, but also spice. Then serrano as well because I'm a creature of habit. Green jalapeno I don't often do unless I'm positive whether I'm getting hot ones or the big mild hybrids.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

dy. posted:

I would NEVER suggest putting something like eggplant in chili, everyone knows that's pure blasphemy.

That being said, hypothetically, if a girlfriend were to insist on a more veggie-heavy chili, then it's possible that roasting and cubing eggplant with the skin removed could result in some tasty morsels that inherit the meaty flavor of the chili they are cooked in.

But just to be clear, I would never ever suggest that in this thread and anyone who does should just get the hell right out of here.

Eggplant can get pretty meaty. I think there've been suggestions for rehydrated mushrooms and cashews for vegan chili before.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I actually have that book, but I can't say I've cooked anything from it. I'll take a closer look at it and see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I usually throw cumin into the pan right after I've seared the meat and let it go until fragrant, then proceed with onions, etc. I'm surprised this is controversial.