Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm skeptical of lean meats in chili. Earlier someone recommended round and I fear it would just dry up and become tough unless you add it near the end and that seems to defeat the purpose. Likewise, turkey gets a bad texture if you stew it for too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

signalnoise posted:

You also don't want a huge oil slick on top of your chili, which is what happens if you use a big loving slab of chuck.

You realize that the "stew meat" you recommended earlier will contain a large amount of chuck off-cuts. I've made chili from chuck dozens of times and never had an "oil slick" so you're doing something very wrong.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Or trim off the fat and render it down for making rice, avoid the oil slick, keep the flavor.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The grocery had pork 1/2 price today and I bought a shoulder, identified only as "Pork", for $1 something/lb. So tomorrow I'm making pork chili for the first time. Maybe a variation on Michael Symon's pork chili.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Made my chili today (for dinner tomorrow) but I didn't have any fresh chilis. Unfortunately I used the last of my homemade chili powder and was out of arbol so I had to use store bought chili powder. The miscellaneous pork roast I bought turned out to be fatty as hell so I trimmed off most the fat then rendered it down to sear the pork chunks. I used some of the rendered fat to make rice for tonight's dinner (pork chops) and it was delicious.

Post rendered fat + bone.

Searing the pork.

Using up whatever was in the fridge. I drained off the fat before adding veg.

And in the cabinet.

Not shown: I added cayenne, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika & chicken stock

Meat added back in.

Added tomatoes because I made it a bit too spicy for my wife.

Tomorrow's dinner... can't wait.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Hirsute posted:

I just throw a bunch of serranos in instead would that work?

It's chili stew, you can use any kind chilies you want.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The previous chili thread recommended adding flour after browning the meat to absorb the fat and thicken the stew. Maybe not something you want to do in baby food though. I made bean soup for my daughter when she was about 18 months and she ate it like candy. Looked like she had swam in it by the time she was done.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Just finished watching the Ultimate Chili Cook Off and frankly their chili looked disgusting. They all use similar recipes that include tri-tip, tomato paste and a blend of store bought dried spices. I didn't see one person use real garlic, tomato or chilies.

Here are their 'winning' recipes:
http://www.chilicookoff.com/Recipe/Recipe_WCCC_Recipes.asp?Cat=1

One thing I found interesting and I'm wondering if there is a legitimate reason for it... they were all careful to not brown their meat but all that grey meat looked gross.
:barf:.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
They were competing for $25,000, you'd think they would use some real ingredients. Then again, none of the people they focused on even placed but judging by their winning recipes, most of the contestants are doing the same thing.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
A little off-topic but I made chili-rice tonight. Started by sauteing about 1/4 onion in lard, added about 1/3 cup leftover cooked hamburger (that had jalapeno, garlic and onion mixed in), one cascabel and three arbol ground chilies, a sprinkle of turmeric, one cup rice and two cups beef stock. Outstanding.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I would like to see more chili powder recipes. The only one I've made at home was the AB combination with 3 each ancho, cascabel, & arbol base. I can always make it spicier but I'm interested in good flavor combinations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

mindphlux posted:

spicy is not the point of chili powder as far as I'm concerned.

just go to whatever market sells chilies in your area, and buy handfuls of every type. go home and just eat them. like, cut a strip and just gnaw on it for a while - it should give you a good idea of the flavor. find whatever you like, and use it.

This is a good idea. I've only found them by the bag but I guess it won't hurt to experiment. I just wanted to avoid accidentally buying a bunch of similar, very spicy, chilies. I already have a big bag of arbols.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

GrAviTy84 posted:

May I present:
http://www.foodsubs.com/Chiledry.html

Outstanding.

Question, when I roast dried chilies, should they be charred?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

BBQ Dave posted:

Main criticisms I got were thickening with corn starch slurry at the end (year one) and too spicy (year two).

The french toast is new for me. I think your biggest improvement would be grind your own chilies for powder. The difference between homemade and store bought is significant. Also I would switch to beef broth.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Pokeylope posted:

...it can linger for hours, just waiting for you to rub your eyes or pick your nose.

Or use the bathroom. :cry:

Jar salsa tastes like crap. Chopping veggies isn't much work relative to the whole process anyway. Corn, okra (also a thickener), carrots, celery, broccoli stalks, all make good additions. I prefer beef over pork in chili.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
God forbid anyone put venison, pork, onions, tomatoes, chocolate, or anything else in their chili. Sometimes I even use celery, carrots or broccoli stems. I can almost hear the cries of goons passing bricks right now.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

mindphlux posted:

this chili thread has gone to poo poo. it's now officially on my to-do list, I'm making a new one. before the end of the year. proper, full fledged. lots of effort.

Maybe there could be a Constitution so chili conservatives can point to liberal recipes and say, 'That's not what the founders had in mind! :argh:'

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm making chili now, the ingredients I'm sure will cause an uproar.

beef
onions
habanero
ground arbol, ground cumin, salt, pepper
garlic
molasses
coffee flavored tequila
beef broth
liquid smoke
garden tomatoes
bell pepper
okra

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Heres Hank posted:

I've never worked with liquid smoke before. Sounds gross. The rest of it seems just fine though.

Liquid smoke is basically distilled smoke and condensation. Alton Brown did a Good Eats episode on making liquid smoke at home with a couple of stainless bowls. I didn't do that though. Also my chili turned out too spicy for everyone else in the house, oh darn.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Throwdown posted:

Anyone have the recipe for the texas style that was in the first post of last thread? I don't have archives to find it.

I rewrote this to send to someone else and may have reduced the amount of cayenne since my family doesn't like spicy food.

quote:

5 lbs cut beef
6 cups beef stock
1/2 cup olive oil
12 cloves garlic
3/4 bottle of beer (preferably a dark beer)
2 shots of tequila (100% agave, no Cuervo), you can substitute bourbon
2 shots of Backstrap Molasses
1/2 lb jalapenos
1 TB oregano
2 TB Cumin
1 ts cayenne
1/2 cup white flour
1/3 cup homemade chili powder

Brown the beef a little at a time, if you crowd the pot it will just steam and you won't get a nice dark brown color. Add all the beef back to the pot, reduce heat, add the flour and olive oil, cook it out for about 5 minutes. Add tequila, spices, molasses, beer and stock. Simmer for 5-6 hours. The beef will just fall apart when done.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
While at some event at my daughter's school I casually mentioned we should have a chili cook off and the idea caught like wild fire. Within 2 hours a date was set and emails had been sent to the parents. So I'm pretty stoked because I don't imagine there will be much real competition.

And my neighbor just gave me a bunch of dried habenero and cayenne so I need to figure out proportions for a chili powder recipe as I've only made the Alton Brown recipe. (3 ancho, 3 cascabel, 3 arbol) I need to keep the powder relatively mild as my wife and youngest daughter don't like spicy food (but they love the AB chili powder) and I don't want to burn the face off anyone at the chili cook off (really I do, but I shouldn't).

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I don't know any of that, I doubt there is a prize as it's just for fun. But I still want to make a good chili.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Echeveria posted:

How long do you figure an open can of chipotle in adobo is good for in the fridge?

A long time if sealed in Tupperware.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I put the whole can of chipotle and sauce in a blender and puree, then store in a jar.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Echeveria posted:

My can of chipotles has been covered and in the fridge for about a month. Smells fine, no mold, use or go get a new can (I have to go across town to get a new can)?

Use it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Made some chili powder tonight out of what dried chilies I had, so-
1 Ancho
2 Pasilla Negro
1 Guajillo
2 Chipotle
~2 cayenne
~1 habanero

The cayenne and habenero were sliced then dried so estimated the quantity. Until today I've only made the Alton Brown recipe so I'm anxious to try it.

Also, I threw the cayenne and habenero in the skillet with everything else to toast, don't ever, ever, do that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I tried some of that chili powder in soup and it's quite tasty with a little more heat than AB's recipe which what I wanted.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I love corn in chili, and in rice, beef stew, and with lima beans and soybeans.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

C-Euro posted:

Has anyone in this thread played around with making their own chili spice mixes from scratch? I got a mortar & pestle over Christmas and I'm excited to grind some poo poo up in it. I bought some dried ancho chiles and baked a couple of them with some garlic, then ground them all up and the powder is awesome.

The Alton Brown recipe is mild but delicious. Spice it up with hotter peppers if you like but don't try charring habeneros.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

niss posted:

Fixed the above, I char habaneros all the time outside, did jalapenos one time inside for some off reason, and it was like I set off some teargas.

Good point. I will definitely be charring outdoors from now on. When I tried habeneros it was just like a pepper spray bottle exploded. 40 degrees out and all our windows and doors were open, with everyone huddled in the bedroom with towels around our faces.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I used a sirloin awhile back because they were on sale cheap and didn't really like the texture. Anyone one used sirloin?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Bob Morales posted:

1 pack of guajilos
1 pack of anchos
1 pack of californias

Those are all mild chilies but what size is a "pack" in your area? Here a pack could be anywhere from 3 chilies to dozens.

Also I'm going to find a source for beef hearts and oxtails.

As mentioned awhile back, my daughter's school was going to have a chili cookoff but the weather was too cold. I might revive the idea come spring. I suspect it might end up similar to your bar chili cookoff with lots of hamburger chili, or maybe I will be surprised being a private school with a number of ethnicities.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Throwdown posted:

There is a certain recipe that was posted here a while ago, it was a no bean that was done fully in a dutch oven. No tomato's, pretty much all concentrated beef broth, chili's and beef. Been trying to find it again for a while but coming up short. I remember that included black strap molasses and beer.

Sounds like Ironleg's Dunkman's recipe

edit; was thinking of the wrong recipe.

edit2; couldn't find the recipe in archives so here is a very similar version.

5 lbs cut beef
6 cups beef stock
1/2 cup olive oil
12 cloves garlic
3/4 bottle of beer (preferably a dark beer)
2 shots of agave tequila, you can substitute bourbon
2 shots of Backstrap Molasses
1/2 lb jalapenos
1 TB oregano
2 TB Cumin
1 ts cayenne
1/2 cup white flour
1/3 cup homemade chili powder (see recipe below) - go to the trouble of making your own, store bought is so bland compared to this

Brown the beef a little at a time, if you crowd the pot it will just steam and you won't get a nice dark brown color. Add all the beef back to the pot, reduce heat, add the flour and olive oil, cook it out for about 5 minutes. Add tequila, spices, molasses, beer and stock. Simmer for 5-6 hours. The beef will just fall apart when done. I prefer to eat over white rice.

wormil fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 10, 2015

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I use my coffee grinder and then grind 1/2 cup of rice to clean it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I just really love bean soup so why not put them in chili too.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
If only someone in the past had spergged about what is and isn't chili we wouldn't be going through this.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've settled on using porters in chili. Stouts seemed to make it slightly bitter or some other flavor I didn't care for. The ales are okay and a nice sweet ale gives a mild bump in flavor. But porters seem to hit the sweet spot of adding good flavors without making the chili taste weird.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Add some flour when browning the meat, that will solve your grease slick problem.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I need a pressure cooker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Oops, wrong thread

wormil fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 25, 2016