Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I made chili today. MY RECIPE has been gradually evolving over the last few years. This was also my first time using a pressure cooker, rather than simmering for 4+ hours on the stovetop. Crossposting from the weed thread :420::

gggiiimmmppp posted:

MEAT! This is like 7 pounds of stew beef and 1.5 of cubed pork sirloin, mixed with a whole bunch of Chili Powder made fresh this morning from Pasilla and New Mexico peppers:

Raw materials. One white and one yellow onion are in the pan; de-seeded peppers in two bowls (I keep the flavor/heat peppers separate and add the hot ones to taste so I don't go too far); garlic in the ninja processor thing in the top right since I'm loving lazy, and bell/pimento peppers in the bowl toward the bottom left:

Cooked the onions, added peppers and garlic after a bit, then deglazed the pan with the obligatory beer, and added the mess to the pot:

Not pictured are some spices, beef stock, and a single big can of tomatoes. I like a little tomato in the broth but for a batch this big 1 big can is a pretty minor constituent. I know it doesn't look terribly appetizing yet, just bear with me ok?

It's pressure cookering now. In the mean time, :350:

I add the bell/pimento peppers toward the end for flavor/texture/color. I historically just cut them up and add them ~20 minutes before it's done but if I go too far the skins separate and float around the chili and are annoying, so this time I tried roasting/peeling them first:

Also 25 minutes wasn't quite enough, so I closed it back up and pressure cooked for another 10. The meat is just about where I'd expect it to be after 4 hours simmering, but oddly the peppers/tomatoes are still very intact when they're typically totally disintegrated by that point (due to the reduced simmering time and lack of stirring I guess). I added a couple of cans of drained kidney beans, simmered a bit, added the roasted peppers, simmered another 5 minutes and FINISHED. Behold, assembled chili:

It is delicious. I'm not gonna plate it for you because I suck at presentation and I'm not eating it yet anyway, so you'll just have to deal.

This might be my first time posting my own food in GWS, so this is the part where I get eviscerated :shobon:. I know the pictures are terrible. The best digital camera in the house is an ipad.

Also I've gotta say, thanks GWS, because without this forum I'd still be using store-bought chili powder. Ever since I started making my own a year or two ago, every other chili just tastes like store-bought chili powder to me. Making it fresh really raises things to a whole new level.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU