Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

litany of gulps posted:

To exclude beans stinks of tribalism, shunning the "other." Fear of the unknown might be simply ingrained in our hearts.

But this - this is brother against brother. Are bell peppers not capsicum annuum? Does brother turn on brother merely because of a mild sweetness of character? Surely you would not hesitate to put a hot paprika, child of the bell pepper, in your chili?

I wouldn't put red delicious apples in apple pie, is there something wrong with that? Bell peppers have their uses, but green ones are 100% useless for chili, and the standard sweet ones are bland. Hot Italian or Hungarian peppers and heirloom sweet peppers have plenty of flavor but I don't think they taste right in chili - at least they would be better than freaking bell peppers. There are actual Mexican/American chiles that have sweetness and they have the right chile flavors too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Goddamn that looks good, is that posole/maiz mote/whatever in there? I just bought 5 pounds of it dry from NM and holy crap it's so much better than canned, and I love the canned.

Myron Baloney fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 15, 2019

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Pretentious isn’t the right word, maybe upscale works better. Chunks are good, they just take slightly more effort in browning and more time to breakdown, but ground beef can be nice as well.

Yep, make both kinds because they're both good. I decide based on what I have to eat chili with - if it's fritos scoops or macaroni then ground it is, if I have nice corn tortillas then it's time for cubed chuck.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

moleman posted:

My work is doing a chili cook off this month. Does anybody have any "loved by the masses but not pretentious" recipes? I've gotten too fancy in the past with my pot luck offerings.
This pretty basic, I've had vegetable-averse peebabies complain about the poblanos but I feel like something green and vegetal is needed in there, and I love poblanos.

1 lb each ground beef and ground pork, or all beef if you like
4-5 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, chopped
1 big onion, chopped. Don't skimp on the onion.
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 12 oz beers, anything pale to amber in color and malty. I like to cook with dark beers but I don't like anything darker than vienna lager in chili. Substitute weak stock if you don't want to use beer.
1 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 14 oz can pinto beans with jalapeños, 2 cans if you really love beans
ancho chile powder to taste, or blended chile powder (I use half ancho and half guajillo, but ancho is the easiest straight powdered chile to find) if you use pre-blended "chile powder" it'll already have some cumin, oregeno and salt in it.
ground cumin to taste
ground cayenne to taste, or any other hotter powdered chile you like
cocoa powder, 1 tsp for each lb of meat
oregano, mexican preferred but greek is ok, to taste
salt and black pepper to taste
red wine or cider vinegar to taste, optional

Brown off the meat, do it hot and in small batches so it actually browns, get rid of most of the fat and set the meat aside.
Cook the onion, garlic and poblanos until soft in a couple tablespoons of the beef fat
Add the spices and cook over low heat a few minutes, add the beer, tomato, and beans, return the meat to the pot. Simmer for 40-60 minutes, skimming fat off as necessary. Cooking longer is fine but at around 2 hours the meat texture starts to break down. Add a small amount of vinegar to taste shortly before serving, that's my wife's contribution to this recipe and I have to say it's grown on me. Serve with bowls of chopped cilantro, chopped onion, and cubed mild cheese if you like.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

how in the world is there pasta in that recipe. and how in the world is the pasta just added in with the rest of the ingredients. I’m in no way a chili purist but there’s not pasta in chili!

You are right that's the worst part, when you cook it that long it turns to mush so even if you like pasta in minestrone chili it's going to be mush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Rescue Toaster posted:

Is it true that all chiles basically have some bug eggs in them that will eventually hatch?

Can I vacuum seal and freeze extra whole dried chiles, or do I need to process all of them into paste and freeze that?

Help me I have too many dried chiles because penzys had a sale and I didn't realize how much 8 oz of chile peppers is...

When I vac seal whole dry chiles I just store them at room temp. I haven't noticed any degradation over roughly six months, I've never tried longer. If you're worried about bugs I guess freezing would be good.

I can put up with some nonsense in chili, but I draw the line at stuff like bell peppers and corn (maybe hominy/pozole is okay, getting into stew category then though) or more than just enough tomato for a little acidity. Even vegetarian chili is better without those.