Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Is there any reasonable (trustable?) place to get decent dried chiles mail order? None of my local grocery stores have anything. I think I saw one variety of dried ancho at one place one time, and that's it.

Everyone says dried chili powders won't carry enough flavor (especially if they've been sitting around) and I believe them. Is there anything like a frozen or canned chili paste already that's decent? Sorry if that's sacrilege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Although I normally love Penzeys for everything, the last time we got a chili powder from them was just the 'Regular Chili Powder' and ignoring spicyness, holy hell was it devoid of flavor. Very out of character for them. I figured that was just an example of 'Preground chili powder just isn't very good' or at least not good enough to carry a dish.

But now I'm realizing you are probably talking about the whole chiles they seem to have, which apparently I'm a moron and have never seen on their site before.

Thanks!

I will investigate local options some more too, although I have been told they're not great.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Is it true that all chiles basically have some bug eggs in them that will eventually hatch?

Can I vacuum seal and freeze extra whole dried chiles, or do I need to process all of them into paste and freeze that?

Help me I have too many dried chiles because penzys had a sale and I didn't realize how much 8 oz of chile peppers is...