Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The scorekeeper is tallying the cook off votes now. Should know if my co-workers have good taste or not in the next 10mins...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I won.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
One fellow competitor had the audacity to complain to people that 'yet another non-traditional chili won again'. Lady, this is more chili than your midwest corn kernel soup.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Why do you have to cook it in a crock pot and why do you only have that much time? They're forcing you to make it at work?

For me, I made it at home then put it in a crock pot to bring in to work that morning.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Still don't understand. What kind of idiots are running this thing that think cooking at home and bringing in a crockpot would result in not enough food? That's some weird loving logic.

Is no beer/wine in cooked food a normal thing in the American workplace? We have Whiskey Wednesdays at 4pm and on Fridays we have a company all-hands with wine. This is abnormal?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Your sarcasm was obvious even for text on a website. Don't worry. They just wanted to post some poo poo in response and ignored it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
It's a troll post, right?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
No onions/onion powder in that recipe, or even salt. Pretty poo poo recipe imo.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
he should get into baking and pastries.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Can I sub dr pepper for the cola and el paso taco seasoning instead of mccormick?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

89 posted:

I dare somebody to make my midwestern turkey stew :colbert:

Will you venmo or google wallet me the money to make it? I live in an expensive part of the country but $40 should do it. And I still want to know if I can sub Dr Pepper and El Paso for the coke/mccormicks.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Suspect Bucket posted:

More salt, sugar, and MSG.

Possibly acid too?

Homers BBBq posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I usually don't add salt because store bought beef stock is already salty and I don't want to overdo it but I realized the homemade one doesn't have any... so I will definitely try adding some.

So that's it right there. You didn't season the food which is why it was bland. Even when using store bought stock, you should taste while cooking and salt accordingly.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I figured fish sauce is a recommendation for folk who would otherwise balk at the notion of adding actual MSG to their home cooked food.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I cook with it in Asian foods and use a lot of it because I think that flavor makes sense there. But I wouldn't use anywhere near that much in chili or ragu.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Anyone got some kenji-esque testing that shows fish sauce is doing something different than MSG? If you're not using enough to bring out the fishy taste then I feel like you're just getting the glutamate boost, which MSG would also take care of.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 7, 2017

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Fo3 posted:

E: I think it does different things to MSG. Like say for example I love the indo-foods mi goreng ramen/instant noodles popular in Australia. I tried to replicated the "bumbu" with various powders (onion, garlic, herbs) and msg but could never get close. I chucked in some fish sauce and wow. Probably not in the ingredients but now I can make it with stuff laying around the house or make a rice version nasi goreng with no effort.

There's fish sauce in the instant mi goreng packets? TIL.

edit: whoops I cannot read. You're saying it's not in the ingredients, but you're only able to replicate a sauce that doesn't have fish sauce with fish sauce.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I attribute my work chili cook off win to:

making beef broth from scratch
making my own chili paste
chipotles in adobo sauce
MSG

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

bewbies posted:

any thoughts on how to improve on this?

MSG. Beer. Home made stock.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
How much MSG were you adding to think 2 teaspoons of fish sauce is comparable?

Doesn't have to be dark/malty but it's fun to use a chocolate stout, or even a smoked beer like schlenkerla.

Making the broth/stock yourself is really night and day, too.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
If you want to save freezer space and money, you could reduce your stock instead of leaving it at 3 massive gallons. My housemate fills our freezer with un-reduced stock and its so annoying. He even leaves the lid on the stock pot so there's almost zero reduction.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Looks great to me. Nutmeg in ragu is good, I will try it in my next chili. Pork shoulder is a pro move as well.

Based on the instruction to 'cube' the chorizo, sounds like you're using Spanish not Mexican.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

BraveUlysses posted:

you can make mexican chorizo pretty easy since its not cured, just raw meat with seasoning and spices that has to be browned up before you eat it.

Where are you sourcing your lymph nodes and salivary glands? I'd like to try making mexican chorizo

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

The 3 random brands I saw at Mi Pueblo (a California Mexican supermarket chain) were beef. I think you can get both.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 3, 2017

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Bob Morales posted:

The stuff in those tubes is just...I don't know but it's not very good. The stuff from the local Mexican bakery is a hundred times better.

Can you go into more detail on this? Can you provide a specific brand? An actual Mexican supermarket chain in California sells the stuff you say is poo poo, but also carries like 10 brands, so knowing some brands you think are good would be really useful.

Why is a bakery selling meat products?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So they're a taqueria that sell groceries, so I can shop there for chorizo?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So it's just a market. Got it. We got those here of course but I've never seen one that sells their own house-made chorizo. I might not have been looking close enough though.

The chicharones on the other hand, my GOD. So good. Full cuts of belly pork deep fried, instead of just skins. Cheap as chips. Bit 'o lime juice, some onions, some hot sauce, oh baby.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Since you're hitting up the grocery store, throw in a can of chipotles in adobo

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Can Goulash talk go in this thread or no

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

bewbies posted:

I don't follow....

Don't use tri tip like last time

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
That seriouseats recipe doesn't really do it for me. It's a good jumping off point, but I'm thinking it needs:

Way more onion
More vinegar
Caraway seed (toasted, ground not whole)
No fish sauce, add MSG instead

My housemates picked this up for me in Budapest and so I'll do a little effort post when I use it:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Maybe add some MSG or fish sauce to elevate it. Otherwise sounds really good.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

fermun posted:

My annual chili cook-off is this weekend, but it is so loving hot, I'm going to hate cooking tomorrow. I'm a back-to-back champ with 2 different recipes, going for a threepeat this year and decided to defrost some things I've had in my freezer for a couple months, a pig heart and 2 rabbits. Going to also be using some beef but figured I'd throw in some weird items. It's either hubris or I'm going to dunk on everyone (it's hubris).

Good luck man. As the current reigning chili cook-off king at work, I feel your anxiety.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
gently caress yeah man well done.

I live around there too and if I had to make chili in 100+ weather I would have said gently caress it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Plinkey posted:

Am I doing this right?

Nope you hosed it up. Start over. Send me the fuckup though, I'll take care of it for you.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
It's that time of year again. Next wednesday is our 5th annual chili cook off and I'm current reigning chili king.The plan is pretty similar to last time.

Make my own beef stock from scratch.
3 - 5 varieties whole dried chilies, turned into a paste.
Whole chuck roast, whole pork shoulder roast, cubed by me.
Shitloads of onions.
Can 'o chipotles in adobo sauce.
Bottle ' chocolate stout. Contemplating using a smoke beer e.g. a German schlenkerla rauchbier.
Mexican oregano.
Maybe some tomato paste. Not sure on this.
MSG.

Also toying with the idea of a little bacon at the start to get things going.

edit: anyone tried a little finely ground coffee bean in their chili paste too?

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 9, 2017

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Tell me more about the tomatillos. How to pick good ones, how to prepare for use etc. They're easy to get here. Is canned an option?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I won our work chili cook off again, 2 years in a row now.

Sorry but I really can't be bothered providing measurements, just wing it that's what I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

BraveUlysses posted:

Hell yeah that's some chili

What did you use to make the stock? Bones and shanks?

Beef neck bone and a shin. From an asian market.