Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Heres Hank posted:

Thank god we haven't seen any of it in this thread yet, but I'm baffled how many people I know make their chili with Tabasco sauce. If you want your chili to be hotter, the staple of the dish is chili peppers. Just add more, and bam! You get that heat without all of the gross sour vinegar taste.

Really, using Tabasco to make chili is like using ketchup to make marinara.

The point of using Tabasco isn't to get chile pepper flavor, it's to add the complex smokey flavor that Tabasco has from being aged in old bourbon barrels. Personally, I think it's a great addition to a chili made from a variety of dried chilis as well, and far better than adding liquid smoke, which to me is truly disgusting.

Also, what's the issue with acidity? Unless you're using a ton, it should be hard to detect underneath all the tomatoes most recipes call for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

barbudo posted:

for new year's eve dinner tonight i'm making my usual chili, a recipe that has been kicking back and forth between me and a friend, getting better every time. usually we use chorizo and flank steak, with fresh tomatoes (peeled and de-seeded), garlic, onion, and bell peppers, simmered with a pint of English porter, adobo peppers, a homemade dry chili powder, and a blend of as many fresh hot peppers as our local Mexican grocer has in stock (this blend usually ends up a beautiful bright-green liquid - take one deep sniff of this stuff and your whole upper respiratory system will empty its contents). Anyway my dilemma now is that I want to move away from the flank steak, but I only have about 8 hours to get it done, so I need to get moving. what kind of meat would you guys recommend? How do I incorporate it?

This is probably too late, but chuck is the best thing to use. Cut it in 3/4"-1" chunks, cook it a very long time, until it's falling apart.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Pork shoulder would probably be pretty great too, for next time. Same idea as with the chuck.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Pleads posted:

Does pork tenderloin fall into the realm of acceptable to cube for chili? I've had one in my freezer for a while that does not look like it will be used otherwise, so I figured I would throw it into the big pot of chili I am making this week.

But it seems like an odd meat after the usual talk of ground beef and stewing cubes and whatnot. Pork shoulder I guess is at least from the same animal.

I'm no chili expert, but I would probably add it at the very end when your chili is more complete and just cook it until it's done. I've never tried cooking pork tenderloin until it falls apart, but I'm guessing it would just get tough because it's very lean.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Heres Hank posted:

fresh tomatoes > canned

Unless they're in season you're going to get a lot more out of chopping up whole canned imported tomatoes if you put tomatoes in your chili. Just make sure they don't have calcium chloride on the ingredients, as that's the reason some canned tomatoes never break down into a nice sauce.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Are you surprised that your $0.50 meal isn't a delicious and high quality gustatory experience?

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Saint Darwin posted:

One time I made chili and it came out really, really good.

The other times I've made it since then have been varying levels of success, but the common theme is that the drat tomatoes never seem to really break up and disseminate. If I put whole or chopped tomatoes in they basically stay that way, and I'm talking after 8 hours of slow cooker action. I can't get it to be a consistent yet thick sauce at all.

The hell could I be doing wrong? Friday my roommate is having a chili event for his birthday so I'm trying to get this down pat.

edit: What I mean is that it's basically watery with big chucks of tomatoes floating around. Not very appealing that way. I'm not adding water, either.

Check your tomatoes, assuming they're canned, for calcium chloride. It's used to prevent them from falling apart in the can, and continues to work once they are out of the can. Solution: don't use canned tomatoes with calcium chloride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Anchos aren't very spicy but have great flavor. Toast in a pan, soak in hot water, and puree. Even really heat sensitive people (like my mother who claims she doesn't like onions or bell pepper) don't have a problem with it.