Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The amazing grocery store near me has started getting in some different varieties of peppers (ghost peppers, Thai chilies) from their usual assortment (jalapeño, Serrano, banana, poblano, habanero), I assume due to the season. I kind of want to make a chili, but the weather doesn't seem at all right for it. Help me, thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

I’m having some thoughts about changing my recipe, which is basically Kenji Lopez-Alt’s authentic chili con carne with some additions. I’m wanting to emphasize sweetness, peppery fruitiness, spiciness, and beefiness. Thinking about making the simmering liquid out of a chili paste (dried peppers, chipotles, umami bombs, onions and garlic cooked in maple bacon fat, some fresh chilis, spices light on cumin) and homemade beef stock, cutting the chuck into small cubes to have texture but be closer to the ground beef style of chili, and then adding more diced fresh chili’s toward the end for some crunch and color. Any thoughts? It seems like it’ll be closer to a Chile Colorado or carne adovada but for chopped beef.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Handen posted:

I discovered this thread last night and I'm about to make my first chili paste from dried chilis, but I don't want to gently caress it up and make it so hot my ears bleed so I'm seeking advice.

From my selection at hand, what would be an acceptable combination that won't make me want to kill myself?

• New Mexicos (dried)
• Chipotle (dried)
• Chipotle (canned in adobo)
• Habaneros (dried)
• Pasilla (dried)
• Jalapeno (fresh)
• Red bell pepper (fresh)

I'm missing the "small, hot, dry chilis" as per the seriouseats recipe, but I have both the New Mexicos and Pasillas, so I guess what I'm wondering is if habaneros can be swapped into that small/hot/dry slot at the same ratio or whether I should dial it back?

I'll be using Costco stew beef and chorizo sausage for the meat, with white mushrooms, yellow onion, a shallot or two, fresh ground cumin and mustard seed, garlic, bay leaf, and a shitload of beans, if it helps to iron down a more acceptable than non acceptable ratio.

The goal is for this chili to be edible. I've only ever tried this once before and it wasn't, so as long as I can cross that barrier I'll be content.

I think follow the serious eats recipe of New Mexico’s, Pasilla, chipotle in adobo (try some of the sauce by itself, it’s tasty!), and then yeah do the habs. Save the fresh peppers for either a topping in the finished chili or roast the bell peppers before adding with the stock. I’d say leave out the bay leaf. Be careful with the beans, because it’s very likely that they won’t get cooked enough before the beef is done. I think it would be okay to cook them separately in a flavorful broth (maybe use the jalapeños as aromatics? Or maybe that would make an off flavor, i dunno) then add in the last half hour or so of simmering. Make sure to cook the liquid out of those mushrooms until they get actually crispy. They’ll reabsorb the chili liquid but can act like little meaty bits in the chili if you add at the end. Also in my experience the Kenji chili mellows out the spice a bit after sitting overnight.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Without hopefully devolving this into a discussion about "what is chili." Does anyone have any good recipes or guidance for a ground beef and sweet Italian sausage chili?
I need to clear out some freezer space and I don't have shrimp to make gumbo or enough beef to make texas chili.

I’m definitely not a super skilled cook, but:

If the Italian sausage is in links, Brown them up a bit on a couple sides, remove, and cut into coins like 1/2-3/4 inch thick. Brown those up some more on both sides, remove and reserve.

Say gently caress it all and make a separate blonde roux with some fat and some corn flour or masa. Reserve. Why a roux? I dunno. Feels right.

Form your ground beef into a single big patty. Put it in the pan and let it sear until you get a nice brown crust. Sprinkle the top of the patty with your seasonings. Chili powder, cumin, cayenne, garlic or onion powder, etc. flip the patty and let the other side sear a bit but take care not to burn the spices. Break it up, then toss in some diced up veggies. Onions, peppers, crushed garlic, etc. If you wanna add tomato paste add that too and let it darken. Once veggies have softened a bit, toss in your roux, your liquids (chicken/beef broth and beer), crushed tomatoes if you want; and minced up chipotles and adobo sauce if you have them (I consider these pretty essential). You can also add umami bombs like fish sauce or msg or marmite or what have you. I like adding a couple spoonfuls of brown sugar as well.

Let the whole thing simmer for a while. Hour or two. Toss the chunks of sausage back in and simmer for like 20 minutes. I’d recommend in the last 10 minutes or so to add in some diced or sliced fresh peppers too, so they keep some crispness. You can add in canned and drained beans here too if you like. Taste for seasoning and serve over rice to help stretch it, with a fried egg, with corn bread, and more.

This should wind you up with a thick stewy bowl of beefy and spicy chili with some big chunks of sausage as treats.

Ingredients (some optional)
Fresh Veggies: onions, garlic, fresh peppers of any variety, also you can pre chop and freeze peppers if you’re limiting grocery trips
Canned: beans, chipotles in adobo, tomatoes, maybe broth?, tomato paste
Dried: corn flour or masa, lard or other fat for roux, maybe broth?, brown sugar
Seasonings: chili powder (homemade if you can manage), cumin, cayenne, garlic and onion powder, msg
Sauces: fish sauce, marmite, beer

fr0id fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 24, 2020

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Thinking about repping some cincinnati style chili. But copy cat recipes involve just boiling raw ground beef in water. Adjustments need to be made.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Made an amazing chili for the season, after several years of tinkering with the Kenji baseline of Texas chili.

https://www.seriouseats.com/real-texas-chili-con-carne

Changes:

1) better than bouillon beef stock is perfectly fine for this
1.5) you can just microwave the chilis rather than toast them. Hit them for 15 second bursts until fragrant.
2) after you puree your chilies, send them through a fine mesh sieve. Very worth it.
3) after adding the onions, I like to add a 1/2 pound or so of fresh chilies. I use whatever I can find at the grocery. However, bear in mind that that these will disintegrate other than particularly tough skins. So stick to softer skinned chilis or chop firmer ones up more finely.
4) dry brine the beef chuck overnight. It’s only going to improve flavor
5) I like the beef chuck in 1 inch cubes. They cook more quickly and just work better imo.
6) after the beef is tender, I like to saute a pound of chorizo, then make a roux with the masa flour rather than just add it directly. I also add more fresh chilis as well as a couple cans of pinto beans to simmer for another 20 or so minutes. The chili thickens with the roux, and the chorizo and fresh chilis don’t disintegrate.
7) at the very end in addition to the fish sauce and apple cider vinegar I also add brown sugar. There should be some fruity sweetness to the chili. Treat those as your final balancers to taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Bald Stalin posted:

I will insist that making a hearty beef stock at home elevates the whole thing. The collagen alone is adding a ton, let alone the flavor. It's a pita but you can get a huge fuckoff stock pot and freeze it in portions.

That was the only shortcut I took. I normally do make a beef stock. You could cheat and add some gelatin packets to the better than bouillon as well. If making a beef stock specifically for chili, definitely roast some peppers with the stock ingredients for it.