Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Tobasco...why not just add it when you serve the chili?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I haven't tried a lot of green chili, but I've made this one a few times and it owned.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1998/06/green-chili.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

wormil posted:

I'm skeptical of lean meats in chili. Earlier someone recommended round and I fear it would just dry up and become tough unless you add it near the end and that seems to defeat the purpose. Likewise, turkey gets a bad texture if you stew it for too long.

It works great, I made steak chili last Sunday with sirloin. I used this as the basis of the recipe but modified things here and there

http://www.theyummylife.com/blog/2011/01/120/Thick+%26+Hearty+Steak+Chili

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bunnielab posted:

Make this instead.

http://www.foodpeoplewant.com/new-mexico-green-chili-with-pork/

Not that recipe maybe but the dish in general is amazing.

This looks pretty good I might integate it into my goto recipe for green chili

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1998/06/green-chili.html?m=1

I have made this a few times and almost won the chili cook off at work with it. The recipe is kind of all over the place but it's delicious.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 4, 2012

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Personally I really like fire roasted fresh peppers (great for flavor but not heat) but toasted and ground dried peppers works well too.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Making iron leg's recipe from page one, smells amazing so far!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

Making iron leg's recipe from page one, smells amazing so far!

This stuff came out so loving awesome! Used one habanero and 2 jalapeños and it needs more heat.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Making iron leg's recipe again, I am pretty sure it will beat the reigning chili cook off champ at work.

Smells awesome so far... I skipped the ground beef and went with 1 lb of ground chorizo, full sail ale, 2 habaneros and 2 jalapeños. I had to skim off a lot of oil, I'm guessing it was from from the chorizo.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I need to make a fresh batch of chili powder--I have dried Arboles, chipoltes and new Mexicos. Anything else I should pick up? What ratio should I use? Thanks!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Soak in cold water bath until the chili loosens and then remove it from the bag.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Those short rib nachos look sooooo good

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Convexed posted:

Going in for my first tomatoeless, beanless chili. Here goes.

(I live in the UK - the waste land of chili. You'd laugh at what goes for chili 'round here. :()

You must become a chili evangelist to your countrymen

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Midniter posted:

This recipe makes my mouth loving water but I've never gotten around to actually making it. Maybe that's what I'll do this weekend.

I've made it and it really is amazing. Thanks for reminding me to make it again :-D

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

gently caress I was hoping I could just put 'em in a blender or something. What are some cheap options for a coffee grinder that will grind peppers? And what's this paste thing?

EDIT: Oh wait, the Food Network link uses a blender. Nevermind.

I've used my vitamix to annihilate dried peppers into powder, but I still had to smash some of the larger bits in a mortar & pestle.

that said, i recommend the paste over powder but sometimes powder is nice to have available.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

neogeo0823 posted:

Why is paste a better option? Powder would theoretically last effectively forever and is slightly faster/easier to make, and wouldn't need to be refrigerated like paste might.

If it lasts forever why aren't we buying chili powder from the grocery store?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

kittenmittons posted:

It is in fact a Cincinnati style chili.

:thejoke:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Fo3 posted:

The beauty of where I live is I don't have to converse with those people.
Beans and tomato is pretty Mexican (which is why we say "con carne" here, to point out it's the Mexican version with beans and tomatoes). Chili with cubed/diced meat is very much tex-mex so I'd give Texas the shout out and do it their way and just say chili, and drop the Mexican connotation.
Wasn't it Boston that was famous in the USA for beans? Didn't the Spanish send all the tomatoes to Europe?

Just kidding about the tomatoes, but I find them as prevalent in euro cooking as Mexican cuisine. Jealous that I can't get any tomatillos around here.

i'm unable to discern trolling from real posts in this thread any more but literally "con carne" means with meat so i'm at a loss right here.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've done it, turned out pretty drat good

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1998/06/green-chili.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
dont pay him any attention.

he's made about 10 similar posts in GWS this morning

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

adorai posted:

octoberfest makes the best chili, so pretty much this is the best time of year to make chili.

chili'd yesterday because its football season and why the hell not?

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/easy-pork-three-bean-chili-food-lab-recipe.html

Sub'd beer in for half of the stock required.

So. Fuckin. Good.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

LorrdErnie posted:

Its not a lot of effort though? Its literally putting them in a dry pan and waiting for them to start smelling good.

Sure but the more peppers you prepare, the easier it is to just microwave them.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
rip butthole

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^ do that and serve it over some rice.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/09/chili-for-chili-burgers-dogs-fries-recipe.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I prefer paste since it's less gritty

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Because I have a vitamix :colbert:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It really depends on the company

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/easy-pork-three-bean-chili-food-lab-recipe.html

I didnt bother with any pics but I made this for like the 10th time for my kid's birthday party and it was well liked

my only recommendation is to cut the orange juice/concentrate. between the raisins and can of tomatoes it's just right level of sweetness. and use your own chili paste or powder.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

Somehow I'm not surprised goons would get huffy even about chili, of all things.

Somehow I'm not surprised goons proudly eat lovely food

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

chili without beans is a topping for tortillas, beans or other poo poo. With beans is good solo.

but both are good over rice

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah try a tbsp of fish sauce near the end

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Homers BBBq posted:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm definitely an amateur so just trying to learn and improve. I'll definitely add salt at the beginning and season as I go. Will also try the fish sauce. Any recommendations for sugar? Should I just add some brown sugar at the beginning? Any recommendation on proportions? Thanks!

Edit: sauce not oil fixed!

chili does not need sugar :bahgawd:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
do you find that those relatively lean cuts aren't overcooked by the end?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you can make mexican chorizo pretty easy since its not cured, just raw meat with seasoning and spices that has to be browned up before you eat it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:captainpop:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

it's not that i didn't believe you, but i prefer to remain firmly rooted in cognitive dissonance on this one.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Do it

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Hell yeah that's some chili

What did you use to make the stock? Bones and shanks?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

redcheval posted:

It is chili season and I am extremely happy about it. Had to order dried peppers online because I struck out hard trying to find them locally, but I made my first chili paste today instead of using store-bought powder! Super pumped to see how this chili turns out, but I did have a question. I've basically been using Iron Leg's recipe from the first page as a loose base, and I don't know how much chili paste you should actually use. I used an arbol, two guajillos and three anchos in my paste and used maybe a quarter of the total resulting paste. Am I supposed to use the whole thing? Is it just to taste?

use all of it, that's not very many peppers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
toast cumin in a nonstick pan on low heat, shaking it often so they dont sit too long. once it smells fragrant you've probably toasted them enough.

for the paste:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/chili-puree-replace-chili-powder-recipe.html