Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I'm looking for some advice on how to tweak my chili to really make it pop. I like it a lot, don't get me wrong, and I'm not looking to go too deep into the weeds in work and materials because this is a lazy Sunday chili I make for my folks and save some for leftovers during the week. I just...it feels like I can elevate it just a little bit more, push it to a higher level rather than just rest on this being a legitimately good dish.

Cook a roughly diced pretty large sweet onion and like 5-6 cloves of crushed garlic over oil in a large pot until soft, transparent and fragrant, and add a pound of turkey, cook until cooked. Add:
1 can of black beans
1 can of refried pinto beans
15 oz of diced tomatos
1 cup of corn
6 oz tomato paste
1 cup of veggie broth
1 can of hatch peppers
1 package of lime chipotle chicken sausage cut into half moons
1 T chili powder
1 t cumin
.5 t onion powder
.5 t garlic powder
1 T brown sugar
1 t salt
1 T cocoa powder
1 t instant espresso powder

Mix well and simmer on low for a minimum of a half hour. It creates a solid flavorful chili that doesn't need much in the way of toppings but I dunno I feel like it could use something more. I did cinnamon for a bit but it overwhelmed the dish very obviously and reducing its amount didn't do much in the way of bringing much flavor to the mix so I cut out cinnamon; I'm also considering a little honey, a splash of soy sauce, maybe adding mango. Definitely gonna try adding hominy instead of corn though, and also going to try to add canned chipotle in adobo, but any other recommendations based on what I'm working with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Junkie Disease posted:

What's "chili powder"?
I like at least ancho and some ghost in mine lately
McCormick chili powder, just a bog-standard spice and pepper base powder. Ancho's not a bad idea for an additive though, I'll put that on the list of things to try.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I've tried pumpkin before, didn't particularly thrill me or do much for the dish, kind of just a curiosity of a meal. Thanks for the advice so far, definitely going to up the cumin, switch to chicken stock (the original recipe was like "cup of water" and no gently caress that to begin with), try fresh lime juice at the end before serving, cut out the garlic/onion powders (they're already pretty minute additives) and try some chipotle w/adobo and then just let the thing cook longer.

I like cooking chili because I like to move levers and adjust variables when I cook even if it's small tweaks with everything else the same, the leftovers get eaten and it's kind of an ensemble dish that just feels good to put the whole thing together. Also because my mom, bless her, makes bad chili and I just want to be able to make good chili reliably and regularly for my loved ones.

e:

marshalljim posted:

You'd be better off trying out some completely different recipes and seeing what you like about them. There's certainly nothing about the recipe you posted that is worth getting particularly attached to.

Yeah this is a fair point, I've also been meaning to look at chili verde and other differing recipes but I only have so much time in a day to cook and test things.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 5, 2022